Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90kWh battery pack degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be honest I wouldn't expect new packs just because they stopped building these a while back. Most are probably remanufactured sitting in some warehouse. Once those are gone, I then you can expect remanufactured 100kwh packs.
Not necessarily true. At the end of last year when Tesla was pushing sales the person at the store connected to service center showed me they still had new mode x 90D’s in their inventory for immediate sale. I was shocked but he said they still have some from time to time- but honestly not sure why anyone in the market for a new one would get a 90D

Not necessarily true. At the end of last year when Tesla was pushing sales the person at the store connected to service center showed me they still had new mode x 90D’s in their inventory for immediate sale. I was shocked but he said they still have some from time to time- but honestly not sure why anyone in the market for a new one would get a 90D
It is probably their inventory vehicles which might be display model or loaner substitute vehicles or just vehicles they built way back and no one buying 90d given the all the bad press about 90kwh pack.

My 100D with 26K and 18 months old just went from full charge 286 to 256 full within 3 months..New it was 294 .... .
I rarely use superchargers , about 8 times a year ..Always charge to 80% (225 mi) each night at home ..
So , not the norm , I guess ..Degradation is 11% in the 18 months ..Not Happy ...

ditzpro, I had a Signature Model S P85 that went from 265 miles at 100% to 220 at 100% after 3 years with maybe 24,000 miles on it. I was charging in that 60 to 80% range and not driving very far between charges. I was very concerned. Hearing that balancing occurs at levels above 93%, I started charging to 95% regularly, never leaving it at 95% for long, but gradually over the course of a couple of months of consistently charging to 95% and driving almost immediately, that 100% went back up to 250 miles. Not saying it will work for you, but you might try it.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
ditzpro, I had a Signature Model S P85 that went from 265 miles at 100% to 220 at 100% after 3 years with maybe 24,000 miles on it. I was charging in that 60 to 80% range and not driving very far between charges. I was very concerned. Hearing that balancing occurs at levels above 93%, I started charging to 95% regularly, never leaving it at 95% for long, but gradually over the course of a couple of months of consistently charging to 95% and driving almost immediately, that 100% went back up to 250 miles. Not saying it will work for you, but you might try it.
FWIW, my 2014 Model S P85 with 50k miles on it charges to 257 miles at 100%. Man, I love that car.

Reactions: StephenS
2016 P90DL w/49k - 100% @ 227 miles :oops:

Screenshot_20190327_062002.jpg

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA and ohmman
My 100D X with 27K on it and 18 months old went from 285 miles full charge to 256 full charge in the last 3 months . It was fine in December 18 at 285 and now 256 ...Weird , to happen after 15 months with very little degrading ...
Always respected the 20-90 rule when charging .

Does the little battery symbol charge indicator show 100% even if your car only shows 256 miles when "Charging Complete " shows .
Mine (battery symbol) never goes to the end anymore ...Maybe this indicates a problem with the software that is stopping it from charging to full ..Forkee's green indicator shows full at 227 and mine shows about 80% when complete .
Confused about this .

Does the little battery symbol charge indicator show 100% even if your car only shows 256 miles when "Charging Complete " shows .
Mine (battery symbol) never goes to the end anymore ...Maybe this indicates a problem with the software that is stopping it from charging to full ..Forkee's green indicator shows full at 227 and mine shows about 80% when complete .
Confused about this .
Actually, this would indicate more of a problem with the pack. If it's stopping before showing 100%, it's very possible a group of cells has become considerably out of balance with the rest of the pack. If you can, charge to 100% a few times in a row, and do so at a slower charge rate so it takes longer to "top off". This will give the BMS more time to bleed the power from the higher voltage cells.

• Informative
Reactions: MLo1
talked to a tech today after trying yesterday ..He said he could get a virtual(?) tech to look at the battery specs ,but , not til Monday .
He did agree that something was wrong ..My first "X"90D (255 mile range ) that I had for 16 months never got below 250 miles ..It never concerned me ...Now my 100D is less than that ..I'm sure there's a software glitch here some where ..

talked to a tech today after trying yesterday ..He said he could get a virtual(?) tech to look at the battery specs ,but , not til Monday .
He did agree that something was wrong ..My first "X"90D (255 mile range ) that I had for 16 months never got below 250 miles ..It never concerned me ...Now my 100D is less than that ..I'm sure there's a software glitch here some where ..
I'd be surprised if it was software. Sounds more like my situation and they will replace your HV battery - just stay on them and document who you spoke with. Tesla has horrible handoffs and communication between different departments. Be persistent but cordial.

Reactions: Vegas
Yeah if you have that much range loss, it's usually due to a module in the pack going bad. I found out the hard way that a failed module will NOT trigger an alert for Tesla to call you, and will NOT trigger an alert for the car to notify you. It will just silently reduce range and disable that module with no indication there's a problem.

Happened on my 90 pack about a year and a half ago. I noticed a slight reduction in launch power in Ludicrous mode and a 20 mile range loss. Once I called Tesla about it, they said OH... yeah, you have a bad module in your pack. Like duh? You'd think a smart car like a Tesla would notify me that it's disabled a whole @#$@# module, ya know?

Reactions: MLo1