Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x all door button stopped working!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, so on my model x all a sudden only driver door button works from the outside. All the other door button has no response. So I did a reboot same thing but then I did a factory reset all the buttons work again!!! But after another day it stopped working?! So seems a software issue?! Kindly advise!

Awesome. Works now! The wording in this feature is so misleading…….
C8AC4B18-C5CE-43C1-94BC-57F3ADFDA2A8.jpeg

Hi Kenysl- it’s a setting under locks section on the screen.

Turn off "Drive Door Unlock Mode" and it will start working.
I don't like being out smarted by a lump of metal! Drive door unlock was not turned on but approach unlock would not stay on and I'd have to double click the fob TWICE to get in. Go to Safety. After turning the car on, turn on passive door mode. I'm back to normal. When I walk up to the car all doors unlock and the approach unlock mode is staying on.

Hi all, so on my model x all a sudden only driver door button works from the outside. All the other door button has no response. So I did a reboot same thing but then I did a factory reset all the buttons work again!!! But after another day it stopped working?! So seems a software issue?! Kindly advise!
I just discovered a button on the Safety page. Passive door lock. My door unlocking issues are solved. This seems to have been turned off by Tesla after service work so they could lock my fob in the car. Wish they could have told me!

I don't like being out smarted by a lump of metal! Drive door unlock was not turned on but approach unlock would not stay on and I'd have to double click the fob TWICE to get in. Go to Safety. After turning the car on, turn on passive door mode. I'm back to normal. When I walk up to the car all doors unlock and the approach unlock mode is staying on.
OK. The lump of metal may have the upper hand. Today it didn't work. The lights flash as I approach the car as normal, but the doors stay locked. Now when I double click the fob it unlocks but the driver door pops open!
Any thoughts? I want it to unlock as I approach so I can open the door myself

OK. The lump of metal may have the upper hand. Today it didn't work. The lights flash as I approach the car as normal, but the doors stay locked. Now when I double click the fob it unlocks but the driver door pops open!
Any thoughts? I want it to unlock as I approach so I can open the door myself
If you don't want the door to open automatically, but you do want it to unlock:

Passive entry is the correct setting to enable for automatic unlocking, caveat: if you have an older model with a repeatable fob (vs card keys plus an accessory bluetooth fob or phone key), passive entry allows a team with the correct equipment to drive off with your vehicle by having someone near you capturing he foob signal and someone at the vehicle rebroadcasting it. You can use the PIN to drive feature to counter this attack method.

Automatic doors should be disabled if you don't want them to open when you haven't pressed the door button, caveat: it's all or nothing, once automatic doors is disabled, double-clicking the fob will not open the doors, either.

If what you are seeing doesn't match up with these descriptions and also isn't consistent, the inconsistent unlock behavior you describe could indicate it's time for a new fob battery, but I've had bad luck changing those myself.

Personally, I turn passive entry off and leave automatic doors on, this allows me to open them with the fob but not have the driver door open based on presence of the fob because my X is always locked until I unlock it.

If you don't want the door to open automatically, but you do want it to unlock:

Passive entry is the correct setting to enable for automatic unlocking, caveat: if you have an older model with a repeatable fob (vs card keys plus an accessory bluetooth fob or phone key), passive entry allows a team with the correct equipment to drive off with your vehicle by having someone near you capturing he foob signal and someone at the vehicle rebroadcasting it. You can use the PIN to drive feature to counter this attack method.

Automatic doors should be disabled if you don't want them to open when you haven't pressed the door button, caveat: it's all or nothing, once automatic doors is disabled, double-clicking the fob will not open the doors, either.

If what you are seeing doesn't match up with these descriptions and also isn't consistent, the inconsistent unlock behavior you describe could indicate it's time for a new fob battery, but I've had bad luck changing those myself.

Personally, I turn passive entry off and leave automatic doors on, this allows me to open them with the fob but not have the driver door open based on presence of the fob because my X is always locked until I unlock it.
Thank you for answering!
"Repeatable fob" meaning a fob that sends out a signal? My X is January 2017 build of a 2016. I have the "car" fob with a new battery.
So the way it was set up when I got it, it could have been stolen with someone copying the code? Good to know.
I do like the convenience of walking up to it and pushing any handle. So I should add a code to start?

Thank you for answering!
"Repeatable fob" meaning a fob that sends out a signal? My X is January 2017 build of a 2016. I have the "car" fob with a new battery.
So the way it was set up when I got it, it could have been stolen with someone copying the code? Good to know.
I do like the convenience of walking up to it and pushing any handle. So I should add a code to start?
"Repeatable fob" isn't the corrct technical term, but yes, the constant signal from your fob can be relayed, so if you want to have passive entry enabled, PIN to drive could help prevent theft if you were targeted in that way. Note that "targeted" doesn't necessarily imply specificity in this case (though it could if you park outside); I imagine this type of theft is usually a crime of opportunity (with your vehicle and fob in the same general location as an opportunist with relevant equipment). Regardless, it has been an attack vector on vehicles with which allow you to drive with fob in pocket for a long time. To give you an idea of how long, I had a 2006 vehicle with this feature, and I imagine others existed in model years prior to that.