Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D is Gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this myself. Gotta be a website update in progress. No reason to dump to 60D. That being said...we have one ordered with it being delivered in March (by our choice). There's no way we will upgrade to a 75D.

If they did drop the 60D, it would indicate they have more orders for the X than they can manufacture.

Maybe. It could also indicate that tesla needs the avg per car margin to increase/the take rate on 60's was more than expected. Delivering 60's with 75kWh packs only makes sense if the cost savings realized by having a single sku plus revenue generated by 60->75 upgrades generates more revenue and profit then offering just the 75 model. While you might not upgrade, there are many that would have purchased the 75 if the 60 wasn't offered.

If the 60 ends up being a sweet spot, Tesla might decide to invest in building a 60kWh pack (again).

Reactions: cwerdna
It's always been assumed that the 60kWh option was to boost Model X sales. With it being gone it simply means they don't need the boost any more. I do believe many would have purchased the 75 if 60 wasn't offered (as there has been orders changing from 75 to 60 after the 60 announcement). However at least for me it wouldn't have happened last quarter.

I guess it will help Tesla's bottom line, and create more of a price differential with the S, but it's a pity it limits the potential X customer base and adoption. Many families with young kids will not consider a sedan, and the Y is so far away.

It's an interesting question: how many would-be 60D buyers would upgrade to the 75D, and how many wouldn't buy the car at all? The 60D is 10% cheaper ($9000), but you get only 12% less in-town range since you can safely charge to 100% all the time.

I'm going to guess that most wealthy shoppers opt for as much range as they can afford, so many buyers would simply cancel. The exception would be two car familes would use the X only as a city car, and not for vacations. That would imply their other car was an SUV, which I would think is uncommon.

Last edited:
Nice! We got ours last week. I just optioned out a 75D with same options we chose, and it looks like it's $6500 more than what we paid, so initially we save money, but if we upgrade our X now after the fact for $9500, Tesla will make an additional $3000 than if we had gone w 75D up front.

Congrats on the car!

Sorry I may not be accurate on that price difference in my last post as our final price probably included taxes but the cash price on Tesla site does not?

The $3000 difference seemed odd because I thought it was only an extra $500 to upgrade after the purchase. I don't think the website includes taxes because they don't know what state you're taking delivery in.

It's still a 9K difference between 60D and 75D. There's a $500 fee to upgrade after the fact. If you're in a state without sales tax on EVs, then if you upgrade after the fact you're also out the sales tax that you would have avoided on 9,500.

It's an interesting question: how many would-be 60D buyers would upgrade to the 75D, and how many wouldn't buy the car at all? The 60D is 10% cheaper ($9000), but you get only 12% less same in-town range since you can safely charge to 100% all the time.

I'm going to guess that most wealthy shoppers opt for as much range as they can afford, so many buyers would simply cancel. The exception would be two car familes would use the X only as a city car, and not for vacations. That would imply their other car was an SUV, which I would think is uncommon.
The 75D has always been 9,000 more expensive and still is. You might be looking at the wrong place.