Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D Now Available in Design Studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct!
But what is the ratio of pre-orders that turn into orders? EVObsession thought in October 2015, that they had around 30,000.

But if they "need orders", can't they turn some of these "preorders" (which means people expressed interest and even put money down in some cases) to orders (see, I know the difference between pre-orders and orders ;) My english isn't that bad!) ?

Isn't that easier than trying to reach another group by lowering the price/capabilities point?

In a case like mine, I cancelled my deposit and got my $5K back. Until they make some changes to the vehicle itself, they won't be turning me into an order. It would be fascinating to see how many of the original deposits were refunded like mine.

This is bad news for Tesla shareholders, in that it clearly shows that X demand is weak. There is no way the company would do this if demand for the 90 and the 75 was in excess of production capacity.

Not necessarily, although I'm sure it factors in. Like I said before, there is a limited pool of 6 figure car buyers.

There are 400,000 bored Model 3 reservation holders, some with $$ and limited patience to wait. Why not capture some of this potential, before they wander off and buy something else. We don't know what the current Model 3 reservation abandonment rate is, but it could be increasing.

Now, can they build a 5 seat, coil spring X? They haven't yet.....

Drop the price a little more, get fit/finish where a $75,000 vehicle belongs, sell me a service manual, fix the FWD sensor/latch debacle and I'll buy an X to replace one of my ICE SUVs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Was just on the phone with Tesla sales, they confirmed that the 60D is software limited 75D.

I tried asking if they can change my confirmed S60 (delivery late Nov-Dec) to an X60 order. But the nice representative on the phone couldn't do it without cancelling the S and forfeiting the $2500 deposit.
Just escalate it to a manager or regional manager, I bet they can do the change easily.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
If you are the worrying type, you should have been worried long before this with TSLA.

Below the 1% crowd, there is price sensitivity with respect to a car purchase. There are only so many 6 figure $ purchasers. Why not open the market? The MS 60 was a good trial balloon. A $75K premium SUV is a great move, as it starts to look more and more reasonable to the next segment of purchasers. Those who would buy a Q7, Cayenne, GL, QX, or X at a very similar price point. To not explore the bottom end would be foolish on Tesla's part.

You should be more worried about bored, fickle, $1K Model 3 reservation holders bailing out as the inevetible delays in production, and a huge backlog discourage the wait. It will be interesting to see the reported numbers for this past quarter for cancellations. Why not capture the "upper" portion of this crowd, who are not holding out for a $35K car?
Well said..

I'm sincerely curious about how this software controlled range works. Has anyone checked with Tesla or has knowledge? Thanks.

1) Will the car charge up to 75 kwh, but not use the last 15 kwh?
2) Can people call ranger service if they run out of charge? With S60, would Tesla just enable the additional 15 kwh in such cases? Seems like that will be much cheaper than sending a tow truck to charge the car.
3) How will the range loss over the years and miles be affected? When the battery is 60kwh, it would be a physical change in battery that will cause range degradation. Will the range loss be simulated with software for X60, even though the 75 kwh battery will be capable of providing 200 miles of range?

I'm sincerely curious about how this software controlled range works. Has anyone checked with Tesla or has knowledge? Thanks.

1) Will the car charge up to 75 kwh, but not use the last 15 kwh?
2) Can people call ranger service if they run out of charge? With S60, would Tesla just enable the additional 15 kwh in such cases? Seems like that will be much cheaper than sending a tow truck to charge the car.
3) How will the range loss over the years and miles be affected? When the battery is 60kwh, it would be a physical change in battery that will cause range degradation. Will the range loss be simulated with software for X60, even though the 75 kwh battery will be capable of providing 200 miles of range?
It will be the same as the range-limited S60. All your questions have known answers. The answers are:
1. No
2. No, because 1
3. No

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeC
It will be the same as the range-limited S60. All your questions have known answers. The answers are:
1. No
2. No, because 1
3. No

Thanks, but the first part of #2 is not related to #1. Can Tesla drivers of X75, x90, S70, S85 etc. call ranger service if they run out of charge at some odd location? Then, x60 drivers will also be eligible. No?

#3. You answered 'No'. So there will be NO range loss over the years, and X60 will always provide 200 miles of range under EPA conditions?

Can you please also cite your source for these answers for either S60 or X60? Thanks again.

Thanks, but the first part of #2 is not related to #1. Can Tesla drivers of X75, x90, S70, S85 etc. call ranger service if they run out of charge at some odd location? Then, x60 drivers will also be eligible. No?

#3. You answered 'No'. So there will be NO range loss over the years, and X60 will always provide 200 miles of range under EPA conditions?

Can you please also cite your source for these answers for either S60 or X60? Thanks again.
Ccutrer answered another reason why #2 is No. Dead battery isn't covered. But even if it was, then very unlikely would they unlock the last 15kWh on the spot to let you drive home instead of sending service to you. And the reason it is related to #1 is because the battery doesn't charge the full 75kwh if you are software limited to 60 kWh. A full charge on a limited 60 is 60, not 75. So, even if they unlocked it, you'd still be out of juice. And they'd have to send someone to you to tow, vs. unlock.

And for #3, it will not have 200 forever. It will degrade just as any other would. There's no simulating what degradation might be. The software limit is limiting to 80% of the battery. So as the overall battery degrades, the 80% that is usable will degrade accordingly. One might argue it will degrade more slowly since you never can do a potentially harmful 100% (I.e. 75kwh) full charge, but it won't make a big difference.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd

It is in tesla's bottomline interest to simulate the degradation even if you can always have 60KWh. Again they want you to fork up the $9K. I expect all the software limited cars to slowly decrease in range over time even though theoreticly they can just keep you at 60KWh all the time.

Does it rub anyone else the wrong way that tesla sent out an email saying that the price starts at $64k "after incentives" (in California that is...not sure if folks in other states got a different email?), when, at least at the moment, it appears that the funds for the $2500 rebate have dried up?

I guess this is a more general comment, because the $2500 CA rebate still shows up on the model S order page. It's just a little different to broadcast an email suggesting the price starts at $64k while the CA rebate is uncertain.

Yes, that was annoying. Built with options that you will want it's still close to $95K.