Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and Model Y Width compared

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per this article in Teslarati, Model Y's width would be quite comparable to Model X. But only if the SUV under the covers is actually a Model Y. Just sharing here to see what people think. Are they really close or is the camera playing tricks on our eyes.

Tesla Model Y looks surprisingly close to Model X size in California sighting

The only reason I may pass on MY would be if it is as narrow in the back as the M3. You cannot seat 3 people comfortably in the back. I have ridden multiple times in an M3 but sitting in the back with two other adults gets difficult because the seat is not wide enough.

Last edited:
Isn’t it on the same platform as the 3? I would expect it to be the exact same width and length as the 3, it’s just obviously taller.
Well, that's what I had thought until I saw this post. If what they are saying in this post is true, then looks like MY would be slightly wider than M3. That is why I posted this here so that if anyone has sighted MY in person and if they could comment on its width, then that would be great.

Well, that's what I had thought until I saw this post. If what they are saying in this post is true, then looks like MY would be slightly wider than M3. That is why I posted this here so that if anyone has sighted MY in person and if they could comment on its width, then that would be great.
There was another post with a model Y online that showed the third row two seats and they looked pretty small. Also, pictures from a model Y parked / driving by a model 3 and didn't look to much wider. Below is one link but there are others.

How Big Is The Tesla Model Y?

Edit: Added this link (go to 4:50 mark of video to see a MY driving by a M3):

Last edited:
Reactions: blitzpa
As per this article in Teslarati, Model Y's width would be quite comparable to Model X. But only if the SUV under the covers is actually a Model Y. Just sharing here to see what people think. Are they really close or is the camera playing tricks on our eyes.

Tesla Model Y looks surprisingly close to Model X size in California sighting

The only reason I may pass on MY would be if it is as narrow in the back as the M3. You cannot seat 3 people comfortably in the back. I have ridden multiple times in an M3 but sitting in the back with two other adults gets difficult because the seat is not wide enough.

the width is my concern as well. I will be looking for a replacement of my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee within the next few years and was hoping that the model Y would be my replacement. However, I love the size of my Jeep and don’t want to go much smaller. Being only 73” wide seems like if would feel cramped in the back seat.