Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 72a charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi

I have a model x 2017 but the specs state it has a gen3 72a charger

text from spec as below

Chargers : Gen3 Charger (72A) (CH04)

I can only charge at work at 3x16a but in my model 3 it managed it at I assume 24a

the 3x16a charge rate is approx 30mph and previously on the model 3 it was 45mph

raised this at SC in a previous visit and they want to charge £960 to upgrade , but am I wrong in saying the specs already suggest I have the 72a charger ?

if so what is the £960 charge for , software or hardware ?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
I can only charge at work at 3x16a but in my model 3 it managed it at I assume 24a
the 3x16a charge rate is approx 30mph and previously on the model 3 it was 45mph

The Model 3 does not consume energy as fast as the Model X. Therefore the charging rate in miles is higher, although the energy is roughly the same. (BTW, this is another good reason to change the Energy display to percentage as opposed to distance, it makes so much more sense).

Sorry i didnt mean energy consumption, i meant number of miles added per hour, it is 2/3 of what the model 3 was.

My car is charging like it has the 48a charger (3 x 16a) whereas the spec suggests it has the 72a so i should be able to get 3 x 24a charge rate

hi

I have a model x 2017 but the specs state it has a gen3 72a charger

text from spec as below

Chargers : Gen3 Charger (72A) (CH04)

raised this at SC in a previous visit and they want to charge £960 to upgrade , but am I wrong in saying the specs already suggest I have the 72a charger ?

if so what is the £960 charge for , software or hardware ?

thanks in advance
Rare is the charger that is setup for 72A continuous.

What kind of charger do you have at work?

Reactions: scottf200
Rare is the charger that is setup for 72A continuous.

What kind of charger do you have at work
Hi

Trying to fathom the various charge rates based on amps really, work i believe is a 22kw EO charge point.

On my Model 3 I used to get the below form various chargers.

Home - on basic 13 amp charger - 9 miles per hour added
Pod Point (7kw) - 25/26 miles per hour added
Work - 22kw - 45/46 miles per hour added

now on the MX i get the below for comparison

Home - on basic 13 amp charger - 6 miles per hour added
Pod Point (7kw) - 18 miles per hour added
Work - 22kw - 30 miles per hour added

(i also checked and i cannot raise the amps on charge screen)

SC said that the issue can be resolved by doing what they call 48amp upgrade - costs £960!
This i would assume brings it upto 72a?

But my car specs say already gen3 72a charger, i am just trying to understand what they do for £960, if my car already has the 72a charger is it just software to make the car charge at the higher rate.....if so thats crazy money!

to quickly add, i had a MX as a loan car , it was a 67 plate and mine is a 17 plate, the 67 plate charged at work with the same cable at the higher rate of 45miles added per hour

Sorry i didnt mean energy consumption, i meant number of miles added per hour, it is 2/3 of what the model 3 was.
My car is charging like it has the 48a charger (3 x 16a) whereas the spec suggests it has the 72a so i should be able to get 3 x 24a charge rate
it will only charge at 72 amps if the connected circuit is provisioned to supply 72 amps, requiring a 100 or 90 amp circuit. This requires a Gen2 Tesla Wall Connector, properly programmed. The current model Gen3 wall connector will not go that high. But the bottom line is, 48 amps is good enough.

On my Model 3 I used to get the below form various chargers.

Home - on basic 13 amp charger - 9 miles per hour added
Pod Point (7kw) - 25/26 miles per hour added
Work - 22kw - 45/46 miles per hour added

now on the MX i get the below for comparison

Home - on basic 13 amp charger - 6 miles per hour added
Pod Point (7kw) - 18 miles per hour added
Work - 22kw - 30 miles per hour added
to quickly add, i had a MX as a loan car , it was a 67 plate and mine is a 17 plate, the 67 plate charged at work with the same cable at the higher rate of 45miles added per hour
a) I don't think you can use 'miles per hour added' to compare two different models (3 vs X) because their Wh/mi consumption is different. You can only compare amps or kW.

b) Re: MX as a loaner got 45 miles per hour --- this would imply that you X may have the hardware physically installed but it does not have the paid for software to enable it. Another example ... Model 3 had seat heaters physically installed but on some levels they had to pay for that feature and have it software enabled.

Graphic from a few years back:
iscuikp.jpg

Other notes I had ----
Power Available Time Required Approx. Rate (mi)
Approx. Rate (km)
110V 12A > 60 hours < 4 miles per hour < 7 kilometers per hour
220V 12A 27-37 hours 8 miles per hour 13 kilometers per hour
220V 24A 13-19 hours 17 miles per hour 26 kilometers per hour
220V 30A 11-15 hours 21 miles per hour 33 kilometers per hour
220V 40A 8-11 hours 28 miles per hour 44 kilometers per hour
220V 60A 5-7 hours 42 miles per hour 67 kilometers per hour
220V 80A 4-6 hours 56 miles per hour 89 kilometers per hour

See the tables at these either of these links:

Last edited: