Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and S Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would drive me to upgrade? If they totally changed direction on cameras / sensors etc that prevented me from getting newer autonomy features.

Yup. I was about four months too early in ordering, so my delivery missed AP2 by a couple months. Thus, I'm seriously considering it (and there are a bunch of other nice to have things, but without the lure of AP3 I likely wouldn't be contemplating the upgrade anytime soon.)

At the time of ordering, the hidden features (complete wiring for a second camera, space in central camera box, patents,) left me convinced Tesla did have an upgrade path planned for AP1 cars - which might have actually happened if the Mobileye agreement hadn't fallen apart.

It’s a non stop rollercoaster of spec and pricing changes. I bought last August and have been through product retirements (75D) along with pricing reductions for 100D, PUP included as standard - and pricing reductions, even further pricing reductions for 100D, EAP and FSD fire sale pricing reduction... and so on...

Bottom line - whoever buys today and is overjoyed at getting in on the latest updates and pricing is going to be upset and feel screwed over in a few months as Tesla announce more updates and pricing adjustments. When Tesla do the interior refresh and new battery packs people who order today aren’t going to be happy.

The rate of change on these cars is very rapid. If you buy one you just have to be happy with what you have or else you are going to be trading in every few months - which I am sure would make Tesla happy. My 75D does everything I need it to in terms of semi autonomous driving options and tech, and can do everything the latest models can - the new motors / faster charging etc would be nice but aren’t a necessity. What would drive me to upgrade? If they totally changed direction on cameras / sensors etc that prevented me from getting newer autonomy features.

Given the pace of change, leasing makes more and more sense

Reactions: holaev19
Given the pace of change, leasing makes more and more sense
I normally don’t like leasing, but with a Tesla I have to 100% agree with you. At the end of 3 years you are left with a lot of obsolete tech.

This isn’t so critical with normal car manufacturers but as the Tesla is really defined by its software / hardware and technical capabilities you can quickly lose the ability to get features that directly affects the way the car drives.

Reactions: holaev19
It’s a non stop rollercoaster of spec and pricing changes. I bought last August and have been through product retirements (75D) along with pricing reductions for 100D, PUP included as standard - and pricing reductions, even further pricing reductions for 100D, EAP and FSD fire sale pricing reduction... and so on...

Recently I have been tracking the changes with a spreadsheet. It is amazing how much changes were made to the Tesla lineup since the end of 2018. Hopefully things will settle down a bit (at least till 3Q =).

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: JMG and holaev19
Recently I have been tracking the changes with a spreadsheet. It is amazing how much changes were made to the Tesla lineup since the end of 2018. Hopefully things will settle down a bit (at least till 3Q =).

386153-8640e04d67c6cec7dc6c28e8083c0153.jpg

Ordered before Tesla announced this new build, but still being scheduled for production. Will it be produced with these updates?
I would guess yes, you will get new hardware.

When it goes to build, go to your account, go to manage order and right click the link "view spec".

Select copy link text. Paste that in notepad or similar. You should see a load of 4 digit option codes.

The option codes you are looking for I believe are DU03 and SU03.

The current hardware is SU01 and DU01.

• Informative
Reactions: derkan
Has anyone seen any clarification for charge rates for current 100D's built prior to today? The Motor Trend article mentions that charge rates will be increased via OTA, but the Tesla post does not. Since it is the same battery chemistry, can a 100D built late last year handle the higher V2 and 200Kw V3 rates? Or is it a hardware change in the newer S/X to allow for it?

I don’t think the battery chemistry is that important. I think this is more like an inverter design changes. Also, if they can move up to higher volatge on the pack they can increase significantly the charge rate. They have more options before changing to the new cells. IMHO they have limitations not on the cell and chemistry level but on the pack design itself which limit them push it safely to such a high amperage. I am not sure that the current pack designs provides them enough cooling capabilities on the current nominal 400V level and some of the conductors can be limitation also. I2R is a b$&@#. Get you every time.

I normally don’t like leasing, but with a Tesla I have to 100% agree with you. At the end of 3 years you are left with a lot of obsolete tech.

This isn’t so critical with normal car manufacturers but as the Tesla is really defined by its software / hardware and technical capabilities you can quickly lose the ability to get features that directly affects the way the car drives.

I have to say one thing: “first world problem”. On the other hand the issue is setting expectations IN YOUR MIND. I have a 2013MS and currently I am missing all those nice things you might have. Do I care? Does it change my life? In our M3 I appreciate the cool autpilot features but I can live without it. We are so much spoiled that most of us forget how awful is driving an ICE car and the whole experience comes with it. Sometimes, just take a step back. If you happy what you have bought, enjoy. Don’t look back. You haven’t bought it to sell it tomorrow. You bought it to use it for many years. Enjoy then and don’t screw up your mind wit these bad thoughts. Peace.

I have to say one thing: “first world problem”. On the other hand the issue is setting expectations IN YOUR MIND. I have a 2013MS and currently I am missing all those nice things you might have. Do I care? Does it change my life? In our M3 I appreciate the cool autpilot features but I can live without it. We are so much spoiled that most of us forget how awful is driving an ICE car and the whole experience comes with it. Sometimes, just take a step back. If you happy what you have bought, enjoy. Don’t look back. You haven’t bought it to sell it tomorrow. You bought it to use it for many years. Enjoy then and don’t screw up your mind wit these bad thoughts. Peace.
I think you must have misunderstood me. I am happy with what I have and have no intention of changing. If you read my prior post on this thread that will be clear to you. I was merely stating that owning a Tesla is a different proposition. They are defined by different qualities to traditional cars - the autonomous and tech features - and to some that might be a problem.

And I wouldn’t call driving an ICE car awful, no need to be overly dramatic - they still do certain things very well that current EV’s can’t.

This upgrade is tempting, but not quite enough for me to pull the trigger just yet. I have a Signature P85 2012 Model S, and would consider upgrading to Model X P100DL. New AP hardware, 265mi -> 305mi range, 4.2s -> 2.7s 0-60, what's not to like?

On the other hand, waiting another cycle (6-12 months) would get me the improved 2170 battery pack, possibly/hopefully 120kWh pack (~365 mile range), faster charging, and refreshed interior (I'm guessing it's unlikely we'll see a significantly refreshed Model X exterior for a couple more years at least). Perhaps also more cosmetic options (colors, wheels, trims, materials, etc.), and it'll give them time to iron out more kinks with FSD.

Besides, I still do LOVE my 2012 P85. (65k miles on it, runs like new.) My original plan was to put 100k miles on it before upgrading, but I'm sure I'll cave in sooner :)

Reactions: holaev19 and ohmman
What? I agree that’s crazy. They redesigned the sheet metal and DIDN’T fix this issue? That makes no friggin’ sense.

Just to be clear, I’ve circled the part of the X that is different on newer models that I THOUGHT was redesigned to address the rubbing paint issue. I guess not...

View attachment 400220

They made one change where the door comes down, it's like a big round button. The part where it is facing the front of the car, they didn't change it.

i did read the blog post. it says nothing about new electronics to control battery, only a new drivetrain. The battery is the exact same pack. updated suspension would have nothing to do with increased charging rate.
See below. I have marked the relevant part in bold to help.

More Efficient Design All Model S and X vehicles now benefit from Tesla’s latest generation of drive unit technology, which combines an optimized permanent magnet synchronous reluctance motor, silicon carbide power electronics, and improved lubrication, cooling, bearings, and gear designs to achieve greater than 93% efficiency. Pairing a permanent magnet motor in the front with an induction motor in the rear enables unparalleled range and performance at all times. The net effect is a more than 10% improvement in range, with efficiency improvements in both directions as energy flows out of the battery during acceleration and back into the battery through regenerative braking. In addition to adding range, power and torque increases significantly across all Model S and Model X variants, improving 0-60 mph times for our Long Range and Standard Range models.

I would guess yes, you will get new hardware.

When it goes to build, go to your account, go to manage order and right click the link "view spec".

Select copy link text. Paste that in notepad or similar. You should see a load of 4 digit option codes.

The option codes you are looking for I believe are DU03 and SU03.

The current hardware is SU01 and DU01.

My X order just went in to production today afternoon. My option codes are DU02 and SU03.

I’ve got a 2017 HW2 100D that’s held onto nearly all it’s 295 miles of range...but I’m awfully tempted with this offer.

The ludicrous mode is one thing of course, but there are other changes that would be really nice. For example, I really wish my X had the quieter, “softer closing” door latches in the front doors.

@Seattle Tom I complained about latches on my 2016 MX and Tesla quickly replaced them with the newer ones. This is a known retrofit they do. Just tell them your current latches sometimes hesitate.