TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X (and NOT the S) sold out 2015

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Racerx22b, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

There is a USA Today article this morning quoting Elon Musk as saying they are sold out for 2015. You can order a Model S today for late March delivery so I don't understand this statement. Why would he make this claim?

I can't find an online link to the article but it was in their paper version this morning.

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The Model X is sold out for this year, even assuming they hit the summer 2015 release promise - that's probably what they misquoted.Walter

3. Adm

Adm Active Member

That's your reliable press, but in their defence I've seen it in other media as well. Copy past did the rest.

Model X is sold out for 2015.

4. BerTX

BerTX Member

If they are supply limited on batteries, and they plan to make 30,000 Model X's, then at some point they are sold out for the year on everything, because they can't build any more.

I do think it is a misquote, though.

5. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

I see my thread title was updated. In fairness, the article didn't specify what model was sold out. One would think he was referencing a model that is actually in production and not a model with a hypothetical delivery date.

6. Svenssons

Svenssons Member

Yes, Elon Musk said they were sold out for 2015 regarding Model X. Tesla _could_ make Model S sold out for 2015 instead by only focus and produce Model X after it is released but that would not be a wise or economical correct move. Then Model X is release, Tesla will probably have +20k reservations that will change to orders and that is more than is possible for half a year on a new model.

7. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

8. trialcritic

trialcritic Member

As of November 2014, the website said that new reservations will be satisfied by beginning of 2016. By December, the website said that it will be "well into 2016". Forget 2015.