TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X 85D or P85D?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by adhawan, Dec 13, 2014.

?

To P or not to P

1. 85D

27 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. P85D

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  1. adhawan

adhawan Member

Assuming pricing, range, and acceleration differences are similar to Model S, which model do you (or would you) plan to buy and why? Like to hear your thoughts. Currently have a Sig 85 Model S which is plenty fast for us, and are looking to add an X with similar performance, but P85Ds seem to be all the rage.

Let's assume range is 10% less than Model S for 85kW battery, and acceleration to 60 mph is ~0.8 sec slower.

2. sigurdi

sigurdi Member

It will be a X85 why use a D when it only is delivered with Dual drive, less is more. ;-)
    I looking for a car for use, not showoff and I guess the regurlar will be faster than most cars in the same size car on the road.
    Will use money on things I need, like 3.row, tow hitch, Dual og 43kW AC, (Renault have that in EU, and some chargers already have support for it.)
    One more thing is the smal new designed engine in front and back.

3. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Do not need a D, but want to go to the snow and would not take the Model S. So I need both then I can get rid of my 2 ICE cars and be all electric. So an X85 as my second Tesla.

4. DCWitt

DCWitt Member

I'm hoping for XP110D, but will be happy with XP85D

5. ModelX

ModelX Member

I want the AWD, but don't need the performance. During my ride in P85D at the reveal I was pretty sure that cars should not be able to go so fast that your stomach is in your chest!

6. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

#6 Nevek, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    To P or not to P, that is the question—
    Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
    The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Costs,
    Or to take prudence against a Sea of Options,
    And by opposing, end them?
    (With apologies to WS)

I won't know until I see the configurator for the X and find how strong my willpower is before hitting the final button.

7. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I have a Model S P85 now that is ~20 months old.

If I stay a 1 Tesla household and trade the S for X then P85D all the way. :) If I wait a few years before getting the X and keep my Model S then I'll probably get the more cost effective 85D. (I'm leaning towards the latter).

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Huh. Do I spend some unknown amount more for the faster unknown version of the unreleased car, or save who knows how much money by getting the still-probably-really-fast unknown regular version of the unreleased car?

As you can probably tell by my paraphrasing, I don't really see this question as being one that can be rationally answered until Tesla comes up with some more information for us, unless money is no object and you need to have the "best" - in which case, go P all the way.

The rest of us will need to wait for pricing and performance information, and weigh what other options might be worth the money first. :)
    Walter

9. Phil Seastrand

I don't intend to buy the P version. I'll be more than happy with the standard version -- it will get me into plenty of trouble if I so choose!

10. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

My plan is to get the version with the most range which will likely be the non P version of D

11. timf

timf Member

Mine will be a standard 85(D). My budget is anything with 5 figures, and the Performance package will surely push things out of that range.

12. de704

de704 XP268

I refuse to participate in this poll because all X's are Dual Motor. Using the D is of the Model X amateur :mad:

LOL!! J/K... am I? :wink:

13. nzfatmatt

nzfatmatt Member

I will put money on no XP of any sort. It crashes, blue screens and isn't supported any more :p

14. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

The Tesla drivetrain is already stunningly quick and more than adequate for driving on public roads. We don't need to pay thousands more for wrap-me-around-a-lightpole quick.

15. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Then you better hope the other battery size isn't 98 :)

16. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

The P will be well outside my price range too. Even though I don't need that kind of power, it would certainly be fun to have one.

17. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Fortunately for us the OS is linux based :cool: