Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90kWh battery pack degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m somewhat surprised by the amount of outrage on this issue. Every ICE car I owned had a decrease in mileage over time - my Highlander Hybrid went from 30 mpg to just over 25 mpg at 150k miles. BTW, my P90DL X reports anywhere from 211 to 224 miles at a 90% charge - it varies every time using the same charger in my apartment building.

There is nothing gradual about that level of loss. Tesla has replaced 90 batteries for owners when they dropped below 250 miles.
I've lost ~2 miles of range in 10,000 miles and one year. I was showing 294 miles of range initially. Most of my charges were from Supercharging. Rarely go below 35% and have charged to 100% about a dozen times. Typically charge to 80-90%. My S90D is an October 2016 build.

Sorry... Just saw this is a Model X thread... I have an S.

Mine were Ss also. The original 90 published range was 270 ish (if I remember correctly). the 70D was 240. X numbers may be different but either way the original 85 batteries were going well over 50k miles with 2-3 miles of loss. In comparison having your 90 battery degrade to 70 levels in a year is (in my opinion) totally unacceptable. Each owner has to make up their own mind. Tesla bought mine back. What you do is up to you.

My P90DL is down to 213 miles at 90% with 33,000 miles. I know that the degradation is excessive when compared with the 85's, Gen 2 90's, my wife's 75D (which has more range), and given my lifetime consumption which is around 330 wh/m and shows that I have babied this car. I have Supercharged / Chademo'd it < 10 times in 2 years and range charged it maybe 5 times in total.

I'm however torn on this issue. I can't honestly say that if I got back say another 30 miles with a new battery, it would make any difference in my charging regime or long distance trips. I am worried that the degradation will continue at a steeper rate but I am covered by an 8 year warranty. Perhaps I'l wait a few years and see how bad it is.

I want the best for Tesla and I want them to be a strong healthy company so that they are around to honour my battery warranty if it is needed a few years down the line.

I’m somewhat surprised by the amount of outrage on this issue. Every ICE car I owned had a decrease in mileage over time - my Highlander Hybrid went from 30 mpg to just over 25 mpg at 150k miles. BTW, my P90DL X reports anywhere from 211 to 224 miles at a 90% charge - it varies every time using the same charger in my apartment building.

Sorry but this comparison is irrelevant.

Over New Years we range charged again. 100% = 227. THAT USED TO BE MY 90%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm never seeing more than 70 kWh consumed on any trip. Where are the missing 20 kWh (I know there is some saved at the top and bottom)????

Over New Years we range charged again. 100% = 227. THAT USED TO BE MY 90%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm never seeing more than 70 kWh consumed on any trip. Where are the missing 20 kWh (I know there is some saved at the top and bottom)????

Me neither. More like 65 kwh available consumption at 90% charge.

davidc18, did Tesla buy your car back or did they replace your battery pack?

... has 24k miles. At full charge was about 255 miles full charge and 90% was 225. Now, it’s 235 for a full charge and 208 for 90%.

Check out the degradation graph here. There are many Teslas at 94% at that mileage. The degradation slows down after 45,000 miles. The interesting here is that you were getting 255 mi rated range. Is it possible that range mode was on when you read that number? See the video here.

I have an X90D with about 23k miles built in October 2016 and my 90% charge has gone from 232 miles to 230 miles. Believe it or not I do almost all my charging over a regular 110 plug and local super charger when I get below 100 miles which is about every 5 days give or take with varying outside temps and use. I don't know if that has anything to do with my low amount of loss.

Do you take into account that batteries during cold times have less capacity? How much do you have in middle of summer?

@KOL2000
Our non performance 90D delivered March 2016 gets 209mi at 90% and 232 @ 100%. We took it in, they kept it for a week going full discharge/charge cycles trying to "balance" the pack to no avail. They refused to do anything about it.
Please PM me if you have been able to make any progress.
We Love tesla, it's our 3rd, but we are really upset that our 90 pack performs exactly like a seasoned 75pack.
Help help!!

@KOL2000
Our non performance 90D delivered March 2016 gets 209mi at 90% and 232 @ 100%. We took it in, they kept it for a week going full discharge/charge cycles trying to "balance" the pack to no avail. They refused to do anything about it.
Please PM me if you have been able to make any progress.
We Love tesla, it's our 3rd, but we are really upset that our 90 pack performs exactly like a seasoned 75pack.
Help help!!
Our 90D isn't much better at 216/238 (2016, 30K miles)