Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and Tire Repair Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had some bad luck and had a tire puncture on my front driver side tire. It was a slow leak, so took it to the service center and they offered to repair it if I sign a waiver or replace it. Having only had the car about a month, I went with replacement. I asked them to repair the old tire and I would keep it for future use. They had some issues with timing, getting a tire shipped in, etc. They forgot to save my tire and it got scrapped. Eventually had new tire on it and they gave me the Tesla Tire Repair Kit as a compensation for waiting and scrapping my other tire.

Yesterday got ANOTHER puncture, less than a week later, in the passenger side front tire. It was a pretty fast leak, so I whipped out the Tesla Repair Kit, hooked it up with the sealant and followed the instructions. Drove around for 5 minutes after the sealant was in to "distribute" it, per the directions. It didn't seal the leak so Tesla roadside happily picked it up and dropped it off at the service center.

Today I authorize a repair of the tire. A few minutes later get a call back saying since I used the tire sealant, it has ruined the tire and it cannot be repaired. Something about the foam soaking it all up, and it wasn't meant to be used on this tire. This is the same service center that GAVE me this Tesla Tire Repair Kit a week earlier. They want me to buy another new tire because the Tesla Kit they provided me ruined the Tesla OEM tire...

I told the very nice adviser that I didn't think it was on me that the Tesla Kit that Tesla provided me ruined the Tesla Tire that came with my car, and would like Tesla (or the repair kit manufacturer) to replace the tire. He is checking with his service manager and going to call me back. Am I out of bounds asking for this?

If I may ask, how much did they charge you for the first replacement or was it a goodwill replacement?

Before my Tesla, I'd never had a flat in 30 years. Once I got my Tesla, I had two screws in two different tires within two weeks: Screwed twice in less than two months! BAD luck or sabotage?

I had to pay $250 to replace the first tire (even though the TPMS was going off since I took delivery). For the 2nd tire, I took it to Discount Tire and got the warranty. They said it was not repairable and that they would replace the tire...but the replacement didn't show up before I dropped my car off at the SC 10 days later. Tesla said they were able to repair it. I haven't seen how much they charged yet (if anything). Since I got the warranty from Discount Tire, they said they would cover any repair or replacement costs.

Before my Tesla, I'd never had a flat in 30 years. Once I got my Tesla, I had two screws in two different tires within two weeks: Screwed twice in less than two months! BAD luck or sabotage?

Hmmmm, I just discovered a slow leak in our MX's rear tire yesterday. When I looked at the tire, there is a large "screw" in the center of the tire. It looks like the screw went straight in and drilled all the way to the end. I was told that heavy truck gets lot of these and the MX is as heavy as most heavy duty trucks. Going to take it to a tire center and see if they will fix it.

Hmmmm, I just discovered a slow leak in our MX's rear tire yesterday. When I looked at the tire, there is a large "screw" in the center of the tire. It looks like the screw went straight in and drilled all the way to the end. I was told that heavy truck gets lot of these and the MX is as heavy as most heavy duty trucks. Going to take it to a tire center and see if they will fix it.

Just realized that I never updated on the result. My wife took the car to the local Les Schwab Tire Center and they patched it and didn't even charge anything. Tires had been running fine ever since.

I couldn't find a thread talking about tire replacement on the spot when getting a flat. So I will ask here and hopefully get some answers :)

I'm waiting to take delivery of my X in a month or so, in the meantime I'm frantically looking around for accessories to buy :D

Leaving in Quebec with harsh winters, I was thinking about having a set of winter tires mounted on 19" wheels and do the swap myself twice a year. Starting from there I figured that I should get:
Tire Service Kit for Tesla Model S or X or 3 | eBay
Liftmaster 3 Ton Heavy Duty Ultra Low Profile Steel Floor Jack with Quick Lift

But then, what happen if I have a flat and want to fix my tire on the spot? I though that maybe having the Tire service kit always with me on the car would be good, but for sure I cannot have the low profile jack lift in the car :p

So what do you guys suggest me to have? I was thinking about something like this as someone here suggested:
Stop & Go International 1085 1085 Deluxe Model Tire Plugger

Do you have a good portable air compressor to recommend? And what about a good portable jack to lift this heavy monster of a X?

Thanks!