Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X accident in New Jersey, Feb 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
California
Moderator note: The first 11 posts in this thread were moved from a thread describing a different Model X accident in Mountain View, CA, in 2018.

It's almost a year later and it looks like another gore point accident but no one's hurt this time:

‘Confused’ Tesla on autopilot runs off N.J. highway, crashes into signs, driver tells cops

Google Map:

As captured by Google Map that somehow a big long tractor-trailer also fits nicely in that gore point lane waiting at the intersection.

It will be interesting to see how long the following issues will be fixed if ever:

1) Gore Point invasion
2) Collisions

Last edited by a moderator:
It's almost a year later and it looks like another gore point accident but no one's hurt this time:

‘Confused’ Tesla on autopilot runs off N.J. highway, crashes into signs, driver tells cops

I read the article and not sure I completely believe the driver. They said that they tried to take control and the car would not let them. I have overridden the car in lane changes I did not want and had no issues. I guess the logs will tell. Also, hopefully the car had Dashcam installed and operating, and timecodes on the video and data can be synced up

Glad no one was hurt.

Google Map:

As captured by Google Map that somehow a big long tractor-trailer also fits nicely in that gore point lane waiting at the intersection.

It will be interesting to see how long the following issues will be fixed if ever:

1) Gore Point invasion
2) Collisions

Based on location, would this have been a point where Navigate on Autopilot deactivates?

I read the article and not sure I completely believe the driver. They said that they tried to take control and the car would not let them. I have overridden the car in lane changes I did not want and had no issues. I guess the logs will tell. Also, hopefully the car had Dashcam installed and operating, and timecodes on the video and data can be synced up

Glad no one was hurt.

Agree. I’ve driven that road and used autopilot. Driver can always override autopilot. Hard to believe the driver when he says the car won’t let him take control. He most likely did not take control until too late.

Based on location, would this have been a point where Navigate on Autopilot deactivates?

Good point. The posted limit is 55 MPH even though it has traffic lights. Thus, I don't think Navigate on Autopilot could be activated for this stretch of Route 1 highway.

But of course, a driver can activate Autopilot in just about everywhere, not just limited access freeways.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I read the article and not sure I completely believe the driver. They said that they tried to take control and the car would not let them. I have overridden the car in lane changes I did not want and had no issues. I guess the logs will tell.
Yes, and quite likely Tesla accessed the logs before issuing their statement explaining how the driver can always readily override Auto Pilot and take control.

The driver is being untruthful.

Reactions: Sandollars
I have to wonder if Tesla doesn't have an interior facing camera in the 3 because of incidents like this one where the driver tells one story, and the logs tell another story. One of these days I fully expect Tesla to post pictures of a driver sleeping, or not paying attention when an accident occurred.

As I understand it there is no physical way that AP can take over even it was Christine. According to the Electek article "the brakes have an independent bypass circuit that cuts power to the motor no matter what the Autopilot computer requests. And the steering wheel has enough leverage for a person to overpower the electric steering assist at all times."

So sadly no Christine mode.

• Funny
Reactions: Enginerd
This guy is lying, it's that simple. There is no way this happened as he claimed. He should sell the car, we don't need idiots with no personal accountability blaming the AP system so we can all live with less features and more nags.

Old news, but I wonder what will happen once NavOnAP no longer requires lane change confirmations. Would the car just change lanes and try to go around the police car in front that was trying to slow down, and stop, the car?

Seems police cars could do something similar. One police car could blocked the front left and side so the car could not change to left, trapping the car in the right lane. The other car gets in front and slows down. That should work, unless Tesla designed it to pass on the right shoulder.