Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and Toll Transponders/Gate Openers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ABC2D

Dec 19, 2016
Home
I posted this in a regional section of the board (Sunpass Mini and Gate Openers on Model X) but maybe others have some input as well.

In my previous cars and SUVs owner manuals usually described in details where to mount transmitters and other equipment (radar detectors, gate openers, etc.) that needed to communicate through a shielded windshield. Usually there were 2 or 3 unshielded area (around the rearview mirror, and lower corners of the windshield). Here is a copy of my previous Mercedes-Benz manual:

capture-jpg.210102

Nothing in owner's manual of the Model X.

1. Does anyone knows if Model X has unshielded areas on the windshield? I need to find optimum placement for 2 items - Sunpass Mini and a gated community access transponder?

2. Has anyone tried mounting these transmitting devices into the falcon doors "roof" glass?

I have a toll transponder mounted right beside the (cable) channel that runs from the mirror to the roof at the edge of the windshield. Mine is mounted in the corner right next to the roof (driver's side). It works fine there. I'm sure it works fine next to the mirror as well, but I have my Blackvue camera there.

However, I wouldn't recommend installing a transponder where I did because it will get in the way of the Tesla-supplied sunscreen (wish I thought of that before mounting it there). I haven't had much reason to use the sunscreen yet, but I may in March when taking a long road trip. I suspect it might keep the cabin warmer by providing some additional insulation against the cold window.

• Informative
Reactions: ABC2D
Hi, I mount my EZ pass on the right side of the camera cable right where the windshield ends. I leave about two inches before the windshield ends and about 1 inches in between the camera cable. Its been working very well for. We gone through over 50 toll of many different states and it works every time.

if your siting in the driver side looking up, the ez pass is on the passenger side of the windshield almost right where the windshield is about to end.

• Informative
Depending on which transponder you have, yours might be strong enough to place wherever. I have this version of the EZ Pass, and before I mounted it anywhere I held it by hand going through gates. Worked when I held it pretty much anywhere, so I stuck it at the very top of the windshield, an inch to the right of the center cable. No longer in sight for me, and worked every gate in the NY/NJ area.

qcwOhky.jpg

View attachment 210242

It is in the manual. However I just put my transponder on top of the dash/instrumental cluster on an anti-slipping pad when I need to use it. Works fine.

Thanks, @outie, I saw the Transponder section in the manual but it does not specify any unshielded areas. I was under the impression that RFID small transponders (not battery powered, like Sunpass Mini in Florida) do not work. I'll check it out.

Thank you.

My DS give me this info:
"The windshield of your vehicle has a coating which blocks harmful UV rays. It may also prevent signals from passing through, like those of your toll transponder. We highly recommend installing a front license plate mounted transponder to your front license plate bracket."

• Informative
Reactions: MisterT2 and ABC2D
I put my Florida E Pass (the one with two suction cups) on the windshield to the rear of the rear view mirror. Therefore it points almost directly upward. I have never had a problem. You can't see it at all from the outside and unless you know where to look you don't notice it from the inside.