Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Accessories I've purchased and will review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I just picked up my 2020 Model X, all black with the Onyx 22 wheels, 5 seater. I've spent the last week looking at ways to improve the vehicle, addons and accessories that will make life better in this spaceship. There isn't a ton of insight into products that don't feel like ads, so I wanted to give a list of the things I've decided to purchase and later on will give my 2 cents on whether they were worth it.

Xpel Stealth PFF wrap. I'll own this thing for the next 10 years and wanted to protect the finish, but also love the satin finish that the stealth wrap provides. I was several videos of various teslas wrapped in xpel ppf and loved it so I'm going for it and hope it turns out.

Dechrome. Whiled getting the PPF, going to dechrome it as well.

Tesla wall charger. Cause you need one at home. I went with the 18' although the 8' probably would have reached. Cost was the same and I feel was a safer pick
Wall Connector - Gen 3

Phone dock. I keep my phone in a case which holds credit cards in the back, so the Qi charger wasn't an option and this was the best solution I could find. I just hope the phone fits into the larger guide.
Model S/X Quick Connection Phone Dock

Performance pedals. Love the look of these. There were much cheaper options on Amazon, but I was ordering a bunch from Tesla and just added these in. They will also do the install.
Model S/X Performance Pedal Set

Key Band. I don't know why they couldn't allow for a ring on the current key, this solution seems awful as I would imagine the rubber will slide off easily, but I'll give it a try.
Model X Key Band

Floors Mats. Living in Canada, it's a requirement. I almost went with the 3D Maxpider ones, but there was some chatter about their fit on the new Model X, and the direct from Tesla had great feedback from people. Safe pick here.
Model X All Weather Interior Mats

Bin. I usually find myself with a ton of trash, wrappers etc in the car and I've never had a garbage bin in the vehicle, but I can see it making sense. I looked around a lot and this one seems to check a lot of boxes.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01078GH6A/

Center console box. Generally not a fan of the way the consoles are setup in the Model X. The center console, too easy for things to slide out of it, the large console is too deep for items and I find myself putting drinks in there cause the drink slots take away the arm rest. And the other slot with the USBs is a bit small. So hoping this box makes things a little more organized.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06Y5LSKMZ/

Frunk Cooler. I had a little beer explosion the first day after getting the car in the frunk and it still smells. So I wanted to get something to put groceries into that could keep things cooler longer, but also could be used for any camping trips. I nearly went for a YETI Hopper 30, but I prefer this form factor and wanted to support a smaller business.
Soft Cooler for Tesla Model X

Harddrive. For Sentry mode. I read that USB drives weren't a good idea due to read/write speeds, and their most likely to fail. This was an option that was universally recommended.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073GZBT36/

Foldable Mattress. For any overnight trips or even just taking a quick nap at a charging station, I love the idea of hoping in the back with all the space back there. I don't know how often it will get used, but with summer coming up and air travel not coming back anytime soon, I foresee a few more camping trips. I nearly went with the Dreamcase, but the price is a little wild for a foldable mattress.
Alwyn Home Niantic 4" Medium Latex Mattress

Bike rack. I'm going from a truck to an SUV, so I know I'm going to miss the ease of throwing bikes in the truck bed. I need a way to travel with bikes and everything I've read, this is the best rack out there.
NSR 4-Bike Rack | North Shore Racks

I'm taking the car in to get the PPF today, so it'll be out of commission for a few days, but most of these things should be arriving in the next week and I'll start testing them out and posting feedback, but any specific questions for items are welcome. Cheers!

Lotsa great stuff, two items I'd add / recommend you look into:

Combo cup holder and organizer tray for under the center console slider door. There are several on Amazon and other sources so I don't have a link. It's great for soda cans and drinks as the ones on the arm rest just get in the way.

The other is wheel bands to minimize wheel curb rashes. They have worked great for me on those times when you're just not paying attention. You may or may not like the, look it'll be a personal choice, or you're a perfect driver:eek:

I also look forward to your reviews. :D I'd be really interested in your cooler, bike rack, and mattress review. Good luck!

Reactions: X-pilot

Combo cup holder and organizer tray for under the center console slider door. There are several on Amazon and other sources so I don't have a link. It's great for soda cans and drinks as the ones on the arm rest just get in the way.

The other is wheel bands to minimize wheel curb rashes. They have worked great for me on those times when you're just not paying attention. You may or may not like the, look it'll be a personal choice, or you're a perfect driver:eek:

I also look forward to your reviews. :D I'd be really interested in your cooler, bike rack, and mattress review. Good luck!

Wheel bands!?! No way!? I wish I would have known about these before my 3 curb bumps!!!!

I don't know why they couldn't allow for a ring on the current key,
huh? what do you mean?
IMG_20200612_203435.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: KentuckyX

I just bought the tray you are referring to. I'll be installing it early next week when my car gets out of service. I bought a wireless charger that will mount into one of the cupholders in the storage unit. I'll post a review and pics at some point next week.

Great accessory choices! I have a six-seat MX, so decided to go with a Dometic powered cooler. Fits perfectly between the two middle seats and has a cord long enough to plug into the 12V socket in the rear. We do a lot of road-trips, so having the cooler stocked with perishables we want for the road, or perishables we want to take to our destination has been a godsend. Rear passengers love it for the easy access to cool drinks, and because it also doubles as an arm rest.
Dometic CFX3 35 - Powered cooler, 36 l

Also have a Saris Freedom EX 2-Bike rack and LOVE that too! Due to the overall 125lb weight restriction for the MX hitch (which includes the rack), it was tough finding a rack light enough yet strong enough to carry a couple of somewhat heavy eBikes. This rack does the trick nicely.
Freedom EX 2-Bike Hitch Rack

IMG_4182.JPG
IMG_4183.JPG
IMG_4184.JPG

You have a nice list of third-party upgrades. I would strongly recommend one more: Model X - Lighting - Abstract Ocean

I'll take a look at these. I've only had the X for a few days and I haven't had a chance to see what the lighting is like, but I've read of a lot of people doing this upgrade. Thanks for the suggestion.

Should have it back from the wrap place tomorrow. It's getting a Xpel Stealth PPF applied and also doing a dechrome with some blue accents on the logo and fins. Here are some photos of the progress so far.

Attachments

• 594a5655-f428-4590-9611-48336b053b29.JPG
    594a5655-f428-4590-9611-48336b053b29.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 3e2d263b-ca18-4a6b-8b12-8785068961ac.JPG
    3e2d263b-ca18-4a6b-8b12-8785068961ac.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: X-pilot

I just bought the tray you are referring to. I'll be installing it early next week when my car gets out of service. I bought a wireless charger that will mount into one of the cupholders in the storage unit. I'll post a review and pics at some point next week.

Love to see which specific one you got and what your thoughts are.

Okay; FINALLY got my MX back after the MCU 2 retrofit. More on that later. Getting the MX back gave me the opportunity to install the Qi wireless charger and cupholder tray. It's an extremely easy install and I've got to tell you, I love it. The pics may not do it justice, but I really like how it works and the versatility it adds to my vehicle. Only $44 for both pieces. May not be for everyone but it fits my needs perfectly. The charger was a nice surprise; seems very well built and very sturdy. Once it's locked into the cupholder, there's no wiggle or shake. I actually used a Taptes Model 3 hub beneath the tray to tie my power cords and SSD drive (for Sentry) into and ran the hub connection cables into a USB splitter that was plugged into a USB extension that plugs in the port next to the 12V outlet. With this setup, I can still use the console charger that came with the MX (for my wife's phone) and use the wireless charger for mine. The Taptes hub is nice for consolidating everything and hiding your SSD, even though it's designed for the Model 3. With a little creativity, you can make it work for the MX. I'm happy to supply more pics or info if you message me. Oh, and yes, you can still fit a cup into the right cupholder in the tray. Here are the links...
Tray: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08611Y4ML/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wireless Charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823584ZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Taptes Hub: TAPTES Model 3 USB Hub, Designed for Tesla Model 3 Dashcam & Sentry Mode
USB splitter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KX4TKH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
USB extension: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XUSKVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0087 copy.jpg

IMG_0088 copy.jpg

Reactions: bhorn
I've had a Model X for 4 years now, and the few accessories I found useful:
  • https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JJXZX1 Middle row holder of toys. I have two small kids, so this doesn't hamper leg room for them, and it is a dumping ground of toys. Easy to reach back while driving to hand it to the kids for them to pick what they want and easy for me to put it back into its spot. Skip the velcro, that failed bad for me, so I've been using it loose for 3 years and it doesn't slide around at all, even with heavy acceleration.
  • Center console tray. #1 best accessory, I'd recommend this to anyone who got a Model X. Tesla should OEM this and just make it part of the car.
  • Tesla Model X - 4 piece Frunk Frunk luggage. High quality and I'm happy with it. My wife likes to pack emergency stuff, and so we have each bag full of things that are useful. And then if we need to do something that uses a lot of space, super easy to remove everything.
  • Rear mat for the trunk. I'm always using things back there, nice to sort of keep it from spilling or scratching everything. There are lots of varieties out there, pick one that fits your seat count.

Ok I've gotten the spaceship back from the wrap shop, they did a GREAT job on it I have to say. It was the first time I've ever gotten anything wrapped and I couldn't be happier with the result. Makes the X look way sportier than before. And it's not just the aesthetic, it will protect the paint for the next decade. So what's been done:

- A full Xpel stealth wrap
- chrome delete
- a dark blue vinyl accent on the front logo and fins.

(Huge thanks to Aegis Paint Shield in Vancouver BC for doing a killer job)

15336702-3DDF-44B2-A9A9-3DEC4CB9AAB2.jpeg
65AC908D-9824-400A-B9FB-C1A8A6952922.jpeg
14EE9331-1F96-4E74-BDFD-40E4B5337F8F.jpeg
43474241-3B17-4B76-B535-43C8B90E97B7.jpeg
962A9700-B38C-4F2A-852E-6FE9F58EC486.jpeg
E223A325-7805-407F-81AA-C815134C94EF.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: DIL