Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D is Gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X has > $50k in options and I don't have Ludicrous.

Don't you think the Model 3 will have similar options?

I think it would be a PR (and stock) disaster for the press to see the 3 as another luxury car. If you have to pay $70K to get a 3 (which is a small-ish car) within the first year or two of production, many deposit holders will feel betrayed. Elon has said he expects the average selling price of the 3 to be $42K IIRC, but who knows the timeline for that average.

In my mind the 60d is cutting into their bottom line as they are really selling 75d at a significant discount. The range is definitely enough for many families for daily commutes. Not every family goes on road trips.
It makes sense that 60D orders were cannibalizing 75D orders. I certainly would have ordered a 60D if it was available when we bought our 75D. We're usually charging to 60-75% anyway.

Post-sale upgrades were probably minimal. Setting the base model as a 40D or 50D would make the upgrade to 75D more appealing.

I think it would be a PR (and stock) disaster for the press to see the 3 as another luxury car. If you have to pay $70K to get a 3 (which is a small-ish car) within the first year or two of production, many deposit holders will feel betrayed. Elon has said he expects the average selling price of the 3 to be $42K IIRC, but who knows the timeline for that average.
So you don't think the Model 3 will have options like leather seats, UHFS, metallic paint, larger battery capacity, insane or ludicrous mode, and oh yeah, supercharger access?

So you don't think the Model 3 will have options like leather seats, UHFS, metallic paint, larger battery capacity, insane or ludicrous mode, and oh yeah, supercharger access?

I went to truecar.com and spec'd a fully loaded BMW 3 series: biggest engine, all wheel drive, metallic paint, leather, highest end tech. package, and it came to $52K. This wasn't an M, but the context of this discussion is the 3 competing with a Model X 60D, and I wouldn't call the 60D an M competitor. I don't think anyone ordering a 3 with Ludicrous would cross shop the 60D, but even so I can't see even a fully loaded Tesla 3 costing significantly more than a fully loaded BMW 3. The Tesla 3 is not a intended to be a halo car. It's not going to have the same level of extreme price discrimination when it comes to options as X or S, in my opinion, if only because new buyers are going to expect options pricing like the BMW 3 or any other 35K car. They're not going to drive around in cloth when they can have a BMW with leather for less.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
I went to truecar.com and spec'd a fully loaded BMW 3 series: biggest engine, all wheel drive, metallic paint, leather, highest end tech. package, and it came to $52K. This wasn't an M, but the context of this discussion is the 3 competing with a Model X 60D, and I wouldn't call the 60D an M competitor. I don't think anyone ordering a 3 with Ludicrous would cross shop the 60D, but even so I can't see even a fully loaded Tesla 3 costing significantly more than a fully loaded BMW 3. The Tesla 3 is not a intended to be a halo car. It's not going to have the same level of extreme price discrimination when it comes to options as X or S, in my opinion, if only because new buyers are going to expect options pricing like the BMW 3 or any other 35K car. They're not going to drive around in cloth when they can have a BMW with leather for less.

Incorrect assumptions ... compare the Model 3 to the performance of the M BMW 3 series :cool:

someone at a supercharger told me that the rumors are they won't offer super charging for the model 3...

this is a good article about what may be announced next week and in the coming month or two:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4011174-nature-teslas-new-product
Elon have several times said that Model lll will be able to supercharge but he haven't said that it will be free. If tesla said that Model lll can't use supercharger they would probebly see about half of the reservation disappear and TSLA would fall as a stone. There is just no way that tesla would drop that, its probebly one of Teslas best sale argument that you can use supercharger.

Last edited:
i have a saved X60D configuration in my profile that "requires order payment to proceed". The design is not editable but can it be ordered as-is?

I also had a saved X60D configuration in my profile that only "required payment to proceed". I submitted payment on Saturday(after the X60D was removed from the design studio) without making any changes to the config. The order confirmation came and it was for a 75D! That's pretty uncool if you ask me.

I also had a saved X60D configuration in my profile that only "required payment to proceed". I submitted payment on Saturday(after the X60D was removed from the design studio) without making any changes to the config. The order confirmation came and it was for a 75D! That's pretty uncool if you ask me.

Did the price go up or did the price stay at the X60D level?

The price went up to the 75D level. That's why it was pretty uncool. If I was just a regular guy who wasn't on the forums it's conceivable that I might not have even noticed it. It's crazy that when you submit the payment on the website that it doesn't show you the config and the price at that time.

We stopped at our first supercharger the other day and it DEFINITELY did not slow at all as it approached the %100 percent mark. Kinda nice since it filled up a lot faster than we thought it would, which made for an extra special first supercharger visit. And I'm sure Tesla has it cycling which cells it charges so as not to unevenly degrade over time if we never upgraded.
@MP3Mike well this is the most befuddling "Dislike" I have ever earned. Care to explain?