Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X- 5 seat or 6 seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aggiman

Mar 27, 2022
Usa
Can anyone offer me some advice. I have currently ordered a five seat model X and I am considering switching it to a six-seater. Can I have some pros and cons for that. Obviously I know that the six-seater is more expensive and my request is somewhat vague.

Can anyone offer me some advice. I have currently ordered a five seat model X and I am considering switching it to a six-seater. Can I have some pros and cons for that. Obviously I know that the six-seater is more expensive and my request is somewhat vague.
I suggest you place the subject of this thread, in the search box at the top of the page.

For me, I did not want to give up the 2nd row that folds flat, nor the loss of all the storage space consumed by the third row. Plus the added benefit of not having enough seating for the grandkids. "Nope, we have to take your mom's car. Not enough seats in ours. Sorry." :cool:

I actually just called and tried to do this. However I ordered in Feb '22 before the price increase and so switching to the 6 seater would net me new (increased) base pricing.

So there's that to consider if you ordered prior to the increase(s)

we currently have 2 tesla. my M3LR was the first. it sits 5 people "comfortably". when we were ordering our MYLR, we we're torn with whether or not we should get the 7 seats. we are a family of 4 but my parents/in-laws sometimes comes along. i wanted to get the MYP and not get the 7 seats. wife wanted the 7 seats. we ended up getting the 7 seats. in our case, the third row is barely used. it's always folded down. there wasn't much (if any) of storage loss. only thing is we paid extra for it. hardly any room for suitcases when we have the third row up. we could opt for a roof rack. if i could go back, i would've pushed harder to convince the wife for the MYP over the 7 seat config.

now for the MXLR order, similar situation. we figured get the 7 seats just like our MYLR. it has a bigger trunk and more leg room on the third row. i fought to get the 6 seat config. we had minivans in the past and i liked that aisle to the third row and the captain style seats in the second row. i could care less since i always drive but it's great feature to have. i lost my case and the original order is for MXLR 7 seats. now that our EDD is closer i brought up the fact that we don't use the third row in the MYLR and moving the second row back and forth to get to the third row is a chore. the MX design is somewhat the same. if we will keep the third row, we really should get the 6 seats, plus it looks nicer IMO. surprisingly won that case and we changed our order to 6 seats.

so my opinion, if you must have the 3rd row and don't need all 7 seats, go for 6.
  • the captain chairs on the 2nd row is nice
  • the aisle to get to the third row is a convenience
  • looks nicer to me
  • you can fold 3rd row down when not needed for more room
why go for the 5 seats?
  • you don't need more than 5 seats
  • more available storage all the time in the trunk
  • i guess it's "lighter" so better efficiency? but i don't know anyone who drives their tesla to test the efficiency range. too fun to drive
  • 2nd row can fold flat
  • save money on seats you don't need, put it towards wheels? or body wrap?

Get either the 5 or 7 seat config. The "captains seats are a little lacking in that there are no arm rests except the door rest on one side AND they only fully tilt forward or back but the physical back of the seat does NOT hinge to lay flat or fold forward. IMO the 6-seat config is only eye candy as it looks different and cool but lacks practical useability. Also, with the 6-seat config if the 3rd row is folded down, any cargo in the rear can FLY FORWARD, through the middle row and hit the front area as there are no commercially available cargo tie-downs and no viable tie-down points except the 2 in the far rear and 2 on the back of the 3rd row. Almost a worthless setup! I would swap my 6-seat config with a 5-seat config in a second. I even asked Tesla Service if I could PAY to have it done-they said NO.

Also, with the 6-seat config if the 3rd row is folded down, any cargo in the rear can FLY FORWARD, through the middle row and hit the front area as there are no commercially available cargo tie-downs and no viable tie-down points except the 2 in the far rear and 2 on the back of the 3rd row.
Regarding this, there is this option, though not super cheap.

This guy's review of it is pretty amusing to watch 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Visvism and Leifmb
Get either the 5 or 7 seat config. The "captains seats are a little lacking in that there are no arm rests except the door rest on one side AND they only fully tilt forward or back but the physical back of the seat does NOT hinge to lay flat or fold forward. IMO the 6-seat config is only eye candy as it looks different and cool but lacks practical useability. Also, with the 6-seat config if the 3rd row is folded down, any cargo in the rear can FLY FORWARD, through the middle row and hit the front area as there are no commercially available cargo tie-downs and no viable tie-down points except the 2 in the far rear and 2 on the back of the 3rd row. Almost a worthless setup! I would swap my 6-seat config with a 5-seat config in a second. I even asked Tesla Service if I could PAY to have it done-they said NO.
I own the six seater and I agree with your opinion. Take the 7 seater not only is the six seater unpractical they do not fold flat like the seven seater does. This option allows you to use your X in camping mode and will allow you to sleep two adults. On long trips the children can sleep comfortably while you drive . I regret having the 6 seater for only that reason.

I have owned a 7 seater for a month and a couple of things I like about it are 1) the middle row seat backs recline a bit more than the 5 seat configuration and 2) because you can slide the middle row forward or back on the 7 seat config, I find that I do not need to fold down the middle row seats to fit longer items. Most of the longer items I need to put in the cargo area just need a couple of inched more length and that is easily done by scooting one side of the middle row seat forward. Nice if you have rear passengers and also need to carry longer items.

Reactions: Leifmb
I have owned a 7 seater for a month and a couple of things I like about it are 1) the middle row seat backs recline a bit more than the 5 seat configuration and 2) because you can slide the middle row forward or back on the 7 seat config, I find that I do not need to fold down the middle row seats to fit longer items. Most of the longer items I need to put in the cargo area just need a couple of inched more length and that is easily done by scooting one side of the middle row seat forward. Nice if you have rear passengers and also need to carry longer items.
I so wish I had that. :(

5-seater does not haver an extra AC unit for rear air. they share the blower from the front. I remember reading about this a while back when I was deciding on 5 or 7 for my '22 pre-facelift.

The 6 seater has the advantage of the middle row for access to the 3rd row, with the extra spacing, also makes the 3rd row move livable for adults by sticking their feet down the center aisle. Also I like all the extra space to store things inside with the captains' chair config.

However, everybody is correct, in that, you cannot fold flat, so wider and longer items cannot fit inside. Gotta decide on what's more important. I didn't have a choice on seat configuration since I ordered the Plaid. I love my 5-seater when I had it. I don't really need the extra 3rd row, so 5-seater was perfect. Usually it's just wife and I doing long drives in the X. cost less, more practical. Would have kept it if the trade-in wasn't so damn good last year.

-ThinkMac-

Reactions: Leifmb
5-seater does not haver an extra AC unit for rear air. they share the blower from the front. I remember reading about this a while back when I was deciding on 5 or 7 for my '22 pre-facelift.

The 6 seater has the advantage of the middle row for access to the 3rd row, with the extra spacing, also makes the 3rd row move livable for adults by sticking their feet down the center aisle. Also I like all the extra space to store things inside with the captains' chair config.

However, everybody is correct, in that, you cannot fold flat, so wider and longer items cannot fit inside. Gotta decide on what's more important. I didn't have a choice on seat configuration since I ordered the Plaid. I love my 5-seater when I had it. I don't really need the extra 3rd row, so 5-seater was perfect. Usually it's just wife and I doing long drives in the X. cost less, more practical. Would have kept it if the trade-in wasn't so damn good last year.

-ThinkMac-

Supposedly the AC units are identical for refresh models (with very little air output for the rear seats)

• Funny
Reactions: Mike7564