Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Active Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a moronic way to design the install. I figured it would be screwed into the hatchback. I blame the engineers for how they installed it. A # of high end cars have active spoilers.

@vandacca How did it fail?
My spoiler did not fail. It became loose on the passenger side and made a grinding sound every time it moved. Also, the paint was rubbed off that one side. I could pop the spoiler back into place, but it would immediately pop out again once lowered.

I think Tesla wanted to design the spoiler to look seamless when retracted and have an all-glass hatch when extended. I really like the look of their design, but it made maintenance a pain. Just part of the learning process. When designing stuff, most people never think it's going to fail and make contingency plans.

One of the reasons I like my 2016 X.
Besides confirmation that the car is locked when walking away from the rear, I find the retracted look clean. Gives it that clean look like Porsche’s retractable spoiler.
I, personally, don’t like the fixed look, especially on a stock 60 or 75 trim. Reminds me back in high school when kids would put a tall spoiler on their Honda Civic. What’s the point? Tesla should just have done a trunk lid spoiler like on the Model S. That I find very tastefully done.

Other than the obvious rising when the car is unlocked, it adjusts a bit depending on the speed the car is traveling. Under 40 mph it is fully extended. Over 40 it retracts a bit presumably to be more aero dynamic. When if first came out, it didn’t retract when the trunk was opened which resulted in the profile of the trunk being 4 inches higher. This didn’t work too well in most garage situations, so they changed it to retract when the trunk is opened. That resulted in pinched fingers. Needless to say, it probably had limited aero dynamic benefit above the fixed spoiler but a lot more complexity overall. Lastly, I personally think the car looks better with the spoiler extended rather than fully retracted.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
Agree it kinda looks odd with it closed, the profile of the car in my opinion looks nicer with it up.

I’ve also had trapped ginger when opening the boot but only the once, learnt that lesson FAST :)

Given the value and Rick it could break I’m not too fussed my own MX has a fixed one

I agree with most that the spoiler looks better in the extended position. And even if I had the active one, I would probably always leave it extended. But it’s in knowing that it doesn’t retract that somehow ruins it for me

Question now is - are there aftermarket outfits that retrofit active -and hopefully improved - spoilers into the newer models?

I agree with most that the spoiler looks better in the extended position. And even if I had the active one, I would probably always leave it extended. But it’s in knowing that it doesn’t retract that somehow ruins it for me

Question now is - are there aftermarket outfits that retrofit active -and hopefully improved - spoilers into the newer models?

I would love that too

I loved mine on my 2017 (leased) P100D. Unfortunately it never worked quite right. It was supposed to have 3 levels based on speed. Only ever opened to mid level no matter what speed and developed a grinding noise after a year. Went to service center many, many times and had service come to me. They replaced it once, reset (major) it over and over. It would work for a short while and then revert back to problems.
But it was really cool, kind of like the one on the Porsche.

I am planning to trade in my Model X 90D which has a properly functioning active spoiler. It is also covered by an extended warranty for another 35K miles or 30 months. Anyone who really needs one should let me know. I am in the camp that it looks better extended, but I do have to admit that I peek in the rear view mirror when I go over 45mph and I see the spoiler glide down a bit. It also still surprises people when I open the trunk and it goes down as the trunk goes up. I am making the move to a Model Y which is more the size of car that I actually need.

Reactions: Justinm1700