Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X, 6 Seater, 'console' between 2nd row of seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the holes are there. They are buried under the carpet and "subfloor". The service
tech who showed up here at my house had never done one of these and didn't really
know how to do it ... but he was resourceful and a 'problem solver' who got the job
done and done right.
Since we do not regularly have more than 4 passengers (including driver) the center
console works very well for us. Our passengers have responded with "this arm rest
between the seats is really nice."
Next month we will give it a 'final test' because we will be taking a long trip
with 3 people in the car so someone will always be experiencing the console
between the second row of seats.

The shorter trips we've taken with 3 or more have all been huge successes. The
passengers in the 2nd row really like the view thru the roof of the MX!
- Jim in the PNW

Yes, the holes are there. They are buried under the carpet and "subfloor". The service
tech who showed up here at my house had never done one of these and didn't really
know how to do it ... but he was resourceful and a 'problem solver' who got the job
done and done right.
Since we do not regularly have more than 4 passengers (including driver) the center
console works very well for us. Our passengers have responded with "this arm rest
between the seats is really nice."
Next month we will give it a 'final test' because we will be taking a long trip
with 3 people in the car so someone will always be experiencing the console
between the second row of seats.

The shorter trips we've taken with 3 or more have all been huge successes. The
passengers in the 2nd row really like the view thru the roof of the MX!
- Jim in the PNW
That’s awesome. Glad to hear. Problem is, I’m waiting on a refreshed X and trying to figure out what to put there. I’d love to put an OEM looking console there, but I am not sure if the refreshed version would have holes in place since it was never designed for it. But then again, maybe they’re using old body parts so who knows.

ZK19,
The holes are underneath the carpet and 'sub floor' and although I pressed here there and
everywhere I could not discover/verify that they were there. IIRC both 2nd row seats were
removed in order to do the install of the center console. I purchased my console from one of
the members here on this list. I don't know about availability of these consoles from Tesla -
they are not real popular ... so you might check out other sources such as this list, the generic
Model X list, or even eBay. Make certain you get the one for the Model X 6-seater! (It matters.)
From the posts here on the list many Model X owners consider the rear center console to be
"in the way" ... for instance people with kids report that the kids like to be able to move from
the second row to the third row without having to climb over anything.
Although I have not tried it - since the center console doesn't interfere with the 2nd row
seats in terms of sliding forward and/or folding - it is my assumption that the access to the
third row is not changed by the existence of the 2nd row center console. We anticipate to
rarely (if ever?) use the 3rd row ... there's just the two of us.

I also considered just picking up something or other (such as a powered cooler) ... non-Tesla ...
that would fit between the seats and be the proper height to act as a center arm rest. I looked
around on the web and did not find 'the one I would buy/try'. Even if you find something like
that you would have to figure out how to mount it ... permanent/use the holes under the
carpet that the Tesla version uses? ... semi-permanent attach it to the seats/seat belts? ... some
other solution? My decision was to go with the Tesla version but that is probably not the only
way to go.

I'm sure there are other options/routes to take - a lot of it depends upon your particular use of
your Model X.
- Jim in the PNW

Reactions: zk19
ZK19,
The holes are underneath the carpet and 'sub floor' and although I pressed here there and
everywhere I could not discover/verify that they were there. IIRC both 2nd row seats were
removed in order to do the install of the center console. I purchased my console from one of
the members here on this list. I don't know about availability of these consoles from Tesla -
they are not real popular ... so you might check out other sources such as this list, the generic
Model X list, or even eBay. Make certain you get the one for the Model X 6-seater! (It matters.)
From the posts here on the list many Model X owners consider the rear center console to be
"in the way" ... for instance people with kids report that the kids like to be able to move from
the second row to the third row without having to climb over anything.
Although I have not tried it - since the center console doesn't interfere with the 2nd row
seats in terms of sliding forward and/or folding - it is my assumption that the access to the
third row is not changed by the existence of the 2nd row center console. We anticipate to
rarely (if ever?) use the 3rd row ... there's just the two of us.

I also considered just picking up something or other (such as a powered cooler) ... non-Tesla ...
that would fit between the seats and be the proper height to act as a center arm rest. I looked
around on the web and did not find 'the one I would buy/try'. Even if you find something like
that you would have to figure out how to mount it ... permanent/use the holes under the
carpet that the Tesla version uses? ... semi-permanent attach it to the seats/seat belts? ... some
other solution? My decision was to go with the Tesla version but that is probably not the only
way to go.

I'm sure there are other options/routes to take - a lot of it depends upon your particular use of
your Model X.
- Jim in the PNW
Thanks Jim. Appreciate the insight. That’s very helpful.

It’s only the 4 of us (2 kids), so we really will only need the back row when visitors come from out of town. And even that’s rare.

I think I’ll have to just wait until it arrives and check on the options. I couldn’t find much either in terms of aftermarket products. I will probably just stick a cooler there for road trips and general storage for kids stuff. Probably will just tie down the cooler with some straps so it doesn’t move too much.

1) It is black, yes. 2) Yes, I pulled this from my 6 seater Model X. 3) It was pretty easy to remove and would be easy to install. Just have to screw in the 4 bolts into the floor panel (make sure you have 4 holes). Maybe an hour total to install. 4) Yes, made by tesla.

Another member is interested in it as well, so let me know if you're still interested.
Is this still available?

1) It is black, yes. 2) Yes, I pulled this from my 6 seater Model X. 3) It was pretty easy to remove and would be easy to install. Just have to screw in the 4 bolts into the floor panel (make sure you have 4 holes). Maybe an hour total to install. 4) Yes, made by tesla.

Another member is interested in it as well, so let me know if you're still interested.
Is this still available?
I was actually about to list my 2nd row center console on ebay. Happy to sell it to you for $150 + shipping. I pulled mine because I wanted easier access to the 3rd row for my kids. It's in excellent condition, pictures attached.
Hello, is this still available

That’s awesome. Glad to hear. Problem is, I’m waiting on a refreshed X and trying to figure out what to put there. I’d love to put an OEM looking console there, but I am not sure if the refreshed version would have holes in place since it was never designed for it. But then again, maybe they’re using old body parts so who knows.
Hi....I own a 22 MX ..... did you check if there were pre existing holes for the 2nd row console?