Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Annual Service Inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Timely post as we just ordered a Model X 100D with March delivery. I did not find much info on the TMC forums regarding maintenance but might not have used best search terms. I also figure with cost of car what is another $2k+.

I look forward to following this thread.

had Minor issues, service manager was going to do 1st year service but recommend just do 2nd. Said all they do is rotate tires(can’t in x), change batteries in kfob
Ck brakes, change wiper blades, inspect car. 2nd year he said fluids are changed
Recommended doing that service.

The actual stuff they do isn't that much...to me, the real value is in the inspection part. Just like my annual physical exam, most of the time they don't find anything, and I am perfectly fine with that. But if they do find something wrong that I didn't know about...it sure is nice to work on it proactively, rather than wait for something to go wrong.

Most people probably don't need it most of the time. But it can pay off nicely in others. It's kind of like insurance.

Timely post as we just ordered a Model X 100D with March delivery. I did not find much info on the TMC forums regarding maintenance but might not have used best search terms. I also figure with cost of car what is another $2k+.

I look forward to following this thread.

Wrong thinking. With the cost of the car, why is the service not included! That's how you need to look at this.
Besides, Electric vehicles are promoted as virtually maintenance free. So why pay for service on top of it?
The service fee always bothered me, as a matter of principle! It just doesn't sound right.

Thanks for replaying... yes, here is the link:

Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X
It is not an easy decision because of the cost. We went ahead and bought the three-year maintenance plan, largely because our Model X was one of the early specimens -- we took delivery in late 2016. And they do all updates, check everything, change batteries in the fobs, etc. etc. We are about to schedule the 2nd maintenance visit to the Service Center. It gives some peace of mind, I suppose.

I originally opted not to perform the first year service. However, I have a relative that works for Tesla in the service department and he suggested I should get it done. He said it was important to have the 'transmission fluid' checked/leveled in the dual motors. I just dropped the car off today, they are performing the 1 year service and brake caliper recall. I should have the car back tomorrow.

I originally opted not to perform the first year service. However, I have a relative that works for Tesla in the service department and he suggested I should get it done. He said it was important to have the 'transmission fluid' checked/leveled in the dual motors. I just dropped the car off today, they are performing the 1 year service and brake caliper recall. I should have the car back tomorrow.
I was told the exact same thing. Th firsts year is apparently the most important.

Are they not using standard DOT brake fluid? Why would it need to be replaced?

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs water from atmosphere over time. This causes that mushy feel in brakes and can prevent proper braking as the brakes heat up and the water boils. Most cars have some sort of schedule for brake fluid replacement. I believe on BMW and Mercedes it is is 2 years or 20,000 miles.

I took delivery of my Model X almost a year ago and I've been debating this maintenance every since then. However, they've been tweaking that page as well and now it seems like they're doing less and less work. For example, earlier this year they still had drive unit fluid service as a Year 1 item, but they completely removed it after March 18. And then after June 14, they removed battery coolant replacement from Year 4 and now say it should be done every 100K miles or 8 years. However, the pricing is still the same (at least the 4-year maintenance plan of $2,750). Oh, and they also removed the à la carte pricing for the individual years.

So right now I think I'll stick with my original plan of maintenance on even number years, but that would suck if Year 4 costs more than Year 2 even though they're doing the same work (due to elimination of battery coolant replacement).

This is the original service back in March 18:
service.jpg

And this is the current list (as of Sept 4, 2018):
service2.jpg

$600 for a new key fob battery and set of wipers is lunacy. The question is - if you were to skip a year and only do year 2 / 4, would Tesla invalidate the warranty? If they are like other car manufacturers, the answer is probably "Yes"

Reactions: kingleonidas
$600 for a new key fob battery and set of wipers is lunacy. The question is - if you were to skip a year and only do year 2 / 4, would Tesla invalidate the warranty? If they are like other car manufacturers, the answer is probably "Yes"

No, Tesla specifically states that not doing the maintenance during the regular warranty period would not invalidate the warranty. However, if you bought the extended service agreement (not exactly extended warranty), then you have to do all annual maintenance during that time period (after 4 years or 50,000 miles when the regular warranty runs out).

upload_2018-9-4_14-4-31.png

Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X