Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90 vs 100 weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm wondering in general how battery weight affects handling. how big a weight penalty is 100 vs 60? will def effect dynamics.
You probably want to compare 100 vs 75, since the 60s are just software-limited 75s (Yes, you are carrying out some dead weight if you paid for the 60kwh pack).

If @PedanticOne is correct with ~100lbs between 90 vs 100, then I would expect around ~250lbs between 100 vs 75.

Would love to hear some theories on why the 100D is not faster than the 90D. I would think it should be .2-.3 seconds faster on 0-60.

i have no evidence, but i believe it must be software limited to avoid cannibalizing P100D sales
It could be that the inverter is the limiting factor and not the battery wish had been the case before with smaller batteries.

Would love to hear some theories on why the 100D is not faster than the 90D. I would think it should be .2-.3 seconds faster on 0-60.
Why would higher battery capacity equate to higher performance? Tesla got better performance with the connections and fuses that allowed higher amperage and probably higher performance motors. If the connections and the motors are the same with the 90D and 100D, then the performance is going to be the same, the 100D will just carry you farther.

Reactions: PedanticOne
Why would higher battery capacity equate to higher performance? Tesla got better performance with the connections and fuses that allowed higher amperage and probably higher performance motors. If the connections and the motors are the same with the 90D and 100D, then the performance is going to be the same, the 100D will just carry you farther.
From my understanding, the limiting factor with the P90D was the battery. If the battery could drain faster, the motor could handle more power. With the P100D's bigger battery, more power was available and hence the lower 0-60 times.

According to the specifications on Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

upload_2017-5-15_20-53-36.png

Thanks, that chart is helpful. So if the 100d is 220lb heavier than 90d, then it must be slower than the 90d assuming power and torque remained the same, or does the 100d can generate just enough extra power to compensate for the extra weight?

Tesla.com quotes both the 90d and 100d as having the same 0-60 times of 4.2s. Is that spec at curb weight or max gross weight? If it is curb weight than the 100d would have a bit of extra power. If it is gross weight then is it possible that the 100d have less payload capacity than the 90d?

Unlike model S, model X has 5 seaters with relatively lightweight bench seat vs 6/7-seaters with absolutely heavy monopost seats. This should be taken into account too somehow, though I am not aware if anybody actually made the measurements to confirm the actual weight difference.

It's my understanding that the bigger battery allows for more current to be sent to the motors and I assume that extra energy can easily compensate for the added weight.
Sure, but as I understand it so is the only different between the old 85 and P85 a different inverter wish could give more current and if so maybe it's the same Between P100D and 100D. If it's the inverter and not the battery that limte the current it would mean that a bigger battery don't help.

Sure, but as I understand it so is the only different between the old 85 and P85 a different inverter wish could give more current and if so maybe it's the same Between P100D and 100D. If it's the inverter and not the battery that limits the current it would mean that a bigger battery don't help.
I'm not too knowledgeable about the differences between the 85 and P85, but with the Model-X, when you get a performance vehicle, the following are done:
- You get a larger rear motor (non-performance vehicles have 2 identical motors)
- You get a INCONEL fuse to handle the higher temperatures/energy

The inverter might be rated for higher current/voltage, but without a bigger battery to provide those higher currents/voltages, it would be a pointless upgrade.

Therefore, I suspect that you need both a bigger battery and a higher-rated inverter to achieve more torque. Of course, a bigger motor is required too, but that should be more obvious.