Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D is Gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would be a PR (and stock) disaster for the press to see the 3 as another luxury car. If you have to pay $70K to get a 3 (which is a small-ish car) within the first year or two of production, many deposit holders will feel betrayed. Elon has said he expects the average selling price of the 3 to be $42K IIRC, but who knows the timeline for that average.

The Model 3 is targeting both BMW 3-series and M3. So the price range is going from 35K to over 80K+ for the Performance / M3 equivalent. Tesla is trying to ramp production goals so I highly doubt anyone who had preordered in NA to have to wait 2 years.

The larger battery option would be similar to moving up from a 328 to 340, adding dual motors, gets you into the BMW "x" designation, then adding the P and Ludicrous would move into the BMW M3 territory.

I can easily configure a BMW 340ix to over 65K.

On the Model 3, I personally would consider the only must-have option to be Autopilot.

Attachments

• $65K BMW 340ix.png
    $65K BMW 340ix.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
Reactions: goneskiian
@MP3Mike well this is the most befuddling "Dislike" I have ever earned. Care to explain?

Because of the misinformation: "And I'm sure Tesla has it cycling which cells it charges so as not to unevenly degrade over time if we never upgraded."

That isn't how it works; all the cells are charged at the same time to the same level. In the case of software limited capacity it just charges, or discharges, to a different level. So a 60 operates in a smaller state of charge range. We don't know what that range is since Tesla hasn't said but it is most likely 0-80% or 20-100%. But it could be 10-90%, or something else as well. The best evidence I have seen is that it is the 20-100% range, but we don't have concrete proof at this point. Not to mention that Tesla could change it anytime they want. (So what we know today might not be true tomorrow.)

The Model 3 is targeting both BMW 3-series and M3. So the price range is going from 35K to over 80K+ for the Performance / M3 equivalent. Tesla is trying to ramp production goals so I highly doubt anyone who had preordered in NA to have to wait 2 years.

The larger battery option would be similar to moving up from a 328 to 340, adding dual motors, gets you into the BMW "x" designation, then adding the P and Ludicrous would move into the BMW M3 territory.

I can easily configure a BMW 340ix to over 65K.

I don't want to quibble too much, but I purposefully did not spec. the Grand Tourismo edition because it is significantly bigger than both the Tesla 3 and the stock BMW 3 (190" vs. 184") which, for me, is not apples to apples. That's why you get $65K and I get $52K. The GT is about halfway between a Model 3 and a Model S. But heck, maybe people will compare the GT and not the shorter 3 series.

I agree, though, that if they can solve the battery overheating and weight issues (see: Nurburgring) that have kept Tesla off the track, they should price that Model 3 configuration like an M3, which can go north of $90K. I don't expect the 3 to be a sports/track car, but maybe some others would, and maybe they'll be right!

Reactions: shokunin
Because of the misinformation: "And I'm sure Tesla has it cycling which cells it charges so as not to unevenly degrade over time if we never upgraded."

That isn't how it works; all the cells are charged at the same time to the same level. In the case of software limited capacity it just charges, or discharges, to a different level. So a 60 operates in a smaller state of charge range. We don't know what that range is since Tesla hasn't said but it is most likely 0-80% or 20-100%. But it could be 10-90%, or something else as well. The best evidence I have seen is that it is the 20-100% range, but we don't have concrete proof at this point. Not to mention that Tesla could change it anytime they want. (So what we know today might not be true tomorrow.)
Sorry I wasn't aware you were a member of their engineering team.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Do you think you are part of a sizable demographic? People who won't buy the 75, but will buy the 60 with an immediate plan to upgrade soon, seemed (to me) to be a rare breed. Do you have any evidence otherwise?

Thank you kindly.
Only evidence is my friends at the Cincinnati dealership and some other people on the forums have done likewise, so I'm extrapolating that out to the larger population however that may not be accurate on a grand scale.

You're welcome kindly.

Only evidence is my friends at the Cincinnati dealership and some other people on the forums have done likewise, so I'm extrapolating that out to the larger population however that may not be accurate on a grand scale.

I also fall into this bucket. I was on the waiting list since 2014 but canceled in January due to price. When they dropped it $9,000 for the 60D, I bought one within a few weeks.

The 60 pack is charging all of the cells as if it were a 75. The only variable is whether they are limiting the top-end of the battery or the low-end of the battery. By your supercharging experience, it seems to limit the top-end. Your 100% is 80-something percent on the 75 packs charge. Your batteries are simply never getting a full charge.
Did I miss a talk where Elon or JB stated that this is how they charge the 60kw battery? Or are there just a lot of electrical engineers on here? Haha my apologies I am a lowly businessman with just a smattering of battery / electrical knowledge gained from what I read or hear about.

They're doing it for the MS and Telsa doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

I predict the Model S 60 will be also be dropped. It just doesn't make sense to sell batteries that are not being used to their full potential once the Model 3 is close to coming out. For now, Tesla is appealing to the price-conscious 60 buyer but I don't think that will continue for too much longer since they might want to entice those buyers over to a well-optioned Model 3 and have every battery they sell used to its full potential. But that's just my guess.

Reactions: goneskiian
I don't want to quibble too much, but I purposefully did not spec. the Grand Tourismo edition because it is significantly bigger than both the Tesla 3 and the stock BMW 3 (190" vs. 184") which, for me, is not apples to apples. That's why you get $65K and I get $52K. The GT is about halfway between a Model 3 and a Model S. But heck, maybe people will compare the GT and not the shorter 3 series.

I agree, though, that if they can solve the battery overheating and weight issues (see: Nurburgring) that have kept Tesla off the track, they should price that Model 3 configuration like an M3, which can go north of $90K. I don't expect the 3 to be a sports/track car, but maybe some others would, and maybe they'll be right!

My bad, didn't know the GT version was a bigger than the standard 3 series. I don't expect the average 3 priced that high (70k) anyways unless you want the Performance option.

I doubt the 3 would do any better at the track than current Teslas, it's not their market. The S/X does not have the cooling capacity for the motor/pack to deal with the 'Ring. Hopefully Roadster 2.0 will have redesigned motor cooling and pack cooling to deal with track use.

Did I miss a talk where Elon or JB stated that this is how they charge the 60kw battery? Or are there just a lot of electrical engineers on here? Haha my apologies I am a lowly businessman with just a smattering of battery / electrical knowledge gained from what I read or hear about.

We're all still speculating here about the 60kw charging, at least, speculating whether the top or bottom end is restricted. The 2013 model S 40kw was the first software limited pack. My S40 can only charge up to 68% capacity of the 60kw pack. So it's top-end is limited/restricted. When I hit zero, it's near zero. There is no 100% charging on the S40.

If it's bottom end restricted you might charge to 100% as if the battery is really at 100% but when you hit 0 on a 60 the pack may be really at 20%. If your supercharging didn't taper to a crawl when it reached 95% then that seems to point towards the top-end being restricted just like the S40.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture