Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently sold my 2014 Model S 60 to a buddy of mine and a full 100% charge would only go to 169 miles. When I first bought it, the previous owner told me it wasn't be used and it only charged to 145 miles so I had the service center look at it. They told me to rebalance by discharging as low as I was comfortable and recharge to 100 a few times. It slowly increased and settled at 169/170 miles regularly. I loved that car, but I sold it to buy a 2017 MX 75D :). My X get 217 to a full charge so I would say your mileage is pretty accurate for a 60, but try rebalancing.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Hello everyone,

Just bought my first Tesla Model X 60D 2016 :)
When I charge it to %100 I get only 168 miles. Is that normal? What do you others get for your MX60D?
Thanks!

Range degredation over time is normal. Looks like your model had 200 miles to start with, so that makes 32 miles lost. Its probably normal, but it has a big effect due to the slightly inadequate range that it started with.

You should check whether Tesla allows you to still upgrade to a 75D via software. The price may be reasonable. If it is not in your upgrades on the app, you should call them.

Range degredation over time is normal. Looks like your model had 200 miles to start with, so that makes 32 miles lost. Its probably normal, but it has a big effect due to the slightly inadequate range that it started with.

You should check whether Tesla allows you to still upgrade to a 75D via software. The price may be reasonable. If it is not in your upgrades on the app, you should call them.

software locked battery should not lose any range, since the lock is at the top. 100% charge is really only about 85%.
BMS calibration may be off.

There are ways to unlock the battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
software locked battery should not lose any range, since the lock is at the top. 100% charge is really only about 85%.
BMS calibration may be off.
I get the method you are thinking of, but that is not how Tesla did their capacity locked batteries. It is top locked, but done differently.

1. You are thinking of it this way: The capacity made available is by amount: 60. The locked part is 15 on top. So you are thinking that the 60 amount is guaranteed, while all of the degradation is constantly reducing the 15 amount. That would be a little too sweet of a deal, if all of the degradation was always out of the part that you could never access anyway.

2. How it's actually done is that Tesla allocates it by a ratio or proportion of the total capacity. So let's say that's 60/75, which is 80% of the total capacity. So as the battery ages and degrades and loses capacity, the software locking continues to only offer you 80% of whatever is left. So as the total gets down to 70, you get 56. As it gets to 65, you get 52, etc.

So the 60 owners do get to experience degradation, just like everyone else. But they do have that little advantage from the top locking, where it's a lower % than what the display shows, so if you're going to 90%, that's really less than 90% of the battery physically. So you can use fairly high charge limits while being a little bit easier on the battery, but all batteries still age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
2. How it's actually done is that Tesla allocates it by a ratio or proportion of the total capacity. So let's say that's 60/75, which is 80% of the total capacity. So as the battery ages and degrades and loses capacity, the software locking continues to only offer you 80% of whatever is left. So as the total gets down to 70, you get 56. As it gets to 65, you get 52, etc.

So the 60 owners do get to experience degradation, just like everyone else. But they do have that little advantage from the top locking, where it's a lower % than what the display shows, so if you're going to 90%, that's really less than 90% of the battery physically. So you can use fairly high charge limits while being a little bit easier on the battery, but all batteries still age.
i hate Tesla for this... i wish ppl would never bought those to prove the point.
why software lock the battery?? it costs them the same to make it, plus even more to implement the lock, just so that they can sell it cheaper, makes no sense...
and the owner is hauling around extra weight on top of it for the life of the car...
i'd personally never buy one

Forget "other", I don't see *any* way published other than to try to flee from a natural disaster area. So yes, also interested in the magical unlock of the unicorn car.
pretty sure u can root n unlock the capacity
but Tesla did offer 'unlock' upgrades officially at some point

i hate Tesla for this... i wish ppl would never bought those to prove the point.
why software lock the battery?? it costs them the same to make it, plus even more to implement the lock, just so that they can sell it cheaper, makes no sense...
and the owner is hauling around extra weight on top of it for the life of the car...
i'd personally never buy one

pretty sure u can root n unlock the capacity
but Tesla did offer 'unlock' upgrades officially at some point

They were trying to increase deliveries at the end of 2016 so as one of their sales levers they agreed to reduce the purchase price in exchange for limiting the charging limit, They wouldn't have given that to us for free and we wouldn't have bought a more expensive configuration which IIRC was $9k more for the 75D and $29k more for the 90D.

Update: We were able to successfully buy a battery unlock after a couple attempts trying to schedule with the 2 closest service centers to us- but in fact we didn't go to a SC at all, it came OTA today. We also looked into rooting but the cost was almost exactly the same, and it was only possible with the original MCU 1 so if we ever upgraded the MCU we'd have to start over, so that path wasn't worth it.

Our 100% range is now back up over our original 80% range which was just fine and it will let us keep our car a bit longer, so overall it is worth it to us to do now (and not earlier).