TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X - Active Spoiler?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Fellsteruk, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Hey,

Jus been reading about this active spoiler, does it come on all models, looks like an extra but not mentioned in design studio?

Thanks

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

Active spoiler was originally supposed to be a feature limited to Performance Model X's, but was also installed on some non-Performance for a short time. It was discontinued and all Model X's have had a fixed spoiler for quite some time.

• Like x 1
  3. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

4. JeffreyY

JeffreyY Member

Yeah, it's a real bummer, I loved the active spoiler. Its odd, I saw a recent video suggesting perhaps it is still included in Europe?

5. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

I test drove a 100D the other week and the guys didn't mention it to me so not sure they are... well in the UK anyway.

6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

I am not sure how functional it is but it is cool to watch in action and another way for me to verify my car is locked when I walk away.

• Like x 1
  7. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

1.6% better efficiency on the highway

8. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

1.6%. Why the hell they get rid of it. Every little helps.

9. JeffreyY

JeffreyY Member

Probably cost savings, but I’d prefer they offer it as an option

10. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

I’d have it just coz it’s cool :)

• Like x 1
  11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

I thought when the Model X was first revealed the active spoiler was supposed to be an option. Then when they had the kickoff with the founders cars it suddenly was for performance cars only. I was disappointed since I wanted the active spoiler but not the other aspects of the performance model. Then when we picked up our car (VIN 1526) we found it came with the active spoiler and we were thrilled. It was rumored that they had not finished the design for the fixed spoiler and all the early cars got an active spoiler, performance or not.

I still have the pdf of my first pass at the configurator and the active spoiler is included in the Performance Options.

A few days later I removed the performance option and the active spoiler is nowhere to be found on that version of the order.

• Informative x 1
  12. JeffreyY

JeffreyY Member

I wish they would bring it back

13. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

What I was told from someone in a position to know...

The early failure rate, particularly for those in snow areas, was high. Replacing it took a few hours of labor, and the “fins“ were prone to being scratched in the process. I think Tesla decided to punt and spend their time elsewhere.

• Informative x 2
  14. trmmcd

trmmcd Member

I have it on my nonP X - one of the early ones. The snow is a bit of an issue but I am careful to clear out underneath when clearing the window.

I think they got rid of it for another reason though. The car doesn’t look so great when it is parked and the spoiler is down. It almost looks like a bloated Prius. With the spoiler up it looks much better.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. JeffreyY

JeffreyY Member

That is funny. I did notice that too, but on the other hand, they could just tell the sw to leave it up.

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I remember that it had to do with the 3rd center brake light height requirement was not sufficient in the retracted position.

• Informative x 1
  17. timf

timf Member

The active spoiler handles snow just fine. The only issue is on days when the temperature drops below freezing after having rain or wet snow. I've only noticed one occasion where it was completely frozen shut, but it does make disturbing cracking noises as it tries to break free from the ice.

18. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

It's my guess that they discontinued the spoiler due to failures and the design made replacing it very difficult. I had to get mine replaced and they had to take it to a body shop for some of the work. It's my understanding that first the rear hatch glass has to be removed and then the spoiler has to be destructively cut in half (to re-use the electronics) for it to be removed/replaced. Not an easy job.

I too hope they bring it back with a better, more maintainable design.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. SilverUnicorn

SilverUnicorn Supporting Member

I have a 2016 90D VIN 47xx and have the active spoiler. Lucky one. No issues but I garage my X. I love it. I can't believe they dropped it from all X's. Another reason I'm happy I own my X.

@vandacca was there a cost associated with the repair or was it under warranty?

20. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Mine was replaced under warranty. I have to imagine it was a pricey fix for Tesla, since it wasn't all handled in house. As a TSLA owner, I can appreciate why they dropped it.