Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #34 is available now with topics timestamped. We covered Tesla's rollercoaster prices, Toyota pushing junk science, Mike's new Model 3, Optimizing track mode for snow driving, FSD V11 apparently coming by the end of this week, and more. You can watch and check out the chat replay on YouTube.

Model X- 5 seat or 6 seat

aggiman

Mar 27, 2022
Usa
Can anyone offer me some advice. I have currently ordered a five seat model X and I am considering switching it to a six-seater. Can I have some pros and cons for that. Obviously I know that the six-seater is more expensive and my request is somewhat vague.

DCGOO

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Can anyone offer me some advice. I have currently ordered a five seat model X and I am considering switching it to a six-seater. Can I have some pros and cons for that. Obviously I know that the six-seater is more expensive and my request is somewhat vague.
I suggest you place the subject of this thread, in the search box at the top of the page.

For me, I did not want to give up the 2nd row that folds flat, nor the loss of all the storage space consumed by the third row. Plus the added benefit of not having enough seating for the grandkids. "Nope, we have to take your mom's car. Not enough seats in ours. Sorry." :cool:

we currently have 2 tesla. my M3LR was the first. it sits 5 people "comfortably". when we were ordering our MYLR, we we're torn with whether or not we should get the 7 seats. we are a family of 4 but my parents/in-laws sometimes comes along. i wanted to get the MYP and not get the 7 seats. wife wanted the 7 seats. we ended up getting the 7 seats. in our case, the third row is barely used. it's always folded down. there wasn't much (if any) of storage loss. only thing is we paid extra for it. hardly any room for suitcases when we have the third row up. we could opt for a roof rack. if i could go back, i would've pushed harder to convince the wife for the MYP over the 7 seat config.

now for the MXLR order, similar situation. we figured get the 7 seats just like our MYLR. it has a bigger trunk and more leg room on the third row. i fought to get the 6 seat config. we had minivans in the past and i liked that aisle to the third row and the captain style seats in the second row. i could care less since i always drive but it's great feature to have. i lost my case and the original order is for MXLR 7 seats. now that our EDD is closer i brought up the fact that we don't use the third row in the MYLR and moving the second row back and forth to get to the third row is a chore. the MX design is somewhat the same. if we will keep the third row, we really should get the 6 seats, plus it looks nicer IMO. surprisingly won that case and we changed our order to 6 seats.

so my opinion, if you must have the 3rd row and don't need all 7 seats, go for 6.
  • the captain chairs on the 2nd row is nice
  • the aisle to get to the third row is a convenience
  • looks nicer to me
  • you can fold 3rd row down when not needed for more room
why go for the 5 seats?
  • you don't need more than 5 seats
  • more available storage all the time in the trunk
  • i guess it's "lighter" so better efficiency? but i don't know anyone who drives their tesla to test the efficiency range. too fun to drive
  • 2nd row can fold flat
  • save money on seats you don't need, put it towards wheels? or body wrap?

Reactions: Prairie

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC