Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90kWh battery pack degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, thought I would post my range as well.
2017 90D Model S

Delivered 08/2017 - 100% 299 miles (I've seen 300-301 also)
After 15k miles on the car, it's now - 100% 277 miles

I rarely ever trip charge, and have tried to turn cabin protection off but that doesn't make much of a difference.
Not sure if this is normal, but definitely wish I would have gone with a 100D after finding out the 90 is really an 87.5 and the 100 is 102.5.

Disappointed to say the least...but I still love this thing.

Hey guys, thought I would post my range as well.
2017 90D Model S

Delivered 08/2017 - 100% 299 miles (I've seen 300-301 also)
After 15k miles on the car, it's now - 100% 277 miles

I rarely ever trip charge, and have tried to turn cabin protection off but that doesn't make much of a difference.
Not sure if this is normal, but definitely wish I would have gone with a 100D after finding out the 90 is really an 87.5 and the 100 is 102.5.

Disappointed to say the least...but I still love this thing.

I would say that is a bit of a fast drop in range in just 15k miles in 10 months. What version of the 90D battery pack do you have? You'll need to crawl under the front-right corner behind the wheel and peek at the sticker on the front corner of the battery pack to find out.

When my Jan 2016-built (pre-refresh, v1 battery pack) 90D hit 15k miles it was after only 4 months of driving it and I was down to 286 miles out of 295 miles when new and 100% charge.

After 10 months of driving (as old as yours is now), I was up to 34k miles and range was down to 276 miles. I believe "miles driven" has more of an impact on range loss than "length of time."

Oh heck, i'll throw my data in the range loss hat.

When I bought my 2016 X used in October of 2017 with 8400 miles, I supercharged on the way home with it to 252 miles. unfortunately, I don't have the brand new range to compare with. 2 days ago I was on a road trip and supercharged it up to 100% for only the 2nd time and it was at 241 at 16,700 miles. I wasn't exactly thrilled about the over 6% total range loss (off 257) and was even less thrilled about the nearly 5% I've lost in just the last "middling" 8300 miles in only 8 months, when it's supposed to be "leveling off".

I've heard that the 90 packs are more prone to loss but this is slightly disheartening. Still...just in this thread alone, i've heard some REAL loss, so I typically just bite my tongue and hope the bleeding stops.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Do people think this change will cause my battery to degrade faster?
I dont think 72A will make much difference. I've done it a few times. This is only 10% charge rate of what the car takes at the SC.

Sometimes, when leaving a supercharger at 100% range (262 miles shown on display) just 1 mile down the road the range is now 258 miles so those 3 miles / 1% of range is sometimes not available
I've seen it happen almost everytime. It appears that charging at high Amp rate somehow inflates the voltage faster and make the BMS think the battery is full but actually does not have the battery fully perform the chemical reactions needed to get to that charged state. To validate this, I noticed I almost always seem to have more range (around 5-7 miles) when I charge at a lower rate (ex: 240v 12A).
After this observation I set my home charging rate to about 25A as well considering how much I normally use everyday.

I've seen it happen almost everytime. It appears that charging at high Amp rate somehow inflates the voltage faster and make the BMS think the battery is full but actually does not have the battery fully perform the chemical reactions needed to get to that charged state. To validate this, I noticed I almost always seem to have more range (around 5-7 miles) when I charge at a lower rate (ex: 240v 12A).

After this observation I set my home charging rate to about 25A as well considering how much I normally use everyday.

That's interesting, @digicool, and I can test that out tomorrow when I charge to 100%. I'll drop it to 20A or even 15A and complete the charge from 90% to 100% and find out if it is any different from a supercharger.

The supercharger drops down to just a few kW of power in the last 30 minutes when charging to 100%. Here is a Teslafi graph from a recent 53% to 100% charge at a supercharger. It was 9 kW at 3:12 am (1 hr from completion). Although it is 404V near the end, it is only 5A so just 2 kW. The range almost always drops 3 miles of range within the first 1/2 mile but I'll test this again with the home charger.

upload_2018-9-26_15-22-32.png

Lost 5% rated miles early on which is typical. Now practical range at 63k miles is about 200. Just had a typical trip 140 miles using 89%-19% at highway speeds with moderate dry weather, people, dog, gear. Not the Bjorn way, but extrapolates to 2mi/1%. Tesla recently analyzed the battery data and said it was typical. Can’t exactly compare that to the original EPA rating of 250 miles since this was not EPA driving.
Back when new I got 2 to 2.5 mi/%, lower number in trips with higher speed.

I have unintentionally been running a strange charging experiment for last couple years/26,000 miles using a combination of super fast and super slow charging with a regular 110 outlet and local super charger. My degradation in MX90D has gone from 232 to 230 for my 90%. On Monday if all goes well with my HPWC on a 100A breaker, I will charge almost completely at my MX's max home rate of 72A. Do people think this change will cause my battery to degrade faster?

I am now 5 months and 9000 more miles since changing to HPWC from regular 110 outlet with supplemental super charging. My 90% has gone from 230 to 222. That is a pretty big jump in degradation. My theory is that the increased rate of degradation has more to do with daily charging the battery to 80% and 90% than with the speed of charge. There are of course other explanations like most degradation happens after 30k or something like that. I am going to experiment with only charging 75% to 80% and timing it so my MX does not sit more than an hour at those higher percentages and see if the degradation slows down. What do all of you think is the most likely explanation and what I should do to preserve my MX's range?

What do all of you think is the most likely explanation and what I should do to preserve my MX's range?

The additional 9000 miles, colder temperatures and changes to the software algorithms could all contribute to the decreased range. Just last week, I reported that my range had gone up by several miles when I was on 2018.32.4. I just upgraded to 2018.39.6 and now my estimated range it back to where it was before installing 32.4.

The additional 9000 miles, colder temperatures and changes to the software algorithms could all contribute to the decreased range. Just last week, I reported that my range had gone up by several miles when I was on 2018.32.4. I just upgraded to 2018.39.6 and now my estimated range it back to where it was before installing 32.4.

If I had to guess when it dropped range the most, it would be in the first month of changing to the HPWC and regularly charging to 80-90% over night.

If I had to guess when it dropped range the most, it would be in the first month of changing to the HPWC and regularly charging to 80-90% over night.
I used to charge to 90% once a week (free charging at work) but switched to charging to 80% or so at home 3 to 4 times a week a few months ago. I didn't notice any difference whether I charged to 80% or 90%.

Before upgrading to 32.4, my 80% charge would show a range of 228 or so. Then with 32.4, it jumped up to 231. Now with 39.6, it's back down to 226 to 228.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf