Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90kWh battery pack degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first 90 packs were not as good as the 85, the 70, the 75, or the later 90 packs. It's one of the big reasons for this thread to exist in the first place.

so I'm relatively "safe" with a used '17 75 pack @65K miles ? SC says it's at 200mi @ 90%. Is there some way to get to the service menu or thru a 3rd party app to confirm during delivery?

It rarely seems to do any good, but I'd go ahead and put a service request in. You are still covered by the 8 year battery/drive unit warranty, yes?

Sorry for the trouble!
Yes, until September of next year thankfully. That's part of the reason why I bought this car, b/c I knew that my (heavy) usage case was likely to show any issues long before that warranty was up. I've only had it for about 6 weeks now, and already done more than 6k miles on it and 88% supercharging.

I do plan to put in a service request, but I'd like to have both a concrete error to point at, as well as a spare vehicle / place to stay while they fart around with it. This is a portable hotel on my work trips, so I can't be without it as transport and shelter both. If I can hit them with actual data, it's a lot harder for the service center to maintain the lie that everything will be working just fine.

I'm connected to another destination charger right now as I type this, and it is at 90%, 5kw, 25 out of 72 amps.... And "calculating" the remaining time rather than telling me how much longer. I expect it to stop sometime in the next couple hours - perfect to waste all night instead of keeping going to full. If it was balancing, that would be one thing. But there's no information available, even in service mode. Anyone know if ScanMyTesla can read / show what the BMS is doing? I've got that available to me as well as Tessie.

ouch. Are these problems prevalent in 75 also or just 90 like OP?
As far as I am aware, there are degradation issues (just different) with the other packs, BUT the problem is also that depending on when the car was built, you might have a 90 pack that was limited in software. The only way to know is to look under the front passenger wheel and see what the sticker says, which pack / revision you have to work with.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
so I'm relatively "safe" with a used '17 75 pack @65K miles ? SC says it's at 200mi @ 90%. Is there some way to get to the service menu or thru a 3rd party app to confirm during delivery?

The Tessie app is your friend - it will give you a lot of the data that people in this thread are talking about. You can also get more creative with diagnostic cables and dongles and ScanMyTesla.

The service menu is accessible (and EVERYONE should know how to access this!) by going to the software screen in the car (with the picture of the car) and holding your finger on the model name words for 5 seconds. NOT the name you gave the car, but where it says "Model X 90" (or whatever) under the image of the car. A little bubble will show, then when you lift off, a password box will appear. Type "service" without the quotes, all lowercase. Now you are in service mode, and you can look around / press all the buttons and see what's going on. Some tests and options are available, the alerts tab is probably the most important thing to look at though b/c it will show whatever the car has detected about itself and isn't happy about. Anything that is "earlier" is stuff that cleared, but might need attention eventually.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
The Tessie app is your friend - it will give you a lot of the data that people in this thread are talking about. You can also get more creative with diagnostic cables and dongles and ScanMyTesla.

The service menu is accessible (and EVERYONE should know how to access this!) by going to the software screen in the car (with the picture of the car) and holding your finger on the model name words for 5 seconds. NOT the name you gave the car, but where it says "Model X 90" (or whatever) under the image of the car.

A little bubble will show, then when you lift off, a password box will appear. Type "service" without the quotes, all lowercase. Now you are in service mode, and you can look around / press all the buttons and see what's going on. Some tests and options are available, the alerts tab is probably the most important thing to look at though b/c it will show whatever the car has detected about itself and isn't happy about. Anything that is "earlier" is stuff that cleared, but might need attention eventually.

thanks! good info will try that on my 3 to get used to it. How do you get out of service mode?

Yes, until September of next year thankfully. That's part of the reason why I bought this car, b/c I knew that my (heavy) usage case was likely to show any issues long before that warranty was up. I've only had it for about 6 weeks now, and already done more than 6k miles on it and 88% supercharging.

I do plan to put in a service request, but I'd like to have both a concrete error to point at, as well as a spare vehicle / place to stay while they fart around with it. This is a portable hotel on my work trips, so I can't be without it as transport and shelter both. If I can hit them with actual data, it's a lot harder for the service center to maintain the lie that everything will be working just fine.

I'm connected to another destination charger right now as I type this, and it is at 90%, 5kw, 25 out of 72 amps.... And "calculating" the remaining time rather than telling me how much longer. I expect it to stop sometime in the next couple hours - perfect to waste all night instead of keeping going to full. If it was balancing, that would be one thing. But there's no information available, even in service mode. Anyone know if ScanMyTesla can read / show what the BMS is doing? I've got that available to me as well as Tessie.

As far as I am aware, there are degradation issues (just different) with the other packs, BUT the problem is also that depending on when the car was built, you might have a 90 pack that was limited in software. The only way to know is to look under the front passenger wheel and see what the sticker says, which pack / revision you have to work with.
'Car won't charge above 95% on multiple attempts' sounds like a pretty reasonable service request to me. Even better if it's actually 93% or something lower.

Reactions: geordi