Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90kWh battery pack degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the market to pick up a used X and the 2016 model year 90D is what fits in our budget. Does anyone know what month the cutoff is (about) to get the improved battery chemistry?

Also, I’ve been emailing the Tesla used car sales person and he says that they don’t do any battery capacity checks as part of their inspection. I suggested that charging to 90% and recording the rated miles or, at least, comparing the rated miles to charge % for an extrapolation would be a simple thing to do and very helpful.
Is there a reason you're buying a Model X? I feel like for the same money as a used X you can get a new Model Y

Falcon Wing Doors (to make loading a little one easier) and size (6 seat config). And it’s what my wife wants.

It’s a bit of a party trick, but I love the auto-presenting front door. Feels like the future!
That's the same reason we bought the X. Getting the 2 year old buckled in is so easy. We took it to the coast right after we got it. Amazing car!!!
Our Tesla service guy has told me there is nothing wrong with the 90 battery packs. But there are plenty of people that would say otherwise. There are some great deals on Tesla's website.

That's the same reason we bought the X. Getting the 2 year old buckled in is so easy. We took it to the coast right after we got it. Amazing car!!!
Our Tesla service guy has told me there is nothing wrong with the 90 battery packs. But there are plenty of people that would say otherwise. There are some great deals on Tesla's website.

FYI, we almost pulled the trigger on a 2016 90D. 53k miles and only about 5% battery capacity loss. And it was an early VIN. On that one, anyway, the battery seemed fine.

We see no battery degradation. MX 2016 90d, 6 seater, 36k miles on the clock. We had a trip over weekend with 3 persons, fully loaded front trunk and Thule bike trailer with 3 bikes. 80% of the trip speed was around 60mph. The results: 122 miles = 38 kWh. Considering the fact usable battery capacity is 81.8 kWh, we arrive at 262 miles it can be covered under these conditions.
Should the calculation be wrong above let me know.