Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X (6 Seater) Family Car Cross Shopping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife and I are considering going to a single family car for us and our three kids. Currently driving a Volvo XC90 and Model 3, M3 will be traded in.

We did a test drive yesterday of the Model X and determined the six seater could truly be our family car, however are trying to justify the investment by identify our best alternative option as a price comparison. Anyone done any cross shopping to the six seater for a family of 5? What would be best alternative option? Mini-van is a no go with my wife.

Currently we've seen the VW Atlas and found their 6 seater decent for the price point and similiar in size to the MX. Any others we should check out?

In the XUV space you have the standard RX, X , GL etc ...the X is just a different vehicle from an ICE ...space wise you will lose some from the Volvo ..I have an RX35xx and X now .. and have driven both X5M and ML ..I wouldn’t go back from current X

Reactions: seantay00
We have a family of 5 and had a Range Rover with three rows before getting a Tesla. Range Rovers do not come with captain chairs in the middle row so getting kids in and out of the back row is a daily fight. We still have a big Infiniti SUV that seats 7 as a backup. Unfortunately for us only three row cars with middle captain seats work so the field becomes sparse. The MX is not an investment by any standards but there is no other car in the market that fits the above criteria, so it is in a field of one. In the price range of a MX or anything close to that range there is only the Navigator which is basically a barge.

The captains chairs are a major differentiator IMO. The convenience of getting into 3rd row and the separation btwn the 2nd row passengers is huge for everyday family. just my 2 cents. (just switched from a S to the X three months ago and loving it)

Wife and I are considering going to a single family car for us and our three kids. Currently driving a Volvo XC90 and Model 3, M3 will be traded in.

We're in a similar boat, only we're trading in the Volvo and are going for the 7-seater X..

Anyone done any cross shopping to the six seater for a family of 5? What would be best alternative option? Mini-van is a no go with my wife.

XC90 T8 was our alternative, which we bought in 2016 as at that point the X was still iffy (highest range was the old 90D, glossy black seats, no fold-flat 2nd row, higher cost, etc). Today I don't see any solid competition with the X. No other EV has the interior space, or the range, or the road-trip capability. Chrysler Pacifica at least has a decent in-town range on electric (about double the XC90's), but it's a minivan.

Nice will have to check out those as well. Pass through is a must for us so field is limited. Highlander has passthrough however third row is super cramped and the three seat third row is laughable. Need to check out Acadia and Enclave but those American cars give me concerns. New XC90 looks to have 6 seater but price is very high... rather pay for X.

Reactions: Blaine
We're in a similar boat, only we're trading in the Volvo and are going for the 7-seater X..

XC90 T8 was our alternative, which we bought in 2016 as at that point the X was still iffy (highest range was the old 90D, glossy black seats, no fold-flat 2nd row, higher cost, etc). Today I don't see any solid competition with the X. No other EV has the interior space, or the range, or the road-trip capability. Chrysler Pacifica at least has a decent in-town range on electric (about double the XC90's), but it's a minivan.

I have a 7 seat config and it's not great. The 6 is much more comfortable. 7 is cramped and difficult to get into.

We did a test drive yesterday of the Model X and determined the six seater could truly be our family car, however are trying to justify the investment by identify our best alternative option as a price comparison. Anyone done any cross shopping to the six seater for a family of 5? What would be best alternative option? Mini-van is a no go with my wife.

Currently we've seen the VW Atlas and found their 6 seater decent for the price point and similiar in size to the MX. Any others we should check out?

We own a 3 and X. I would strongly urge you not to trade in the 3. It's a better car to take around when you don't need to take all the kids and a way better grocery getter/commuter car compared to the X. We love the 3 way more compared to the X as it's more fun, agile and the UI is nicer. Also with all the price drops the 3 had depreciated horribly, worst of any car I've ever owned. Paid $61k after taxes and after 15k miles and 12 months im getting quotes of $36-38k from Carvana/shift. Factoring rebates and all it's pretty poor resale value.The 6 seat Model X is the best seat config for the X. Ours is a 7 seat and the 3rd row is cramped and a pain to use.

The 6 seater would be fantastic for your family.
Elon is also a family Man and that had much to do with his design. The Falcon wing doors make getting child seats installed and much more comfortable for Mom and Dad to strap them in. The pass through to the way back seats is also pretty good.

The panorama windshield gives back seaters a much more spacious look at where they are going.
The pedestal seats are designed to allow storage underneath for back packs, purses, coolers etc.

Don't forget the great bonus of the Frunk. Can carry lots of kid stuff up there as well.

We own a 3 and X. I would strongly urge you not to trade in the 3. It's a better car to take around when you don't need to take all the kids and a way better grocery getter/commuter car compared to the X. We love the 3 way more compared to the X as it's more fun, agile and the UI is nicer. Also with all the price drops the 3 had depreciated horribly, worst of any car I've ever owned. Paid $61k after taxes and after 15k miles and 12 months im getting quotes of $36-38k from Carvana/shift. Factoring rebates and all it's pretty poor resale value.The 6 seat Model X is the best seat config for the X. Ours is a 7 seat and the 3rd row is cramped and a pain to use.
Would love to keep both, but just doesn't make financial sense for us. We live right next to the Metra stop and work daily in the city and use the train. I checked my driving log and we drove the Model 3 probably 4 times last month as my wife uses the family SUV all week long and most trips on weekend involve three kids. With around $750 cost per month, that's nearly $200/per drive.

As for depreciation I bought mine for $62K as well, received several private sale offers for $49K this week. So that would be around a $13K hit, but only $6.5K hit with the tax credit offset. That's roughly a 10% effective depreciation hit over first 6 months, which I think is pretty typical for new cars. For the joy the car provided I have no complaints.

The question now is as a one car family what is the best option...

Would love to keep both, but just doesn't make financial sense for us. We live right next to the Metra stop and work daily in the city and use the train. I checked my driving log and we drove the Model 3 probably 4 times last month as my wife uses the family SUV all week long and most trips on weekend involve three kids. With around $750 cost per month, that's nearly $200/per drive.

As for depreciation I bought mine for $62K as well, received several private sale offers for $49K this week. So that would be around a $13K hit, but only $6.5K hit with the tax credit offset. That's roughly a 10% effective depreciation hit over first 6 months, which I think is pretty typical for new cars. For the joy the car provided I have no complaints.

Understandable, and that's a great private party offer. Get connected with a good owner advisor at your local showroom and look out for inventory deals. Next month there will be absolute steals. For reference I found a demo P100D w/ ludicrous, 6 seat interior, black / white interior, and FSD for $99,100. The killer part was they discounted it $20k to $79,100 and had ludicrous for free for past owners.

Only advice is do not buy a 75 D. It's range is not enough for a family car, it's the biggest regret I've had with a Tesla and it collects dust on trips while we take the 3.

Great tip on the 75D. The pricing has been tempting but my gut was telling me the same thing. Could to hear it from someone else. If it’s our only car range becomes even more important. That deal is incredible by the way... is the free ludicrous for any model prior owner? Or only prior X owners?

Understandable, and that's a great private party offer. Get connected with a good owner advisor at your local showroom and look out for inventory deals. Next month there will be absolute steals. For reference I found a demo P100D w/ ludicrous, 6 seat interior, black / white interior, and FSD for $99,100. The killer part was they discounted it $20k to $79,100 and had ludicrous for free for past owners.

Only advice is do not buy a 75 D. It's range is not enough for a family car, it's the biggest regret I've had with a Tesla and it collects dust on trips while we take the 3.

Did you use a site to search for deals, or did your OA send it to you? I'm considering taking advantage of the free Ludi upgrade if the right deal comes along, but since my X75 is only 9 months old, I'm trying to minimize the hit as much as possible...

Same boat here. Probably looking to get something towards end of June for the end of quarter discounts. I'm surprised you received such a high offer via private sale, but good on you! Did you utilize Craigslist or FB?

Did you use a site to search for deals, or did your OA send it to you? I'm considering taking advantage of the free Ludi upgrade if the right deal comes along, but since my X75 is only 9 months old, I'm trying to minimize the hit as much as possible...

Local showroom OA. I called the showroom and asked for inventory models and just said I was a current owner looking to upgrade.

• Helpful
Reactions: Spelly88