Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 75D range and boot space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there
I am thinking to order a Model X 75D (5 seater) instead than a Model S.

I do less than 5K a year so range should not be an issue as I mainly drive in London. However I wanted to ask what is the real life range you are getting from a Model X by driving in town and on a road trip.

I am planning to drive to Italy next year so the latter would be useful to know

Also, just returned from camping and could not have done without a roof box on top of my Audi A4 avant. One of the attraction of the Model X 5 seater for me is the trunk space. However I also know that I won't be able to attach a roof box. Was curious to hear from anyone who has moved to Model X and their experience with packing. We are a family of four.

Thanks

I've just had a 5 seat X for the weekend.

Hard to judge range in such a short space of time, especially given that I was taking folk for demo rides and showing off the performance of the car!

On the storage though: the boot is CARVENOUS. With the boards in you have a lot of space, then there's more space below the floor, almost 50% more space than what's actually visible. Space in the frunk, and space under the back seats as well. It's gargantuan!

Have you thought about asking Tesla for a weekend Drive of a 5 seater so you can have a proper play with it?

If you need one:
My Tesla Referral Code

Don't know about an X, but the Practical Range of my P90D is 200 miles. There's an extra 20 miles on top of that to "empty" but for a journey I want a recharge within 200 miles, if starting 100% full, to allow for some contingency.

I charge to 100% if I have to do more than 160 miles - so in effect I have 220 miles range at that point. But I have had detours, foul weather, etc. eat into my reserve. Indeed on one occasion the 160 mile trip was made with only 2 miles to spare .... left late and went in a bit of a hurry on the way there :rolleyes:, arrived spot on 50% and relaxed as journey home would be "casually driven". Torrential rain did the rest on the return journey :(

I have found that the planning websites do a god job of predicting range / energy use (on the day, given "cargo weight", temperature and speed-factor), so you might like to look at those. You can always slow down if the dash shows you are below the energy-graph line for the trip, and in practice, in UK, I find that there is always a 50MPH stretch on a long journey for traffic / roadworks, and any energy-deficit sorts itself out then ;).

EV Trip Planner
A Better Routeplanner

Do you use one more than another?

I favour EV Trip Planner, mainly because I've been using that since before ABRP existed ... but each has some functions not available in the other. EVTP has had close to zero DEV of late, whereas ABRP has had a lot of development, and indeed now its hard to fault it.

My primary annoyance with ABRP is that there is no drag-and-drop for moving things around,and the up/down arrows are painful to use - as an item moves up one you have to press the arrow next to its new position. Add a Waypoint and it goes in the penultimate position, so has to be moved unless you can think of your journey as "Destination then first waypoint, second waypoint ..." ... my brain doesn't work like that! its either First waypoint, Second waypoint, Destination (have to move all of the added ones) or Destination then "How about X" "How about Y" in no particular order.

They are both free, so suggest trying them to see which you prefer.