Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 75D (237 EPA) or software locked 100D (270 EPA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had gone for the 2019 Model X 75D option in January with 237 miles EPA rating still waiting on the delivery. Daily commute around 25-30 miles and weekend travel ~50-100 miles & couple of long road trips per year. Got a call from the sales guy asking if I wanted to switch to the new software locked model for 6k more. Any advice on this one from existing Tesla owners? I believe the extra 33 miles range will only be useful on road trips. How about battery degradation with the 75D over the years?

So are you getting the software locked 100kwh battery and they’re offering the unlock or for you to do a completely new order? If it’s the former, don’t upgrade, you can charge to 100% every day without hurting the battery since that compete charge is not full.

I am contemplating between my already existing 75D option and a change to the software locked battery option. They said the software locked cannot be removed in the future in case anyone wanted the 295 EPA. Anyways, I guess you charge your battery to only 90% which is around 266 miles on the 2018 100D.

100D standard range (software locked) all day every day. 100D charges so much faster for long range driving which makes it so much more convenient. 75D is a bit of a pain where you have to charge longer and more frequently. In addition, you will have little to no battery degradation for years to come.
I have both 75D and 100D. I sprang for a 100D because I coildn't handle my 75D anymore. It's my wife's now for short jaunts.

Daily range diff would be more like 206 (75d charged to 90%) vs 260 (locked 100d charged to 97/98% ish or so). Up to you whether u feel the 6k is worth it.

Same degradation as the locked 100d charged to 97/98% is like 90% of full battery capacity.

a base x75 with enhanced auto as only option was 78200 after tax credit (7500) max range 240
a base x now with enhanced auto option is after tax credit (3750) 89250 but you get premium interior which was option before (5k option i think) max range 270
11050 difference but you get 30 more miles and premium interior

I had gone for the 2019 Model X 75D option in January with 237 miles EPA rating still waiting on the delivery. Daily commute around 25-30 miles and weekend travel ~50-100 miles & couple of long road trips per year. Got a call from the sales guy asking if I wanted to switch to the new software locked model for 6k more. Any advice on this one from existing Tesla owners? I believe the extra 33 miles range will only be useful on road trips. How about battery degradation with the 75D over the years?

For $6k more go for it as its a 'bargain' way to get a 100kWh battery. The list price difference between a 75D and software locked 100D as someone has mentioned is over $10k!!

Our 75D X has done 19K, I estimate degradation to be 1kWh, so under just over 1%. I normally charge to 80% and can count on one hand the number of times I let the SOC drop to below 10%. Also only SC once a month.

Reactions: 1375mlm
I would probably pay for the software locked 100D. Having more battery than you need can be a nice luxury to have sometimes.

Resale value should be higher as well. If $6k higher, you (sort of) get a free upgrade. :)

GSP

Reactions: 1375mlm

It has been one year since we took delivery of our Dec 2017 X75D. 100% used to be around 236 on our first few 100% charge. Normally we charge to 90%. Now 100% is at 226. Daily 90% is at 202/203.

For 6K more, I would switch, but our weekend drive is usually at least 150 miles round trip. It is 60 miles to get to my family. Then we would drive to do a hike or restaurant or beach... and another 60 miles to get home. So by the time we got home, we have about 50 miles left. It is not bad... but another 30 would help with range anxiety.

And for trips, the extra 30 miles help even more. Not only does it help in range anxiety to get to the next SC... but the bigger the battery, the faster to charge to recover the same driving distance.

a base x75 with enhanced auto as only option was 78200 after tax credit (7500) max range 240
a base x now with enhanced auto option is after tax credit (3750) 89250 but you get premium interior which was option before (5k option i think) max range 270
11050 difference but you get 30 more miles and premium interior

As of Jan 2019, the base 75D was 82k before (3750 tax credit ) and now the base software locked 100D is 88k. So the difference is more like 6k. Options and trim are going to be the same on both the cars.

The Tesla website doesn't make any statement that the standard range pack can be unlocked in the future (EAP shows a price for purchase at or after delivery). If Tesla offered the ability to unlock the battery pack, they probably wouldn't sell any of the extended range models...

In practice, you'll normally charge to 90% of actual pack capacity, and charge above 90% only if you're planning to start a long drive, and you need the extra charge to reach your destination or first charging stop. With increasing coverage of the supercharger network, this is needed less and less.

With the standard battery pack, you'll likely be able to charge to 100% of the standard pack capacity, because you'll still have the extra 8-10% of pack that you aren't able to use. So unless you plan to make many long drives during a year, you probably won't miss the extra capacity of the unlocked pack.

And even though we purchased an S 100D and X 100D in the last 2 years, it might be tempting to save some $$$ and go with the standard pack the next time.