Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have mixed views about our 60D. We recently took a road trip to the mountains, where superchargers are few and far between, which greatly limited our choices of destinations. The extra 40 mile range of the 75D would have opened up many new destinations. On the other hand, for daily commuting and road trips along urban routes,the 60D has been perfect for us.

If I could do it over again, I would pick the 75D and eliminate the high fidelity sound, sub zero package, red paint, and white seats. What good are those amenities if you have to rent a minivan just to make a trip to the mountains?

I think this is a real issue. especially with now how expensive eap is. if you do full autonomy, you are paying 8000 dollars. you can almost go up to 20,000-30,000 dollars worth of options to add to a 60D. I think it's a little much. I did the calculated risk that I wouldn't drive that much 200+ miles to really needed that added range.

I'm happy as we don't drive much commuting, and live in a highly-populated metro area, in the eastern corridor of superchargers, but I did have my first weekend trip in the countryside where temps were in the single digits, and definitely wished I had a 75D. I imagine in normal weather it will be better.

That 10K will be a hard pill to swallow, but I'll probably end of doing the upgrade sooner-or-later if I can convince the wife. And if doing it at all, better to do it sooner before we have too many road trips under our belt. After they price cut of the Model S upgrade, I was hoping the same for the X, but now I'm not sure if Tesla has any plans to lower the price. Do you guys think there is any chance of it going down?

I'm happy as we don't drive much commuting, and live in a highly-populated metro area, in the eastern corridor of superchargers, but I did have my first weekend trip in the countryside where temps were in the single digits, and definitely wished I had a 75D. I imagine in normal weather it will be better.

That 10K will be a hard pill to swallow, but I'll probably end of doing the upgrade sooner-or-later if I can convince the wife. And if doing it at all, better to do it sooner before we have too many road trips under our belt. After they price cut of the Model S upgrade, I was hoping the same for the X, but now I'm not sure if Tesla has any plans to lower the price. Do you guys think there is any chance of it going down?

I doubt it. They have only increased prices.

My previous car was Nissan Leaf with 84 mile range, so it was already a big upgrade for me to have 200 miles in 60D and definitely enough for daily commute.

For road trips, it was a bit of a hassle. From Las Vegas to Grand Canyon West Rim, needed to go out of the way to Kingman to do supercharging both to and back. Added an hour more each way for detour and charging.

Also needed to stop at supercharger from Los Angeles to Vegas, but it was on the route and good restroom break so not too bad. It's really just the places that you have to take large detour that make supercharger really cumbersome, but not really worth the $9000 more (so far)

Has anybody upgraded to 75? Just sounds like a lot of money to me for an extra 60km (40 miles?).
Well, you could say that about any range upgrade. Personally if I'm going to own the car for a length of time, psychologically I'm going to want to maximize it and unlock its full potential. For us I imagine it could make certain family trips less stressful, especially to off-the-beaten-path rural areas and in the winter. It's not a huge difference but when it matters..

Does anyone have their maximum charged range at 196 miles or lower? Mine used to be 201 miles, then 198, and now 196 at just 5000 miles on my MX60D. It does not fluctuate up and down but only keeps going down. I thought that it supposed to stay at 201 since any battery degradation would be in the hidden 15 Kwh.

holy smokes: how did you get up to 100 mph? i havent tried that on any car. cant imagine where i could do that.

also to all fellow mx60 owners, do you guys like the acceleration? how many of you are charging 100%?

Locally, my commute includes a 100 mph section of the highway. I don't go that fast but the flow of traffic is around 85-90 and many people drive by like I am standing still.

I remember driving from Vegas to LA in 1997 going 110-115 mph with a cop car next to me going with the flow of traffic for many miles. Then a Lexus SC400 blew by at MUCH higher speed and the cop chased him. The cop was in a marked Camaro.

Driving south on I-95 the flow of traffic often hovers around 100 mph once you get past "jail me" Virginia...

Locally, my commute includes a 100 mph section of the highway. I don't go that fast but the flow of traffic is around 85-90 and many people drive by like I am standing still.

I remember driving from Vegas to LA in 1997 going 110-115 mph with a cop car next to me going with the flow of traffic for many miles. Then a Lexus SC400 blew by at MUCH higher speed and the cop chased him. The cop was in a marked Camaro.

Driving south on I-95 the flow of traffic often hovers around 100 mph once you get past "jail me" Virginia...

You going from Philly to Harrisburg? You can imagine that many government workers using gas cards supplied to them may be ignoring basic economic and emissions values while cutting their drive time short. I bet highway speeds around capital cities tends to be higher due to this type of activity. NJ governor Corzine was involved in an accident when his driver (trooper) was up in the 90+ mph range in one area of S. NJ. It also shows how speeding and eventual accidents can change a person and his family's life. Is entitlement really worth it? Problems plague state trooper who drove Corzine Ok, ok, and I know you guys will say that all they needed was highway speed Autopilot to avoid the incident...

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I will give my two cents now! Hope it helps out!

We live in Maine and our daily commute covers about 50-80 max. Some day we go well over 150 but the SC help out with that extra Load.

Very Important to Highlight:

*We lose about 25% range during winter.
*Anytime temperature drop 20 or below the X makes rattle noises that the services center still can figure out!
*We charge everyday at 100%
*Best winter driving (drop the MIC)
*No plans on battery upgrade from 60 to 75

Trip we have taken.

Maine to Ohio ( no problem with range at all, 16 to 20 minutes short charge allow me to bounce from SC to SC
Maine to Burlington VT (Taking the back road we arrive at SC with 0 miles)
Maine to Orlando FL (April 20 2017, can't wait for this trip! really going to test the X 60 D range)

Conclusion:

Over all it's the best car we have own with a family of 3. I will hold out to upgrade the battery for as long as possible because there is a chance that we ca go from 60 to 90 or even a 100 someday. If I'm spending 10k I rather spend it on a bigger and better battery upgrade then my current one.
Range wise, we have never had issue with the 200 range knowing that we get close to 180 in perfect condition. Having a 3 year old, getting her out of the car, and back in the car has never been easier.

we're taking the kid to disneyland from norcal next month and I'm not at all worried about range except for the final stretch. I'm hoping santa nella opens by then so I can just charge at santa nella and buttonwillow. final stretch is buttonwillow to anaheim (150 miles), really would like to skip burbank given all the negative feedback about that charger, but then again, there is grapevine in between. maybe i'll have to stop by newly opened buena park but would like to avoid that and just go straight to the hotel (which has destination charging!).
You should stop at Burbank if not busy but if it is busy just go to Buena Park. It will eliminate range anxiety. You can also take the 405 down and stop at Culver City SC or the redondo beach SC.

You should stop at Burbank if not busy but if it is busy just go to Buena Park. It will eliminate range anxiety. You can also take the 405 down and stop at Culver City SC or the redondo beach SC.

haha that post was from months ago - we did the trip in my x60 no problemo. From east bay to anaheim we only stopped at gustine and buttonwillow. the hotel had destination charging so i didn't have to stop at buena park. on the way back i did the same thing but had to pit stop at harris ranch due to a strong headwind. my next trip will be to eureka but i'm convinced that i can get anywhere in the state with the existing SC layouts.

.............snip...............
Conclusion:

Over all it's the best car we have own with a family of 3. I will hold out to upgrade the battery for as long as possible because there is a chance that we ca go from 60 to 90 or even a 100 someday. If I'm spending 10k I rather spend it on a bigger and better battery upgrade then my current one. ...........snip............
couple thoughts ~
seems the last time I checked . . . . haven't they dropped the price to around $7k ?
also, the hackers who've delved into the system have shown conclusively that the 60kWh actually provides 62kWh of usable energy, while the upgrade / std 75kWh pack is only 72kWh. The price therefore covers a 10kWh upgrade.