Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Active Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought when the Model X was first revealed the active spoiler was supposed to be an option. Then when they had the kickoff with the founders cars it suddenly was for performance cars only. I was disappointed since I wanted the active spoiler but not the other aspects of the performance model. Then when we picked up our car (VIN 1526) we found it came with the active spoiler and we were thrilled. It was rumored that they had not finished the design for the fixed spoiler and all the early cars got an active spoiler, performance or not.

I still have the pdf of my first pass at the configurator and the active spoiler is included in the Performance Options.

A few days later I removed the performance option and the active spoiler is nowhere to be found on that version of the order.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
What I was told from someone in a position to know...

The early failure rate, particularly for those in snow areas, was high. Replacing it took a few hours of labor, and the “fins“ were prone to being scratched in the process. I think Tesla decided to punt and spend their time elsewhere.

I have it on my nonP X - one of the early ones. The snow is a bit of an issue but I am careful to clear out underneath when clearing the window.

I think they got rid of it for another reason though. The car doesn’t look so great when it is parked and the spoiler is down. It almost looks like a bloated Prius. With the spoiler up it looks much better.

I have it on my nonP X - one of the early ones. The snow is a bit of an issue but I am careful to clear out underneath when clearing the window.

I think they got rid of it for another reason though. The car doesn’t look so great when it is parked and the spoiler is down. It almost looks like a bloated Prius. With the spoiler up it looks much better.

That is funny. I did notice that too, but on the other hand, they could just tell the sw to leave it up.

The active spoiler handles snow just fine. The only issue is on days when the temperature drops below freezing after having rain or wet snow. I've only noticed one occasion where it was completely frozen shut, but it does make disturbing cracking noises as it tries to break free from the ice.

It's my guess that they discontinued the spoiler due to failures and the design made replacing it very difficult. I had to get mine replaced and they had to take it to a body shop for some of the work. It's my understanding that first the rear hatch glass has to be removed and then the spoiler has to be destructively cut in half (to re-use the electronics) for it to be removed/replaced. Not an easy job.

I too hope they bring it back with a better, more maintainable design.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and McManX
I have a 2016 90D VIN 47xx and have the active spoiler. Lucky one. No issues but I garage my X. I love it. I can't believe they dropped it from all X's. Another reason I'm happy I own my X.

@vandacca was there a cost associated with the repair or was it under warranty?
Mine was replaced under warranty. I have to imagine it was a pricey fix for Tesla, since it wasn't all handled in house. As a TSLA owner, I can appreciate why they dropped it.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC