Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X, 6 Seater Cargo Space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They look cool but not the most practical setup compared to other suv type cars. Very handy to get in the third row because you can go between the middle seats and gives you extra storage between the two middle row seats. We have the six seater but the next one won’t be

They look cool but not the most practical setup compared to other suv type cars. Very handy to get in the third row because you can go between the middle seats and gives you extra storage between the two middle row seats. We have the six seater but the next one won’t be

what would you do?

we are eyeing an X next, and with 3 kids was going to do a 6 seater. A 7 seater folds flatter but I would never use the third seat in the middle row?

I'd never get another 6 seater. Those seats were:
1) Not as comfortable as they are pretty narrow, with no arm rests.
2) They ruin the cargo space usability of the X, you can't put anything easily in that is big/long like in 5/7 (folding) versions.
3) They are just slow electronic seats that are prone to breaking and did rattle at times or throw errors for us.

We have a 6 seater. No issues with seats. I like how they move out of the way automatically to allow easy access to 3rd row. We have the center console, great arm rest. Had car almost 4 years.

Attachments

• 98960FB2-5811-480E-ADCE-EDE8A3B8974E.jpeg
    98960FB2-5811-480E-ADCE-EDE8A3B8974E.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 1,728
  • 7FF99D67-BCD5-4318-92D6-DEDF0CCC48F3.jpeg
    7FF99D67-BCD5-4318-92D6-DEDF0CCC48F3.jpeg
    621.5 KB · Views: 1,013
Reactions: woodychau and GWord
I love the 6 seater but WITH the center console - the standard seats with no armrest are not comfortable. I really like the two rows of captain’s chairs and I feel the one touch button to slide it forward or back works very well.

That said, it’s just me and my wife and the occasional group that I’l haul around. If I used the X more like in my younger days, I’d definitely go with the 7 seater as it’s just more practical. Maybe not as cool and certainly not as good looking as the pedestal seats, but ABSOLUTELY more functional in nearly all use cases.

OP, good luck on your purchase!!!

I have a 2016 7 seater (so no fold flat) and my dad has a six seater. I am getting a 7 seater precisely for the ability to haul larger stuff. Whether it’s Hime Dept or IKEA runs or a quick bike when I don’t want to put the bike rack on. I have three kids and while none love the second row, middle seat they a) use it to hold their bags between the two kids in the second row on long trips or b) come in handy when I need to get another kid in for car pool.

I will miss the elegance of the pedestals and like the motorized movement, but gotta go with practicality.

I went with the 6 seater for the room and comfort of getting in/out 3rd seat. I was aware of the cargo but I hardly ever need to transport anything that would need the 2nd row to fold. I bought the 7cu freezer chest from costco and the whole thing fit in the back just fine.
For anything bigger than that I'll have the cybertruck to do the work.

Reactions: X007X
I have a 2016 7 seater (so no fold flat) and my dad has a six seater. I am getting a 7 seater precisely for the ability to haul larger stuff. Whether it’s Hime Dept or IKEA runs or a quick bike when I don’t want to put the bike rack on. I have three kids and while none love the second row, middle seat they a) use it to hold their bags between the two kids in the second row on long trips or b) come in handy when I need to get another kid in for car pool.

I will miss the elegance of the pedestals and like the motorized movement, but gotta go with practicality.
Def my one very small regret about the 4/2017 build MX I have. Actually, it's more my wife's issue than mine. The old 7-seater (mine) completely eliminates any opportunity for camping in the car.

BTW...I hate it that your profile pic got messed up after the website refresh a few weeks back. Mine did, too, but not enough to matter that much.

Had a 6-seater with no center console. I had only one time I remember where a folding second row would have been beneficial (when transporting a combo poker/bumper pool table that when flat, was wider than the 3rd row down cargo area).

Also appreciated the gap between captain's chairs - when there would be 6 passengers (parents + 2 kids in front-facing LATCH carseats + 2 grandparents), there was usually one adult that would be in the third row that needed/used the gap space to stretch out their legs.

Reactions: jb401 and MrTuna
what would you do?

we are eyeing an X next, and with 3 kids was going to do a 6 seater. A 7 seater folds flatter but I would never use the third seat in the middle row?
I have three kids. And a 6 seater. It's the best format. Easy to use third row. Split fold third row for more storage (though we never needs it). Great to change into ski gear in the middle row with extra space. Have done multiple road trips. Would never do 7 seater...makes third row awful.

We have the 7-seater. We have started to go camping and intend to continue (esp w/ covid) hitting all the state and national campsites. Having 2 people able to sleep w/ 2nd row collapsed is huge! The model X allows two people - adult and kid to sleep inside. This setup allows us to tow a smaller/lighter 2 person camper and I figure will give us more options with charging stops. Not to mention lesser cost with a smaller camper. The other benefit is that I can actually store the camper in the garage again avoiding fees. So if you are into camping you might want to consider.

Reactions: jb401
We just done a family trip to the local park, 6 people in the car, 2 bikes in the back (kids + folding), and room on the back for another few bikes via tow mounted bike carrier.

Unless you really really need to carry massive stuff all the time, the central aisle makes a massive difference for passengers in the 3rd, we are planning a 750 mile road trip with all 6 seats occupied, aside from a minivan not many cars can carry so much stuff + people in comfort.

Ofcourse any X is really just as fab for family duties :)

51122915533_f3c2925ff6_c_d.jpg

Reactions: VikH