Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You probably already got an answer but we fully, and I mean to the maximum weight, loaded our 5 seater to travel home to Oregon from So Cal in April. Handled the load just fine.
Thanks for the reply. We finally got ours, and I'm too chicken to load it without support. It seems to flex a fair bit.

I'm going to build a support for the platform so that we can carry 1000+ lb loads without worrying about it.

Starting Saturday, we are going on a road trip, and we plan to camp out when we get to Yellowstone and Glacier national park. :)

• Love
Reactions: TechVP and Rossy
I built the support today. I still need to wrap it in carpet, but I'm fairly happy with it. I made it from some spare wood I had lying around.

I used 1/2" plywood, and cut 2 pieces. One is 7" x 21.5". The other is 7" x 38".

These form a T, where the 7x38 piece is toward the front. They are attached with some 7" long 1x1 scraps.

I'll take pictures when I get a chance.

This leaves room for 2 storage bins that are about 16" x 21" x 6", one for each side.

Congratulations!!! Another 5 seat model?

New discovery: that new 5 seat Model X 100D of mine has another very surprising difference from its 5 seat Model X 90D twin picked up the same day as yours on December 22, 2016. I was surprised because the Tesla literature indicated that the battery pack for the 100D Model X could be charged up to a 299 mile range. I just nuked up the 100D at a Supercharger for the first time today. It charged to a 350 mile range, with a little room left. Wow. Quite a difference from the 90D charging up to a 258 mile maximum range.

@Kincaid Do you have it set to show rated or ideal range?

My preference, of course, is always to be an optimist, so I have strived to have the ideal health, ideal wife, ideal kids, ideal job, ideal houses, and ideal cars & boats. Alas, I admit, it's a tricky path navigating those fantasies.

I kept the 90D set to "Ideal" range (it's under "Settings", then "Units and Format") as a means of encouraging myself to keep my driving habits oriented towards energy conservation. So I do the same with the 100D.

It will be fun to strive to nurse the mileage range up to 350 miles on the new 100D battery pack. But MP3Mike is absolutely correct to point out that the differences between "ideal" and "rated" are the same as those between "the idea and the reality." As a matter of pure psychology, if that display tells me I have a 350 mile range, then I am going to have some fun trying to reach that ideal goal. Of course, I am allowing for a few exceptions along the way, as in zooming out of bottlenecked traffic on a 10 lane highway at 90 mph for a few seconds to put the slugs who have been slowing things down way behind me, then settling back down to an energy conserving, ideal speed. That, after all, is what we like best about these Teslas we all have, even though we are all probably pretty good at dressing up our ambitions by talking about the horrors of gas, pollution, and antiquated technology, and the joys of clean air and energy conservation.

Did I ever get to the point, on any drive over the last six months, where my actual range reached the goal of my ideal range?
Nope. Not once. I'll keep trying. The closest I ever come is on the trips back from both Squaw Valley and Yosemite to Silicon Valley. It's a steep downhill run for the first 50 miles or so, and the Tesla charges up the battery power instead of expending power. Thanks to that wonderful network of Superchargers, I can ignore the battery power it took to get up those mountains.

@Seagram Check out this other thread: 5 seaters, how is your load floor supported behind the 2nd row? There you will see what a number of us have. My service center didn't know what was going on for a while, but by now your service center should definitely know. Bring a printout of that other thread with you and suggest that your service center get on the phone. Definitely talk to the service manager at this point.

Thank you for your help. We finally got the panels installed today. Much appreciated.

@Kincaid Congrats on the new car! Out of curiosity: was that less than 24h order an inventory car or did Tesla really build a custom order in less than 24 hours? Were you told to expect this at some stage or were you surprised?

Space at the Fremont factory has been crowded significantly by the addition of the huge Model 3 production line. They no longer deliver new cars at the factory, but have moved the delivery center to a huge, fancy building complex a few miles away, and also in Fremont. Storage for the new car inventory has also been moved away from Fremont to another huge building about 60 miles away in Lathrop, CA. I called my contact at Tesla, told her I wanted a clone of my 90D (all exactly the same options, color, etc), but that I wanted the new 100D battery pack. She came up with 3 choices: one in LA (with 1,000 miles on it and a little discount), one undriven in San Francisco, and one undriven in Lathrop. The Lathrop vehicle came with the tow hook receiver package (she waived the charge for that) and she told me that she could have it delivered the next morning (end of quarter politics). She did. As a fun coincidence, the same person (Lisa) who delivered my 90D at Fremont factory in December 2016 delivered the 100D at the new delivery center. I did all the paperwork and paid for the car online, showed up at the delivery center, gave Lisa a quick hello and goodbye hug, grabbed a few bottles of the fancy, flavored, free sparking water bottles, and was out the door with the new 100D in about 10 minutes.

Today's long awaited Model 3 delivery party from the perspective of the 2 year wait for my 5 seat Model X delivery:

As we all know, it was an extra long and frustrating wait for our 5 seat Model X cars to be delivered. Those scurrilous neighbors of mine all driving around in 6 and 7 seat Model X cars thought they had the better of it, and many of them got their cars way before the 5 seaters arrived, even though those 6 and 7 seaters had been ordered way after orders for many 5 seaters had been placed.

Then, of course, we had to deal with the sketchy Model X 5 seat rear trunk flooring panel blues. It took a few months to iron that out. Of course, the silver lining was that not a single 5 seat Model X was delivered without the updated sensors and motion detectors that those Model X cars delivered pre October 2016 will never have. In much the same way, those hasty souls who purchased a Model S with only one engine got a much less advanced car.

So that evolutionary tale brings us to the result of it all: the Model 3. Darwin would be proud. Ontology recapitulates phylogeny? A little. Survival of the fittest? A little. "Accelerated" evolution in action? Yup. The Model 3 cars that will be delivered tonight will be the result of a very entertaining and productive learning curve. Many folks buying these Model 3 cars don't care about fancy, or 2 engines, or 4 wheel drive. They want a modestly priced car that looks great and is all electric. Is it the Chevy Bolt? Not quite. Hybrids? Not even close. Get ready for some fun.

The bigger spending Model 3 buyers will fill in with cars outfitted with options that inch up step by step to a mini Model S. Do I like that approach? You bet. Why? It's all reflected in the price of Tesla stock going forward. Those folks with Roadsters, Model X cars and Model S cars were beta testers, guinea pigs, trial horses, and neophytes. Tesla now hands over the results: a Model 3 Tesla line whose sales will make those of us who spell Tesla "TSLA" happy campers. I have all the Teslas I need for now. I think I'll buy some more TSLA and let the Model 3 buyers do the rest. Could it be a bumpy ride? Sure. That's why we all have smart air suspension with GPS memory.

Last edited:
Picked up my 5-Seat 9/11/17. Cream interior Red Multi Coat. First Cream interior the delivery center has seen. I'm very happy with the rear cargo cover(S). I have Lloyd rubber mats.

Attachments

• IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0998.JPG
    IMG_0998.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    484 KB · Views: 148
Hello @Rossy ,

thanks for the pictures (although at some point your cellphone lens seems to have become smudgy).

The cream interior looks quite nice (I still prefer our tan, non-vegan, seats, though), but those BLACK seatbelts and locks do look out of place in a vehicle costing more than 100,000 USD/EUR.

These continuous equipment cutbacks (that are only marginally, if at all, reflected in the price), are annoying.

Happy driving with your new vehicle!!

Reactions: Rossy
Picked up my 5-Seat 9/11/17. Cream interior Red Multi Coat. First Cream interior the delivery center has seen. I'm very happy with the rear cargo cover(S). I have Lloyd rubber mats.
Rossy, congratulations on your new vehicle, I have the same configuration pending for 9/30 delivery. I noticed the Lloyd rubber mats and pet bars in your pictures...where can I get these?

Reactions: Rossy
Rossy, congratulations on your new vehicle, I have the same configuration pending for 9/30 delivery. I noticed the Lloyd rubber mats and pet bars in your pictures...where can I get these?
Evenex.com. I ordered a complete set. If I had to do it again I would exclude the mat for when the second row is folded. It need to be stored the rest of the time. Also the below the cargo area mats are so-so as to fit. Frunk, front floor rear floor and rear cargo mats are great.

I built the support today. I still need to wrap it in carpet, but I'm fairly happy with it. I made it from some spare wood I had lying around.

I used 1/2" plywood, and cut 2 pieces. One is 7" x 21.5". The other is 7" x 38".

These form a T, where the 7x38 piece is toward the front. They are attached with some 7" long 1x1 scraps.

I'll take pictures when I get a chance.

This leaves room for 2 storage bins that are about 16" x 21" x 6", one for each side.

Hi,
I´m new to this forum and just ordered my first Tesla car. Oh, yeah!

I´m curious about the pictures. I am awaiting my 5-seater TMX in a moth or so and I´m thinking of modifying the support so I can fit some cross-country skis under the seats. I live in Norway, so without the possibility of having a roof-mounted skirack on the TMX I need to find other solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: DaddyP713
... modifying the support so I can fit some cross-country skis under the seats. I live in Norway, so without the possibility of having a roof-mounted skirack on the TMX I need to find other solutions.
Your skis might fit under the "Load Floor." If your skis are longer than that, you may need to cut a small section of the load floor vertical support wall so the skis can slide under the 2nd row seats. Then your skis would even slide under the first row seats as well.

Your skis might fit under the "Load Floor." If your skis are longer than that, you may need to cut a small section of the load floor vertical support wall so the skis can slide under the 2nd row seats. Then your skis would even slide under the first row seats as well.

My thougts exactly. I also planned to reinforce the support wall so that we could still load cargo on the load floor without fearing the weight.

I’m waiting for some pictures to get ideas.

Sorry, the past 2 days have been very hectic for me. Hopefully I'll be able to take the pics tonight.

Thinking about your use case, I don't think my design will work, you'll have to modify it in order to store skis. Maybe I'll make a video of how I would modify it to sit your purposes.