TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X 70D ?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by vortexz, Nov 2, 2015.

1. vortexz

vortexz Member

When do you think Tesla will start sales for the cheaper versions of the Model X ?
    And how much would a X 70D cost compared to a S 70D ?

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

A year or so. ~$5k more with similar equipment.

3. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

#3 MrBoylan, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    But it will likely be a 75D or an 80D. Elon's tweet said

"something like a 70, but probably around 12 months from now"

A.) I think they were concerned about the range of a 70D model X and B.) huge pent-up demand for the 90D will keep them busy for a while at (one would assume) a higher margin.

If it goes anything like the Model S 70D, they'll come out with a 75D (or 80D) Model X and get a new surge in orders/configurations for people who were on the fence because of price.

-CB

4. invisik

invisik Member

The Q3 earnings report says :

"even as we launch a lower priced version of Model X with a smaller battery pack during 2016."

http://ir.teslamotors.com
    The November 3, 2015 call, download the Report, page 4

5. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

Oh, good, it's confirmed then: it will come out at 11:59pm on December 31, 2016.

6. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Or maybe closer to September 254th :) I think there'll be pricing pressure to come out with it a bit earlier, but I've been wrong before.

7. Tgibson

Tgibson Member

Here is my non-scientific prediction of why we will see lower priced units around mid-summer. Model S deliveries seem to be averaging about 1/3 for the 70 and 2/3 for 85/90. Estimating 25,000 current reservation holder haven't or won't cancel, 17,000 deliveries have to occur before they start with a lower cost version. Add another 5,000 higher end reservations over the next several months and call it 22,000 Xs delivered before the lower end version is available. At a rate of 800/week starting January 1 (may be a bit aggressive on timing), call it mid-summer before we see a lower priced unit.