Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Aluminum Corrosion & Pitting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this kind of corrosion and pitting?
I first found this on the driver's door of a May 2016 built X.
After consulting others on FB, I found more corrosion under the spoiler on the passenger's side.
Question:
I would appreciate hearing about other's related issues, when they occurred, and how Tesla dealt with it.
TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_20200421_154644.jpg
    IMG_20200421_154644.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 973
  • Spoiler Corrosion.jpg
    Spoiler Corrosion.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 818
Have it on the spoiler. Mine is out of warranty, so i am looking to find a replacement or manual to have it fixed

FYI, a recent thread on the FB Model X owners group found several more people who have reported this. I encouraged them to add their info here as well.
It looks like Tesla has been inconsistent in addressing it.
At the very least, please consider reporting to NHTSA:
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Also, you may have luck with Tesla by being persistent and showing that other vehicles have had similar issues and been repaired at Tesla's cost.

Isn't there a separate longer term corrosion warranty at least in the US due to national mandate? I mean, unless they didn't have to provide that warranty because "it's aluminum" or it doesn't "count" because "it's not rust," I'd expect corrosion to be covered under that warranty.

I just found the same thing on my spoiler last night and made an appointment for Monday. Came here to see if it's common. Mine is also a 2016 X. I had 20 miles remaining when I made the appointment so still under warranty......but not once I get there. Hopefully, it goes by when the appointment was made.

Attachments

• IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 691
I just found the same thing on my spoiler last night and made an appointment for Monday. Came here to see if it's common. Mine is also a 2016 X. I had 20 miles remaining when I made the appointment so still under warranty......but not once I get there. Hopefully, it goes by when the appointment was made.
How did this work out for you?
If repaired by Tesla, when and where?
Could you share your VIN or something they could look you up by?
I'm now getting pushback about the spoiler.
Thanks in advance!

How did this work out for you?
If repaired by Tesla, when and where?
Could you share your VIN or something they could look you up by?
I'm now getting pushback about the spoiler.
Thanks in advance!
Found out today that my 2017 Model X has severe corrosion on the bottom side of the rear spoiler.

Will contact Tesla, but am wondering how this worked out for others. Would think that this is a warranty case for a 3 year old car. Is it?

Attachments

• IMG_20210226_153032.jpg
    IMG_20210226_153032.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 597
Found out today that my 2017 Model X has severe corrosion on the bottom side of the rear spoiler.

Will contact Tesla, but am wondering how this worked out for others. Would think that this is a warranty case for a 3 year old car. Is it?
I should add that my mileage is over 50.000 miles, so the warranty is over.

Yet, a 3 or 4 year old car should not have corrosion like this. How does Tesla handle these out of warranty cases on young cars?

i reported this on my used model x, the service center it was due to a wrap on the car... made me kinda upset... the car is wrapped now, but it hasnt ruined any functionality for me. i just hate knowing its there.

i reported this on my used model x, the service center it was due to a wrap on the car... made me kinda upset... the car is wrapped now, but it hasnt ruined any functionality for me. i just hate knowing its there.
While it has indeed not ruined the functionality of the rear spolier, it seems a matter of time and that thing will actually fall apart. The corrosion at the bottom side is all over the place, and the spoiler is starting to show corroded spots on the easily visible side-parts too.

I actually think many Model X owners are not aware of the corrosion, as you have to look under the rear spoiler.
So, anyone who's reading this, and your Model X is over 2 years old, you may as well check it out. Please don't be mad at me if that will ruin your day. It did mine....

I checked under the spoiler of my Sept 2017 model X and really only found water spots. I felt carefully over the entire surface and it is very smooth, with the exception of a slight rough edge of the brake light assembly. I will have to check it further under better lighting. Looking for little things to be sure to address before the warranty is done in 8000 miles or 6 months.

With this type of thing it always leads me to wonder who ends up with the issue and who doesn’t and why.

Rehydrating this thread - discovered bubbling of paint under the spoiler and tiny bit to left of brake light on my 2017 MX. Have 100,000 km so well out of warranty but pissed off this is happening. Are there any quick fixes or does this need a body/paint shop to remove spoiler and repaint it. Mine has been wrapped in matte black vinyl (on top of spoiler) but under side wasn’t wrapped.. tempted to just wrap it before paint chips off. Although cars original paint is the dark grey metallic this part appears to be pained black? Are they all black underneath irrespective of body color?

I too had spoiler underbelly corroded on my 2017 X, fixed under warranty in June 2020
View attachment 642339
@ABC2D, what does your new spoiler underbelly look like now, after 16 months?

I'm wondering if the replaced part is just as vulnerable to corrosion as the old part.

Also wondering if high pressure car wash sprayers are to blame?
Any one here with a 2016-2017 Model X that does not show spoiler corrosion and only handwash the car?
Thanks.

@ABC2D, what does your new spoiler underbelly look like now, after 16 months?

I'm wondering if the replaced part is just as vulnerable to corrosion as the old part.

Also wondering if high pressure car wash sprayers are to blame?
Any one here with a 2016-2017 Model X that does not show spoiler corrosion and only handwash the car?
Thanks.
Just examined - all good, no corrosion. I dont think high pressure sprayers have anything to do with the spoiler underbelly corrosion as I've never, not even once, took my car to car wash or used high pressure sprayers but still got that corrosion on the first spoiler. Here are pics from today:
1636465498414.png

1636465464498.png

Just examined - all good, no corrosion. I dont think high pressure sprayers have anything to do with the spoiler underbelly corrosion as I've never, not even once, took my car to car wash or used high pressure sprayers but still got that corrosion on the first spoiler. Here are pics from today:
Thank you, that is very helpful information.