Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and Kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a children's Dramamine .. Girls have stronger stomachs and don't need it ;)
sounds like a contest. Tail of the dragon anyone?
tail.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
I can add some helpful feedback since we've owned a Chevy Suburban (Same interior as Tahoe), Honda Odyssey (new version), and finally since Dec last year the 6-seat Model X.

The minivan on paper looks like it should be a parent's dream - the big sliding doors, huge cargo space, entertainment options galore! However, you have to crawl all the way into the van in order to buckle kids into carseats. We still found ourselves struggling to actually make use of the third row since it was so narrow back there. We felt unsafe at times in the winter in the minivan even when it was just rain. It drove so terribly my wife said "If we almost get rear ended one more time because of the tires slipping at a stoplight we're getting the X!" <---She likes to drive fast.

The Chevy was a dream when it came to hauling people and things and crap. We would never ask ourselves "should we take this?" We just threw it in the back. The thing that killed the dream for us was parking it in the school parking lot. There was never a space that could fit the giant thing. Getting the kids in and out was an exhausting exercise in climbing up, climbing down, helping kid climb down. Then for loading, reverse that process. The gas mileage was so bad too. We averaged around 12-13 mpg around town. Our friends who still have Tahoes, Yukons, etc are spending almost $400/mo in gas. That plus their payments and they could be comfortably in an X.

I can only really echo everyone else's thoughts on the X, especially the 6-seater. The kids can load themselves in so easily, they know how to press the button on the 2nd row seat to slide it forward "easy entry". I can buckle both of the older kids in the 3rd row without even having to bend over. I can buckle our 1yr old in a rear-facing seat in the 2nd row without even having to lean forward or down at all. It's unbelievable to see how many families with 3 or 4 kids are toting around in the X now. Since money is out of the equation it's a no brainer.

Re: cold weather, we drive up to Lake Tahoe a lot and expect to go down from about 260 miles of usable range to closer to 200 with the heater running. ALWAYS pre-heat the car when it's plugged in to save some trouble.

It seems to me that with 2 kids, 7 seater is a good option (2 in 2nd row) with 3 or more 6 seater is the best because the middle row can get cramped and fhe 3rd row can get a bit isolated back there on the 7 seat version. I cant talk to anyone in the 3rd row they cant really hear me well with cabin noise. You do get the extra storage though with 7 which is nice.

My kids dont get ipads nor dvds in the car. We either talk, play with physical toys or books, or listen to songs on the radio. On our last canadian rockies road trip i made them look out the damn window.

4482E2B0-C0CD-49BD-B8E4-1E26065FE09C.jpeg
401199A4-8A60-4918-A61A-C03088A6300C.jpeg
AndreyATC - so I assume in the 3rd row the car seat is the larger one with arms? So with that one the is enough leg room for their feet?
Oh yeah, plenty
Just have to make sure 2-nd row is properly adjusted between front and rear seats
Kids feet are pretty small, so you just need 8 inch of space down there
Though as they get older their feet are on the floor, which could rest easily under the seat in front

P.S. Back carseats are Diono. Front is recaro convertable and infant rear facing from Orbit baby

Last edited:
Lhshokey24 - Really appreciate your comments. By the way I'm Patrick's father just using his account right for this thread. I totally agree with the Tahoe pretty fearless in WI but my son in law has a Pacifica van and he says its awful in the snow. I'm 63 years old and have avoided the dreaded van for all these years and don't really want to start now so I worry about a van for my wife who does 95% of the driving with the grandkids. She loves the van and I guess I can't argue compared to the Tahoe its so much better with car seats. Also yes looking at the 6 seats only. My older two grandsons that are 5 and 6 still are in the carseats with the arm rests which are bigger. I know that can probably just do a booster but their parents just think that if they still fit - which they do - they are safer in the carseat.

I tried at a dealer a 7 passenger Tahoe the larger arm rest child seat in the third row and the issue was there is a 9" gap between the edge of the3rd row seat and the back of the 2nd row but this issue is once I put the car seat in with arm rests the base overhangs the 3rd row cushion so the 9" gap is reduced so much that although my grandson can put his leg over in the gap his feet have to turn almost sideways which will not work. As you know the 2nd row in the Tahoe does not adjust its fixed so that is a big issue. I know in the X it does so I think that should help

Last edited:
Reactions: Darmie
Commasign - So I'm Patrick's father as posted above. I appreciate the pictures but if you read above I have the next car seat up in size to contend with. The 6 year old is a little small for his age so both the 5 and 6 year old are in these seats. If you could take a picture more in the 3rd row so I can see the gap between the edge of the car seat and the back of the second row that would be helpful. Also a measurement. So for all this but I'm 2 1/2 hrs from the closest dealer.

7yo in a booster (Cosco)
A7B6C906-9E67-405D-8BBE-23D7F00A821F.jpeg

3yo in a car seat (Diono Radian RXT)
2483A593-67C5-495F-ADAB-64299F3DF512.jpeg

The 3rd row legroom isn’t cavernous, but it’s fine for kids. I measure about 7” at its narrowest. Larger kids have more room to put their foot under the seat or off to the side.

E57069E8-2DD0-4998-BDD3-09C60DA06755.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VikH and IdaX
My five kids are aged 7 to 14 with only one is in a booster seat now. We have the old version 7 seater X. I wish I had the X as an option when they were all in car seats! Five kids all in car seats was a nightmare! The falcon wing doors make it easy to get in and out, and the kids can easily get themselves out of the back seat by pushing the button on the middle row seat.

No entertainment system is no problem. We had a DVD in our extended navigator, and it was a huge hassle! The fighting over what to watch... I had eventually told them that they would only get a movie if we were going on a long distance trip. Now, we give them our old iPads, usually for the rear seat passengers as an incentive to get them to voluntarily sit in the back, open a hotspot from our phones, and off we go!

As far as room, I can haul much more now than I did in my extended Navigator, even with all of the seats occupied. It is amazing how much stuff you can actually fit in the car. If you need a lot of room, you can remove the divider in the back storage well and just keep stuffing things in there. As deep as it is, I don't think you will have any problems fitting even a large stroller in it. In the summer, it is common for me to carry five sets of kids golf clubs (all will fit in the frunk), tennis gear for five kids and myself, pool items (goggles, sunscreen, toys, around 7-10 towels), and a few other things.

It really is an amazing car inside and out. Plus, you are getting a car not dependent on oil. You will be doing a small part to make the world a better place for your grandkids by not supporting the burning of fossil fuels! Win-win!

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and IdaX