Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Accelerator Pedal vs the Brake Pedal - Awkward Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Accelerator Pedal vs the Brake Pedal.

1. I notice my right constantly rubbing against the right side of the carpet when I press down the accelerator pedal.
* The Pedal looks like it's in the right position, but I am consistently bumping against the right carpet wall, obstructing my ability to properly press down.

2. The relationship of the accelerator to the brake. There's something odd about it. The accelerator pedal is located too far down, and/or the brake pedal is too far up.. so I find myself "unnaturally" having to compensate and lift my feet up to press on the brakes. Not a natural feel. Not smooth. Very awkward.
* Lifting my foot unnaturally "up" in order to get to the brakes.

Attachments

• tesla model x pedal locations.jpg
    tesla model x pedal locations.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 211
I wonder if the build on X's are so "different" that no two are the same....

The variance can be that different between cars.. I can believe it...

Some people have seatbelt issues, others don't.. others have issues w/ the pedals.. and so on...

The Accelerator Pedal vs the Brake Pedal.
The accelerator pedal is located too far down, and/or the brake pedal is too far up.. so I find myself "unnaturally" having to compensate and lift my feet up to press on the brakes. Not a natural feel.
* Lifting my foot unnaturally "up" in order to get to the brakes.

I'm still waiting for my Model X 100D, so I have to envy your awkward pedals, but you will note that all cars have a brake that's higher than the accelerator, although the degree may vary. And it is to ensure that your foot develops a feel for which is the brake and which is the accelerator. Frankly, I always felt that the accelerator should be higher than the brake, but what do I know?

I'm still waiting for my Model X 100D, so I have to envy your awkward pedals, but you will note that all cars have a brake that's higher than the accelerator, although the degree may vary. And it is to ensure that your foot develops a feel for which is the brake and which is the accelerator. Frankly, I always felt that the accelerator should be higher than the brake, but what do I know?

Yes this is true.. but on the X... its oddly AWKWARD.

I don't find mine awkward at all. It does hit the right side wall, which I was hoping the new Tesla mats would cover (like the S) but it doesn't.

Could be a Tesla build issue...could be your foot sizing. I would say take it into the SC and talk to them about it. These cars are drive by wire, so it very well may be possible to adjust them.

That could be the "reason".. but it feels very awkward....

Do you personally feel "natural" w/ it?
I haven't noticed any issues or even thought about it, so I have to say it must feel natural to me.

However, your situation may be different. You likely have bigger feet than me (I'm size 10) or it's possible that your pedals are not properly configured. There is no harm in asking a Tesla SC to see if they can adjust your pedals to your liking.

I agree it is awkward, and it has caused some issues for me. Twice, during my first few months with the car, my foot slipped off the brake pedal and hit the accelerator (possibly because I didn't expect it to be so high during emergency braking). I'm used to it now, but it was scary when it happened (and had never happened to me before in 20+ years of driving various other vehicles).

I drove an older Ferrari once and the pedals were crammed so close together I could barely fit my foot on the accelerator without also pressing the brake. The distance between the edge of the brake pedal and the footwell was a hair larger than my shoe (which wasn't a racing shoe LOL).

OP have you considered a larger brake pedal cover?