Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 6-seater 2nd row center console now available (new builds only)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Just saw this...

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 11.47.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 11.47.16 PM.png

That is a nice option to have. It is quite reminiscent of the one we saw at the Model X launch in 2015.

I still think foldable seat-integrated arm-rests would be the optimal choice for me personally - they would still allow for improved third-row leg-room/access... Not that I'm expecting any such thing from Tesla, just pondering out loud.

screen-shot-2015-10-04-at-6-24-05-am.png

Anyone know what "Rear air conditioning and heating system included" means? Are they running HVAC through this thing? Doesn't seem like it needs it. Maybe for the third row?

It does not refer to the new center console. It is the old additional rear HVAC all 6/7 seaters get and 5 seater does not (more vents, more fans, AC amplifier?, third zone control on big screen).

Strange solution. I was hoping for a removable rear console like the S as this is also our dog's spot on road trips. The "rear HVAC" note also implies at first that there are actual controls but likely it's just a couple more vents. Rear controls for seat heaters and HVAC would be nice.

I also would just prefer some arm-rests that fold for the middle row.

Reactions: X Fan
Strange solution. I was hoping for a removable rear console like the S as this is also our dog's spot on road trips. The "rear HVAC" note also implies at first that there are actual controls but likely it's just a couple more vents. Rear controls for seat heaters and HVAC would be nice.

I also would just prefer some arm-rests that fold for the middle row.

Rear HVAC does not refer to this console at all.

It refers to 6 and 7 seaters having rear HVAC. That is not a new thing.

It mentions factory install required, so it seems no retrofits - at least not yet.
FWIW, I would expect the center console to be available from the Tesla store in the next 3-6 months (or whenever they can get enough built). I would also expect it to be shipped to your local SC and require them to install it for you (similar to towing package). My guestimate for price would be ~$800-$1000 including installation (slightly more than the charge when ordering).

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
FWIW, I would expect the center console to be available from the Tesla store in the next 3-6 months (or whenever they can get enough built). I would also expect it to be shipped to your local SC and require them to install it for you (similar to towing package). My guestimate for price would be ~$800-$1000 including installation (slightly more than the charge when ordering).

Yeah, obviously quite plausible. Depends, I guess, if there is much changed beneath the floor. Probably nothing more than cutting an opening in the carpet...

I was thinking, as a Model X 6-seater owner, if I were interested in this product - at the time of order or as a retrofit now...

I believe, probably not. I think this is a very welcome addition and the $500 premium is perfectly all right - and paying the speculated $1000 for a retrofit would be quite fine by me too. So, all good that this is offered, it makes the six-seater seem a little less an afterthought. And it seems perfectly functional for what it is, storage and cup holders, all very well.

I guess I just really have grown fond of the afterthought that the six-seater is. :) That completely outrageous space between the seats - for a car this size - manages to be somehow special, while also helping access to and seating in the third-row.

When I first saw the prototype of this console in the 2015 unveil images, I was thinking I'd want one. But now, I don't think I would order it were I ordering a new car or a retrofit.

I would order fold-down in-seat armrests for the second row, though. Not that we are ever going to see such a thing, now that a center console is offered, but I think that might be a nice option that would preserve the special space back there.

Still, very nice of Tesla to offer the option for people to choose. I appreciate that.

Reactions: vandacca
I'm in the same situation as @AnxietyRanger. I originally wanted a center console for the 2nd row, but now I'm not so sure. I'll wait until I can see one and see how it's designed/implemented (and how it affects 3rd row access/leg-room) before committing one way or another.

Very happy that Tesla is offering this option. Also happy with the new 20" gray wheels. I wonder if all these new items are thanks to the new guy from Volvo? Looking forward to new additions as well...