Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X AC not working after only 2 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The air conditioning stopped working today on my brand new X only after two weeks. If I reboot the car, passenger side seems to start to work for 30 seconds and then dies out. Just blows normal air. Not hot or cold. Tried everything, turning smart preconditioning on and off, range mode toggle, auto climate, multiple reboots... sigh...
anyone else having that issue? Local SC could not figure it out otp. After the plethora of issue on my S, really was looking forward to a trouble free car.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Finally got it fixed AGAIN. The first time service refilled the refrigerant suggesting perhaps the factory didn't fill properly. But sure enough it went bad again so this time around they used black light and found the leak in the condenser. Ordered a new one and replaced. After a week in the shop, finally have the X back. fingers crossed. BTW, I have seen others with the AC issue. so clearly its a supplier issue.

Finally got it fixed AGAIN. The first time service refilled the refrigerant suggesting perhaps the factory didn't fill properly. But sure enough it went bad again so this time around they used black light and found the leak in the condenser.

If anyone ever tells you they need to re-fill the refrigerant, then it is a concern.
If it is low on refrigerant, then it was either partially filled to begin with (very unlikely) or there is a leak.

Good that they found the leak and they weren't constantly telling you it needed to be refilled since it was hot out ;)

Reactions: mswlogo
This happened to me too after about 3 weeks of owning the car. It hit 100 over memorial weekend and or was all my baby could take! Ironic since the day it happened my wife and I were just commenting how cold the ac was.

I have a brand new (two weeks old) Model S P100 and the ac stopped working and was only blowing HOT air. They picked up the car and I am being told they have to replace the expansion valve. Seems so strange that on a brand new car they wouldn't fix an ongoing issue before delivery. My husband also has a Model S P85 (2014) and he is having intermittent issues with his ac so they are going to replace his next.

Seems like this is ongoing for new deliveries as I just saw another thread regarding this issue for brand new MXes. Mine is 2 weeks old and AC worked on the first day and after 1 week it stopped. It's at the SC today and will report back on what was replaced.

Having the same issue (link here). Ranger service pulled logs and think there might be a refrigerant pressure issue (leak?). He won't be able to come look at it till next Tuesday and advised against driving it since the AC is also used to cool the battery and drive train. Not sure if I can go back driving my 02 Civic :(

Finally got it fixed AGAIN. The first time service refilled the refrigerant suggesting perhaps the factory didn't fill properly. But sure enough it went bad again so this time around they used black light and found the leak in the condenser. Ordered a new one and replaced. After a week in the shop, finally have the X back. fingers crossed. BTW, I have seen others with the AC issue. so clearly its a supplier issue.

Did you ask why they didn't use the black light the first time you brought it in? Seems like it would have been a basic, first thing to try kind of thing.

AC is bad in the X, very loud, multiple people have commented on why the car is so loud, massive fan noise from the front, etc... rear X constantly turns on and off by itself as well....

Interesting...living in SW Florida & arguably hotter than Miami in Summer, I just haven't experienced that after 14 months of ownership/28K miles.

Vehicle definitely makes noise charging at Superchargers but who cares about that......

Got my MX back and the fix was:

Concern: AC blows warm air.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Battery Chiller
Function tested and verified concern. Replaced battery chiller, function tested and verified
AC is now operating as designed.

ASSY, BATT CHILLER AND EXV, MX
(1037357-00-D)
1 O-RING, HNBR, 12.22mm (ID) x 2.48mm (T)
(1010832-00-A)
1 O-RING, HNBR 6.07 x 2.18 (1024772-00-A) 1

Reactions: ModelX
Got my MX back and the fix was:

Concern: AC blows warm air.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Battery Chiller
Function tested and verified concern. Replaced battery chiller, function tested and verified
AC is now operating as designed.

ASSY, BATT CHILLER AND EXV, MX
(1037357-00-D)
1 O-RING, HNBR, 12.22mm (ID) x 2.48mm (T)
(1010832-00-A)
1 O-RING, HNBR 6.07 x 2.18 (1024772-00-A) 1

I wonder if ranger service can fix this or if they will have to haul it to the nearest service center :(