Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90kWh battery pack degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I have a 2015 model S P90D. I understand this is the model X thread but this topic relates to both models.
I fought Tesla for a year due to unusual battery degradation on my V1 pack. Eventually they agreed to replace it and lucky for me it took them a year because by then the V3 battery was available.
The V1 suffered close to 10% degradation after one year.
The V3 will be 2 years old on 12/14/2018 it has experienced 3.8 % degradation at the 30k mile mark.

In my findings as well as others... any owner that does not have a V3 battery, does not have the specified car that tesla advertised.

I have only positive things to say about my car since Tesla swapped my V1 with the V3. Which I feel should have been done for all 90 pack owners without a V3 pack.

At the time of replacement I asked Tesla if I needed to sign an NDA. They said no. Because my case was rare. I could prove that my battery did not gradually degrade, which is the wording of the battery warranty. There was nothing linear about the degradation. They eventually agreed to replace the battery under the guise of customer satisfaction. They never did admit it was a bad battery.

Hope this helps.

I just posted this on the other "What's your 90% thread", but thought I'd share this here as well...

An update for my X 90D, currently at about 35k miles...

During this summer/fall, my 90% has consistently been 221-223 miles. Last winter, I was seeing about 217-219 consistently when I charge to 90%. I'll see what it is this winter...but overall I feel that my battery charging/performance has actually been fairly stable and consistent.

My battery on my X90D continues to slowly degrade. From TeslaFi:
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 10.34.36 AM.png

I used the rated miles. At time of purchase my 2015 P90D was at the expected 268 rated miles at 100% SOC.
After less than 2 months it was at 254. At the end of the first year it was at 245.

That's a pretty steep fall. My almost 5 year old Model S 85 has 180k miles on it and charges to 240 miles. Those 90 packs degrade way too fast.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier and Walta
One more data point - April 2016 build X 90D. At 50K miles my 100% is 244 miles. I charge routinely at home to 90% at 40amps. I have also been very careful to minimize time spent at 100% when I go on trips. This is about what I expected when I bought the car.
FusionCharts.jpg