Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D Now Available in Design Studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sincerely curious about how this software controlled range works. Has anyone checked with Tesla or has knowledge? Thanks.

1) Will the car charge up to 75 kwh, but not use the last 15 kwh?
2) Can people call ranger service if they run out of charge? With S60, would Tesla just enable the additional 15 kwh in such cases? Seems like that will be much cheaper than sending a tow truck to charge the car.
3) How will the range loss over the years and miles be affected? When the battery is 60kwh, it would be a physical change in battery that will cause range degradation. Will the range loss be simulated with software for X60, even though the 75 kwh battery will be capable of providing 200 miles of range?
Read my post above.

Base Model X delivery is late 2016. In order to get September delivery, you'll need to spend at least $5,500: $3,000 for the 6-seater config and $2,500 for the required air suspension...

That's $79.5k + tax. Cray cray!

That's true for any pack size with the 5-seat configuration. 5-seaters haven't even shipped yet or are now just starting to ship.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
So, on another topic, given that the 60kWh pack is 80% of the capacity of the 75kWh pack (60/75 = 0.80), how is it that the rated range is 200/237 = 84%? The cars must weigh the same, the acceleration specs are the same, etc? I would understand if the 60 had a lighter pack and thus had greater energy efficiency, but that is not the case here. Any thoughts?

This is an excellent point. First articles I read said Tesla changed the torque of the 60D, which for me explained how they got to 200 RM.

But now the Model X specs on Teslamotors.com list exactly the same torque and horsepower for the Model X 60D and 75D. My gut? The software actually limits the battery to 63, so Tesla could get to the magic 200 rated miles number...

I do have to say, as a Model 3 reservation holder, the $94,200 for the X 60D just feels SO much more palatable than the $104,200 for the 75D. I'm veeeeery tempted to pull the trigger, but I want my 75D (when I spend $9500 to upgrade) to have a 5.3 to 5.5 second 0-60 time. I know its dumb but I feel like it should be faster. :)

Still, it's brilliant work by Elon again!

The software actually limits the battery to 63, so Tesla could get to the magic 200 rated miles number...

Yep I'm thinking exactly this. The 60D & 75D cars are identical so the only way to reach 200 miles is if they are giving you more than 60kWh. It sounds like they aren't including the 4kWh anti-bricking buffer so you are getting 60kWh of usable energy.

Given that the 60D can be charged to 100% daily but the 75D/90D should only be charged to 90% you end up with daily ranges of:

60D 200 miles
75D 213 miles
90D 231 miles

Really does make the 60D seem like a bargain.

We know there is some reserve capacity on the battery for anti-bricking and protection. Some have speculated that it's around 4-5kw.

If the 75 is really a 71kw "useable" pack then we get

71kw / 237mi = 299.5 wh/mi

if tesla is providing a 60kw "useable" power then we can get 60kw / 299.5 = 200 miles

this is of course assuming you can drive at 300wh mi efficiency. This is pure speculation because they are using "estimated" EPA ratings,

Reactions: rowdy
I do have to say, as a Model 3 reservation holder, the $94,200 for the X 60D just feels SO much more palatable than the $104,200 for the 75D. I'm veeeeery tempted to pull the trigger, but I want my 75D (when I spend $9500 to upgrade) to have a 5.3 to 5.5 second 0-60 time. I know its dumb but I feel like it should be faster. :)

when I had a demo X loaner for few hours yesterday and there was no difference in tourqe between the 60D and 75D. And there was only a slight difference between the 75D and the 90D. The only difference is between the P90 and the 75, that was night and day.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I didn't downgrade, primarily because it would cause my delivery to be delayed further. Although since it's a software change, I don't see how downgrading affects production schedules or delivery. Also, I don't know for sure, but some of the $9,000 savings from the downgrade would likely be reduced by the loss of the free upgrade from my original 70D pricing vs. current pricing for the 75D.

Reactions: noservice2001
This was the final straw to making a Model X a reality for us. Ordered 7/18, becomes locked on Wednesday. With the ability to open up availability that we may or may not need, with no real penalty for waiting, it wasn't a difficult decision.
Congrats! I'm really glad that Tesla is finding ways to get their vehicles into the hands of more people. Helps me feel better about being "that jerk" that can afford a Tesla ;).

Congrats! I'm really glad that Tesla is finding ways to get their vehicles into the hands of more people. Helps me feel better about being "that jerk" that can afford a Tesla ;).

While I'm sure this puts me strongly in the minority, the move to the software limited, $9,000 cheaper X was 'mission to get a Tesla' critical.

Yes, my wife and I could have purchased a 75 and quite possibly a 90. Neither made much sense, knowing we'd like to add to our human family as well as our auto family and would not have a snowball's chance in hell of maintaining our savings targets with the introduction of such a large obligation.

As to you being 'that jerk': I make my living lending to people with far more financial means than my own, the vast majority of whom have built their business the hard way. Without you folks, I wouldn't have the money to buy an X.