Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 7 First Imoressions 7 days after delivery. From Volvo XC60/BMW 335is

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the car. Here are some first impressions.
PROS:
ROOMY! We have the 5 seat version. Lots of room. For people and cargo. Just moved Son to University ~180 mile round trip. Full car with stuff and people.
VISABILITY.
For entering traffic view out front/side windows, and even aft is better than my Volvo XC60.
NAV.
Big screen and small dash map very nice. Can ask it to find things like "Petco" and it works.
Better than BMW, Volvo NAV was easily confused.
HEADLIGHTS.
Had premium headlights in my BMW, std in the Volvo. Tesla forward illumination is near perfect. I'm an old man now (55) and this is a big deal. This was a pleseant surprise.
RANGE.
Have the 100D. You need to do a LOT of driving to even need a supercharger. Popped into the Woodburn charger just to test the waters. 30 miles in 30 min (@Max charge so slow to top off 30 miles) still 1/2 the time of 220V 40A.

CONS
Road Noise.
I'm thinking of trying to measure this. I suspect the door seals on the falcon wings could be enhanced. It seems like outdoor noise is getting in. I also have LLOYD rubber floor mats which will brighten the sound a bit. This will be an area where work could be done. Or I could wire my Tesla like an airplane and issue aviation headsets to all the passengers. And install an intercom. I'm thinking some adjustments to the door apertures could be made to trap sound before it enters the cabin. I'm thinking this is a better first area to attack than adding heavy sound deadening materials. But it's bad enough I'm thinking about measuring it with equipment. I want to compare with my neighbors Model X to see if mine is inusually noisy, or as I suspect work could be done to help in this area for all Model X's. I don't buy that the absence of an engine makes this more noticible. Get a Decibel meter app for an iPhone, test drive a Volvo XC60 (6 cylinder) at 75 mph, then do the same in a model X. I think the results will bear me out. But I plan to measure this to see what's up. The car would be way awesome if I could cut 10dB of noise out of the cabin. This adds to driving fatigue.
SEATS
Not quite as comfortable as Volvo seats, but pretty good. Wifey is missing the Volvo XC60 a bit at this point in our journey.
But headlights and roominess are big wins to her.

Minor glitches.
Had NAV stall on voice directions stuttering same syllable for 45 seconds..had to reboot 17" screen to quiet it/recover.

First week of ownership summary:
"Hi, my name is Ross, I'm a Tesla Owner. It's been seven days since I've bought gasoline."

Thanks for the detailed write-up, will look forward to comparing to my X! I've heard some of the noise issues before, and wonder if the door seals can be adjusted. I've seen some describe SC adjusting them. Also, you might try rolling up the back cargo mat and see if the carpet absorbs some of the noise. As you say, the plastic may reflect/resonate some of the noise in the back.

We had a six seater for an overnight test drive in the spring and don't recall it being noisy at all compared to my BMW 328. One other data point is I don't recall if you have the larger wheels, which are noisier, of course!

You can test road noise easily. Drive into a car-wash and if you do not need to raise your voice or turn up volume of car, you have good sound insulation. Ofcourse even better, compare this between cars. This way you get rid of the irrelevant "engine noise" component and what remains is actual noise dampening/deadening of the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Thanks for the detailed write-up, will look forward to comparing to my X! I've heard some of the noise issues before, and wonder if the door seals can be adjusted. I've seen some describe SC adjusting them. Also, you might try rolling up the back cargo mat and see if the carpet absorbs some of the noise. As you say, the plastic may reflect/resonate some of the noise in the back.

We had a six seater for an overnight test drive in the spring and don't recall it being noisy at all compared to my BMW 328. One other data point is I don't recall if you have the larger wheels, which are noisier, of course!
I think I can get a decibel meter app for my iPhone/iPad and take some measurements. That was as I make changes/have service center look into it, I can tell objectively if anything improves.

Lots of X's have imperfect alignment of seals from the factory. Ours (June 2017 build) needed adjustment to the driver door seals and since then it's been very quiet.
Just got our model X 100D delivered a few days ago and noticed the road noise was loud as well. Was it difficult to go into the SC and ask them to fix this? Want to make sure I'm not sidelining the car for a super long time just to align seals. Thanks!

My X P90D has 20K miles now it's 18 months - 3 days old. I hear the road noise, too. Everything else has been near perfect. I'm going to ping my factory service advisor to get those door seals adjusted. Thanks, ninefiveone!!

PS. Mine being so early F00041X has many poorly aligned panels, etc. It took them about 2 months to build it during the "production hell" for the X and rush it out the door before the end of Q1 2016. :rolleyes:

I never cared since I leased it for business... Let TSLA deal with it if they want when they get it back for resale in another 18 months. Meanwhile, I'm driving the h*ll out of it and enjoying every launch and kWh.

Reactions: Rossy
Minor glitches.
Had NAV stall on voice directions stuttering same syllable for 45 seconds..had to reboot 17" screen to quiet it/recover.

Ha! I had this exact same problem happen this weekend on my week-old Model X. I used the same fix, hasn't repeated. Don't forget to file a Bug Report, the SC told me this is how they can more easily comb through the logs to diagnose the issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy