Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 75D Real World Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. What is your average Wh/km? Mine is about 270.

We don't use those newfangled metric thingees around here. :p

I think I'm back down to 337 Wh/mile lifetime (~210 Wh/km) - In decent weather I usually manage about my rated 308 Wh/mile (~192 Wh/km), better if I'm not in a hurry, but too many of my current miles were put on at 75 mph (~120 kph) in freezing weather during a pair of long winter road trips.

But it's all about the usage. Short trips, cold weather, high speeds all make it a lot worse.

Curious to hear experiences with real-world range with the 75Ds coming out in past month. Charging to 80%, 90% and 100% gets you theoretically 190mi, 212mi, and 237mi, resp. What is it in reality?

My AP1 & AP2 have been the same, so I don't think coming out in the past month matters. Just about 10,000 miles between the two and in cold weather I get the following on full charge:

85% in mild weather at local speeds (~70F)
90% in mild weather at mixed highway/local
75% in cold weather (<30 F)
50% while towing in mild weather
35% while towing at highway speeds in cold weather

Take those and multiply by the rated charge % numbers and that's what I get.

Gonna be driving from Irvine CA to a supercharger in Buellton, CA, which is 150 miles.

Do u guys think i can make that on one charge at 90% with my 75D? I typically like driving at 70-75 mph.

yes. however charge to 100% if you can before you leave. worst case, just stop at Oxnard.

EDIT: abetterouteplanner.com says you can't on one charge. might be the elevation changes and/or speed. the navigation system will tell you for sure if you can or can't.

Gonna be driving from Irvine CA to a supercharger in Buellton, CA, which is 150 miles.

Do u guys think i can make that on one charge at 90% with my 75D? I typically like driving at 70-75 mph.

150 miles at 75 should be an easy trip for a 75, even starting from 90%, unless there's a lot of altitude gain or serious winds.

As always, pay attention to what the car is predicting and think about fallback options.

Reactions: jtdiddy
I'm seeing some amazing consumption figures here in England. We have congested roads and I set max speed of 60mph.

Based on those figures 100%-0% range = 259 miles.

28052536737_9224ad4991_k_d.jpg

Reactions: xyeahtony
We don't use those newfangled metric thingees around here. :p

I think I'm back down to 337 Wh/mile lifetime (~210 Wh/km) - In decent weather I usually manage about my rated 308 Wh/mile (~192 Wh/km), better if I'm not in a hurry, but too many of my current miles were put on at 75 mph (~120 kph) in freezing weather during a pair of long winter road trips.

But it's all about the usage. Short trips, cold weather, high speeds all make it a lot worse.

My X 75D has averaged 454 Wh/mile over 5k miles, mostly local use - typically 15 mile trips at fairly high speed. It’s dropped closer to 400 Wh/mile in the summer and I’ve seen 350 Wh/mile on longer trips at moderate speed. I don’t make any effort to reduce consumption as I’m not range limited at all.

My X 75D has averaged 454 Wh/mile over 5k miles, mostly local use - typically 15 mile trips at fairly high speed. It’s dropped closer to 400 Wh/mile in the summer and I’ve seen 350 Wh/mile on longer trips at moderate speed. I don’t make any effort to reduce consumption as I’m not range limited at all.

so that is equivalent of 165 miles real world range even at 100%? (75000/454) that's a pretty big difference from the 237 advertised. :(

so that is equivalent of 165 miles real world range even at 100%? (75000/454) that's a pretty big difference from the 237 advertised. :(

It looks worse than it is because this is an accumulation of short fast trips. If I did a single long steady trip I would be under 400 Wh/mile, maybe 350 or less depending on speed. My 454 Wh/mile is pretty much a worse case scenario. I think 200 miles is a realistic range for a long journey without too much speed compromise. But I haven't used it for such a long trip yet to confirm.

• Helpful
Reactions: vrykolas and P85_DA
I have an X 75D loaner this week so have been charging it to 100% since not my car :eek::D... I just completed a long trip with some mountains , headwinds ...avg speed 75mph ...used AC and barely made 200 mile distance

I have an X 75D loaner this week so have been charging it to 100% since not my car :eek::D... I just completed a long trip with some mountains , headwinds ...avg speed 75mph ...used AC and barely made 200 mile distance

Sounds about right to me. Dropping the speed to 70 mph would have made that range more comfortable, but shows it can be done without any real compromise.

We are in similar boats! I was just debating 60 vs 75. Most of my driving is in DFW with my only real road trips in the triangle. I just don't have much of a use case for the capacity so long as I can get to Austin and Houston.

I went for the 75D. Should have it in September!

I'm sure you did all the figuring, but I really love my S. It has almost as much room as the X (I know, I know) and we haul around 3 grand kids and their luggage all the time, or four if we throw the baby in the frunk. JK!! Better aero, better handling, better range, lower purchase price.

OK. End of my silly suggestion.

Reactions: P85_DA