Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 75D Real World Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to hear experiences with real-world range with the 75Ds coming out in past month. Charging to 80%, 90% and 100% gets you theoretically 190mi, 212mi, and 237mi, resp. What is it in reality?

I am closer to 400 miles on my 75D, but can't break the 330 point no matter how hard I try. My average is 335 so far. What conditions are you driving in? (Outside Temp etc.?)
I live in the city so a lot of my driving has been on surface streets where the speed limit ranges from 25 to 40. Maybe 150 miles or so has been highway driving where I rarely go more than 5 MPH over the speed limit. The majority of the days here since I got the car have been moderate temps ranging from 65 to 80 degrees but we have had a few hot days in the mid to upper 80's. When I do have the climate control on I rarely set the temp below 73°.

I live in the city so a lot of my driving has been on surface streets where the speed limit ranges from 25 to 40. Maybe 150 miles or so has been highway driving where I rarely go more than 5 MPH over the speed limit. The majority of the days here since I got the car have been moderate temps ranging from 65 to 80 degrees but we have had a few hot days in the mid to upper 80's. When I do have the climate control on I rarely set the temp below 73°.

Thank you for the response! Makes complete sense.. It's been around 110 every day since we took delivery, and a/c does make a difference.

Trip B is lifetime, Trip A is this month...
(For the "since last charge" and the "current trip" there is a 995 foot elevation gain, so ignore those)

Yeah, I'm getting 310 lifetime and 298 for July so far in Wh/mi on my X 75D.
It is summer in the bay area, which makes a big difference.
Also most driving is 35m/h to and from work, mostly hilly.

Before the X, when I used the S P85 as my daily drive... my lifetime was 290 with a mix of summer and winter, commuting and roadtrips, but my summer return trip commute was often 240Wh/m and once 225Wh/m ... For summer would average about 270-280Wh/m.
The Sig X I briefly owned during Spring I averaged 355Wh/m, but that was mostly road trips.

So ultimately I think I get 30Wh/m (10%) better in my S P85 than my X 75D.

The one time I tried charging the X to 100% it got to 235 miles, and kept charging without the miles updating. I then drove 5 miles before the rated miles remaining dropped by a mile. I think this means the pack (being new) had never rebalanced and so I still don't know the max range yet.

5HK6aszMSvUOWrwcbBzeEzswiXkIUXnkVS_5Qzf3ummoIvEDMybYxuWN_Y4BV7S4I2P9BPq1V4dast2cF8n7JSynWlBcusfPWE4YT703wa65b1FsNalbiOEogWNz5gW0BHGf5LmSihEKnWARBwGQv_cDbIBrwYtsVeaTaNUHJ5MJ0YUcRNOR-z2KLe_VhX0dh2w5-uOVQB1gfUve4bHBh_3vSCH6Eoh44zOqCtmguJNHrcNaEyMivNgyuIcg1fVZg7UgDkCCIB14xHUajqpwV2KDcKjypIqcYCBaH9ifI-5QvVqcNj7fpTlD4TUA1mZyKSJ8WbE9cOjimlgGHmKX9VUcs92Z06-iuWfnDoO9f0zJvZZf0Ky0B3tEqn_mZ6pPWg44_qlZj_4SVo-znOlBGmRKPflDw36uM-M4-15zBxBDXyXIAkfFUbJsZp4Wc10NMlrnth5_qM2O33zZgJxPbY0QPs0hdHOzCaNgb4Z1o6kxDdwUq2HWJj08rcht54YDq8Lu0U5WqekSJliAbtnUts0R6i3Aoy5dooS8vZiqUN0ORzYESDwdhdKY7jJ2DZhrNUQa5RY_-tpjZfgQOCOMFb8bRtA8BIVB=w1944-h1458-no

I live in Orange County and found out the fact as below:

- Ideal Range on 100% charge = 237 miles
- Ideal Range on 90% charge = 212 miles
- Actual Range on 90% charge = 150 miles *(yes, we lost about 30% from A/C, we drive the car VERY gently, we did have to use A/C quite a lot while the car is parked, because when my wife goes to pick up kids, there are a lot of 'waiting')

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Apart from the climate control (which impacts the range quite substantially), there is another factor that has a substantial impact on range: tire pressure. Make sure it is pretty high and it can easily add you a 5 to 10% range gain.

I check my tire pressure every month and make sure it is high enough to my taste. For me it both improves handling and adds range. Note that the first part (improved handling) applies to my RS. The added range will apply to any FEV.

Reactions: Topher and achen
I live in Orange County and found out the fact as below:

- Ideal Range on 100% charge = 237 miles
- Ideal Range on 90% charge = 212 miles
- Actual Range on 90% charge = 150 miles *(yes, we lost about 30% from A/C, we drive the car VERY gently, we did have to use A/C quite a lot while the car is parked, because when my wife goes to pick up kids, there are a lot of 'waiting')

I am a bit surprised on the actual range. I am contemplating changing from a X 90D to a X 75D and range is the main issue. Wondering if the extra 20 miles are worth the additional $12.5K.

I am a bit surprised on the actual range. I am contemplating changing from a X 90D to a X 75D and range is the main issue. Wondering if the extra 20 miles are worth the additional $12.5K.

To be fair, it is $10k and not $12.5k, because the 90D already comes with air suspension which is a $2500 option on the 70D, also you get active spoiler but I can't estimate how much that is worth.

On my X90D, I have 5000 miles 2000 of them are highway miles from a recent road trip and rest are local surface street. Our lifetime average so far is 349Wh. On 100% charge, the car shows anywhere from 255-257miles range. The factors that affect range are weather mainly winds and temperatures. Elevation will also matter. On the road trip we noticed that between supercharging, the mileage we got ranged from 298 to 490.

Also I have learnt to keep 25% margin when going on road trips and so at about 200miles it's ready to recharge. On the recent trip we recharged roughly between 180-210miles.

EPA ratings are just guidance and actual usage always varies even with ICE cars. For Tesla's they compute it at 65mph, 72F, flat elevation and don't consider winds which are the silent killers of range.

Last edited:
Opinions? Do you all think we could be ok with 75D range? I don't care about acceleration. 0-60 in 6 seconds is plenty fast.

I've been waiting to pull trigger on order for various reasons (have reservation since 2015). I'm still debating 75D or 90D. I "could" afford both, but of course would prefer to get 75D if it will work for our range needs. We also plan to keep the car 10+ years. So I need to factor in battery degradation and trying to drive with 80-90% charge most of the time.

We mainly drive from North Dallas to Austin/San Antonio area (superchargers along the way). Once every year or two we go on a long road-trip. We rarely would venture off main roads away from Superchargers.

We typically don't drive faster than 5-10mph over speed limit (at most; Wife drives faster than I do, and I drive most of the time).

Thoughts? I've seen the "range is king" discussions. And "if you can afford it, go with 90D" discussions. But now it's specific to 75D in Model X. I guess if we had more Superchargers in the 'Texas Triangle' then it's a non-issue and I'd get a 75D.

So it's a great question to ask, one that I wondered how reality would play out. For me in Florida, AC cranking, family of 5 (which means rear AC running), and staying 5-10 over speed limit I am seeing about 87% of the expected range in general. Was less efficient than I was hoping but that is reality. Honestly not sure 20 miles for $10k is worth it, but that's a personal decision. I'm happy I stayed with 75D and for 98% of my driving needs it is just fine. Just means for some road trips, I might have to stay a little longer at the charger than a 90D would and for $10k that's just fine with me.

So it's a great question to ask, one that I wondered how reality would play out. For me in Florida, AC cranking, family of 5 (which means rear AC running), and staying 5-10 over speed limit I am seeing about 87% of the expected range in general. Was less efficient than I was hoping but that is reality. Honestly not sure 20 miles for $10k is worth it, but that's a personal decision. I'm happy I stayed with 75D and for 98% of my driving needs it is just fine. Just means for some road trips, I might have to stay a little longer at the charger than a 90D would and for $10k that's just fine with me.
Thanks! great reply. It's nudging me towards 75D. I'll see how today's P100D announcement affects batteries/options/prices over the next 1-2 months, as I probably won't order X until then.

Opinions? Do you all think we could be ok with 75D range? I don't care about acceleration. 0-60 in 6 seconds is plenty fast.

I've been waiting to pull trigger on order for various reasons (have reservation since 2015). I'm still debating 75D or 90D. I "could" afford both, but of course would prefer to get 75D if it will work for our range needs. We also plan to keep the car 10+ years. So I need to factor in battery degradation and trying to drive with 80-90% charge most of the time.

We mainly drive from North Dallas to Austin/San Antonio area (superchargers along the way). Once every year or two we go on a long road-trip. We rarely would venture off main roads away from Superchargers.

We typically don't drive faster than 5-10mph over speed limit (at most; Wife drives faster than I do, and I drive most of the time).

Thoughts? I've seen the "range is king" discussions. And "if you can afford it, go with 90D" discussions. But now it's specific to 75D in Model X. I guess if we had more Superchargers in the 'Texas Triangle' then it's a non-issue and I'd get a 75D.

We are in similar boats! I was just debating 60 vs 75. Most of my driving is in DFW with my only real road trips in the triangle. I just don't have much of a use case for the capacity so long as I can get to Austin and Houston.

I went for the 75D. Should have it in September!

Reactions: vrykolas
After 20'000 km / 12'000 miles driven, my X75d range indicator in the dashboard shows a 90% range of 285 km / 177 miles. It was 300 km / 186 miles when the car was new.

What are your 90% ranges?

Last edited:
After 20'000 km / 12'000 miles driven, my X75d range indicator in the dashboard shows a 90% range of 285 km / 177 miles. It was 300 km / 186 miles when the car was new.

What are your 90% ranges?

Are you sure that's 90%? Your "when new" 186 miles is a close match for my 80% when new - and after 15k miles in 9 months, mine is still 185/186 at the 80% I typically charge to.