Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D Upgrade - Is it worth the (reduced) $4,500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received a call from Tesla Sales yesterday evening asking if I would be interested in upgrading my 60D to the 75 OTA upgrade - now at a reduced price of $4,500, down from the previous $6,500.

We've not had much problem with our commute, about 90 miles round trip, but we also have to charge every day to be on the safe side.

Getting ready to take a July trip from Sacramento area to Florida, and not feeling overly comfortable with the trip in the 60D with the spacing of SuperChargers.

What do you think? Is it worth the cost to upgrade? Did you upgrade?

Thanks for the feedback!

I have the same question i need to answer for myself. Just bought a MS 60D. Upgrade is now onlyh $2K. Seems like a no brainer, but then i think, why would i upgrade if i don't need to. I haven't taken delivery of the vehicle yet. If i feel I need the extra range at some point, i will upgrade then, but not until i'm sure i need it. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have the extra range, but are you sure you need it for that trip? You could always upgrade along the way if you do start cutting things closer than you would like.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
I have the same question i need to answer for myself. Just bought a MS 60D. Upgrade is now onlyh $2K. Seems like a no brainer, but then i think, why would i upgrade if i don't need to. I haven't taken delivery of the vehicle yet. If i feel I need the extra range at some point, i will upgrade then, but not until i'm sure i need it. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have the extra range, but are you sure you need it for that trip? You could always upgrade along the way if you do start cutting things closer than you would like.

Good point - could upgrade along the way. My challenge will be actually traveling at a lower (less then my typical 70+ mph) to conserve the battery along the trip. I'm used to passing, not being passed... :eek:(

If they dropped it to $2,000 for the Model X, I'm sure I would do it, only to keep from having to charge the car every day for our daily 90 mile round trip (which is really only about 70 miles round trip, but we do it at 70 mph, so it takes 90 miles off the battery... leaving me with just 90 miles total remaining, so I couldn't (safely) make another round trip.

Some have suggested that we can charge the Model X 60D to 100% for each charge, since it is only software limited, so it technically only charges the battery to 90% of actual capacity anyway, but there's been some debate on whether that will or will not actually hurt the battery longevity... wish I knew. Even Tesla gave me two different answers... Thx.

"Some have suggested that we can charge the Model X 60D to 100% for each charge, since it is only software limited, so it technically only charges the battery to 90% of actual capacity anyway, but there's been some debate on whether that will or will not actually hurt the battery longevity... wish I knew. Even Tesla gave me two different answers... Thx."\

this is also part of the reason i figured i'd wait for now. why upgrade the battery if i can't charge it to that on a daily basis anyway. i think the full charge on the 60 is about 86% of the battery capacity which is ideal.

One issue we will face is that the top 20% of the 75 pack will take forever to charge. As @TexasEV kindly educated me, if you are at a supercharger you'd better only charge to 80% and get going instead of hogging the charger for an hour for that last 20%.

I understand if you do need that extra juice for a single non-stop route then it makes sense. If you are going to connect your route with SpC, not so much.

One issue we will face is that the top 20% of the 75 pack will take forever to charge. As @TexasEV kindly educated me, if you are at a supercharger you'd better only charge to 80% and get going instead of hogging the charger for an hour for that last 20%.

I understand if you do need that extra juice for a single non-stop route then it makes sense. If you are going to connect your route with SpC, not so much.
As was mentioned above, on the 60 when you charge to 100%, you're actually only charging to 86% of the battery capacity. Does anyone have any practical experience on what happens at the top end of the charge with supercharging the X60? Does the SC charge per the limited capacity, or the actual battery capacity? In other words, do things slow down at 80% on the 60's screen, or into the 90's%, which would be around 80% of the real capacity of the full 75 battery?

Received a call from Tesla Sales yesterday evening asking if I would be interested in upgrading my 60D to the 75 OTA upgrade - now at a reduced price of $4,500, down from the previous $6,500.

We've not had much problem with our commute, about 90 miles round trip, but we also have to charge every day to be on the safe side.

Getting ready to take a July trip from Sacramento area to Florida, and not feeling overly comfortable with the trip in the 60D with the spacing of SuperChargers.

What do you think? Is it worth the cost to upgrade? Did you upgrade?

Thanks for the feedback!
As they say in the south, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I don't see why the same increase in battery capacity should cost more than twice as much for the X as for the S. You could even argue that you will get more range increase with the Model S, so the upgrade should cost more for the Model S

As was mentioned above, on the 60 when you charge to 100%, you're actually only charging to 86% of the battery capacity. Does anyone have any practical experience on what happens at the top end of the charge with supercharging the X60? Does the SC charge per the limited capacity, or the actual battery capacity? In other words, do things slow down at 80% on the 60's screen, or into the 90's%, which would be around 80% of the real capacity of the full 75 battery?
I charged from 60% to 100% twice in my recent trip. There was no slow down at all toward the end.

For $2k, we upgraded our MS60D with very little hesitation. That gave us about 40 miles of extra range (19% extra)

For $4500, a MX75D would get an extra 35 miles (17% extra) doesn't seem as good of a deal.

At the end of the day though, I think there's a couple good questions to ask since everyone is different. If Tesla went the other way and raised the price back to $9000, would you be upset you didn't upgrade while it was cheaper? Or would you take an attitude of eh, oh well. If it's the former, then it's probably worth it to upgrade.

Reactions: vandacca
No difference between 60D and 75D to get groceries but makes a real difference when you must charge like a recent trip to Vegas.

75D allows you to skip the Primm super charger where you can't with 60D.

75D also allows me to drive 80mph against winds in the I15 where with the 60D I had to use a semi to break the wind in front of me and limp at 65 to not get stranded.

200 miles is not the real range for power drivers.

For 9000 it was a steal to get the 60D. 4500 makes 75D workable. Wish it was 2000. It's a gamble to see if, when and how much it will reduce from 4500.

I upgraded half way through the trip. Drive home was more pleasant for sure.

As they say in the south, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I don't see why the same increase in battery capacity should cost more than twice as much for the X as for the S. You could even argue that you will get more range increase with the Model S, so the upgrade should cost more for the Model S

The main reason is the 60D Model X was eliminated a while ago. The Model S 60->75 upgrade is only $2k because the base 75 Model S had a significant price decrease. There was no such price decrease on the base Model X since the 75D was already the base.

Reactions: Jack007

Cost = what people will pay for it. Tesla's already provided the hardware. I wish I had a 60D X. That car was a steal while it was around for that short while. I was ready to put down a deposit 2 days after it was discontinued. My OA said nothing could be done and didn't give me a head's up. At least Tesla was very proactive (if not shady) about the 60D Model S being discontinued. Unlike with the 60DX discontinuation, the 75D S was concomitantly dropped in price. The 60D X axing left X buyers to come up with $15k extra which was not happening for my family on such short notice.

In the end I'm happy with my (now) 75D Model S. I hope that the remaining 60D Xers appreciate what a great deal they go when they got it and how the discounted upgrade is still quite a deal as compared to buying a 75D outright.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
I was all set to wait for it to potentially fall to the $2.5K range, but opted to do it. This weekend saw me doing a lot of driving up and down from NYC > NH, and while there are lots of superchargers on the way a combination of heavy traffic and heavy rain in cool conditions saw my usual right-at-rated-range average jump closer to 400 Wh/mi. Halfway through the trip I upgraded and was glad of it, the extra bump to 75Kw gave the safety cushion I needed to not have to crawl during the non-traffic highway portions.

Reactions: croman and MXWing
Cost = what people will pay for it. Tesla's already provided the hardware. I wish I had a 60D X. That car was a steal while it was around for that short while. I was ready to put down a deposit 2 days after it was discontinued. My OA said nothing could be done and didn't give me a head's up. At least Tesla was very proactive (if not shady) about the 60D Model S being discontinued. Unlike with the 60DX discontinuation, the 75D S was concomitantly dropped in price. The 60D X axing left X buyers to come up with $15k extra which was not happening for my family on such short notice.

In the end I'm happy with my (now) 75D Model S. I hope that the remaining 60D Xers appreciate what a great deal they go when they got it and how the discounted upgrade is still quite a deal as compared to buying a 75D outright.

Was it really 15k extra between a 60D and 75D? I thought it was 9K?

We can't complain about $4.5k to get the difference but $2K would have been better. :)

I was all set to wait for it to potentially fall to the $2.5K range, but opted to do it. This weekend saw me doing a lot of driving up and down from NYC > NH, and while there are lots of superchargers on the way a combination of heavy traffic and heavy rain in cool conditions saw my usual right-at-rated-range average jump closer to 400 Wh/mi. Halfway through the trip I upgraded and was glad of it, the extra bump to 75Kw gave the safety cushion I needed to not have to crawl during the non-traffic highway portions.

Yeah... when the navi tells me I need to slow down to make it to my destination I was NOT having any of that.

I really appreciate my 60 after reading your post. Thanks.

On my 60D X, I supercharge to 100% all the time when taking road trips. When there's no car next to you sharing your SC station, it typically charges at 90-95kW/hr up until the last 15-20min remaining, and then slows down to anywhere from 25-45kW/hr from my experience. Meaning a full charge from close to 0% to 100% could take 50-60min best case if there's no other vehicle next to you sharing your SC. But since I normally have 25-50mi left when I hit the SC, it'll normally take around 40min all in to get to 100%.