TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Advanced Engineering on Plan - Tesla Q3 Update 2011

Discussion in 'Model X' started by NigelM, Nov 2, 2011.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Shareholder Letter news on the Model X:

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm still confused on this "exclusive showing"? Some investors? Press? Model S/Roadster owners?

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

People with at least 1,300 posts in TMC? :biggrin:

4. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

How is this confusing ? Another reveal at the factory with press on Friday and S and Roadster owners invited over the weekend.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

You know what they say when you assume. Tesla hasn't given any real specifics yet.

6. Kevin Harney

Well it has to be "exclusive" yet it still has to be "public" in nature. so there are not a whole lot of option for that to happen ....

7. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Kevin,

Well, the event can be exclusive and public without inviting Roadster owners and reservation holders.

Larry

8. Kevin Harney

True but why in the world would you not want to invite them. Makes them feel special and also makes the event look much more popular to the public. Why not capitalize on the GREAT success of the last one ? Just makes plain sense. But you are correct I am assuming they would repeat a sucessful event.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I can think of several reasons, and someone else can probably think of more (or argue the opposite!). In no particular order:

1. Cost. In monetary terms and in time and effort.
    2. This will be an unveiling of a Model X prototype. Not an Alpha or a Beta.
    3. No rides. No reservations. No real specs.
    4. Too soon after the last one.
    5. Keep the focus on Model S development.
    6. Financial markets don't like too much hype. Show some results and concrete development steps first.
    7. Model X deliveries in late 2013. Produce some Model S, get great applause, and then hold a Model X event in late 2012 or early 2013.

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

The Model S beta reveal wasn't advertised as "exclusive". They're a public company so I can't see them doing what Fisker did what the Nina, so the "confusion" is me trying to figure out what they can do that wouldn't run afoul of the SEC.

If press comes, then it's hardly exclusive, unless they just mean BEING at the event is exclusive, in which case the world will see it, the event is still "exclusive" and SEC (and us here) are happy.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Agreed, and lends credence to the idea OS a small, intimate thing, from which details (namely pictures) will be made public.

12. Robert.Boston

You guys drank up too much of Elon's booze and scarfed up too much of his food -- it'll be a while before he throws another party for 3,000!:rolleyes:

13. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

I would expect the Model X unveiling to be very similar to the Model S unveiling several years ago. You got to see a prototype that could move under its own power but the interior was basically unfinished. I don't remember the guest list for that event but it was mostly the press, venture capital investors in Tesla and friends of Elon (if my memory serves).

I think I heard or read that there will be Model X alphas in the first half of 2012.

I would not expect a Beta Event before Model S is fully ramped up with production - if at all.

Tesla is now a public company so they will have to share the Model X with the public at the same time they unveil it to a small group.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I suspect the Model X prototype will be a lot more "real", in that it will be built on a Model S chassis.

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

A 4 wheel drive opition would make the front weigh a lot more.

16. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

Wouldn't it make it closer to 50/50? Motor up front, motor in back, battery in between?

17. Robert.Boston

But they're already claiming a 50/50 weight distribution....

18. SByer

SByer '08 #383

With what the battery weighs, not much shift needed to fix that. And if you slightly elongate the wheelbase, and stick that all up front...

19. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

It is essentially the cabin interior/exterior that will change. From a theoretical perspective, Model S owners should one day be able to swap out the sedan for an “X” cabin. The battery, wheels and frame would be the same.

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Not if you want the 4WD option.