Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Anomalies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my X for about a week and a half now, put a little over 1000 miles on it, and preparing to depart on our 8000 mile cross country trip a week from Friday. Absolutely LOVE the car... however, there have definitely been some "anomalies":

1. Often when first driving the car in the morning, the lights stay on for the first mile or two, even though it's bright and sunny, and they're set to auto... eventually they turn off.
  2. Last night I got in the car to drive (of course with 5 passengers) and the instrument cluster wouldn't turn on. Pressing the break or attempting to shift into gear did nothing. The center display seemed to be working fine. I held down the two top buttons on the steering wheel and the IC rebooted, but it came backup kind of blown out, like the brightness was set to 120%, with a kind of white glow around the edge of the whole screen. Adjusting brightness did make it get brighter and darker, but did not eliminate the white "glow" around the edges of the screen. After 15 mins of driving it seemed to correct itself.
  3. The right 2nd row seat will not tilt, so the passenger cannot adjust the seat angle, and it's hard to get in the 3rd row on that side because the seat will move forward but not tip forward. SC says it will probably need a new motor. :(
  4. One day the rear hatch would refuse to latch. It would go down, no errors or indication of anything in the way, I searched for anything that might have gotten into the latch, or that the door could be hitting and found nothing. Tried multiple times, restarting the main display with the hatch up and down, etc. Tried closing many times and it just would not latch. Finally had to start it opening then catch with my hands and push it closed firmly, which then latched. It did this several times in about an hour period, then started working again, and hasn't happened since.
  5. On multiple occasions when I was showing the car, I had a falcon wing door open, got in the back, then climbed out (and I'm sure I didn't touch any buttons) and as I was stepping out of the car the doors all started closing. Only thing I can think of is that I may have inadvertently pressed the lock button on the key. That's how it behaves, but it comes as s surprise when the FWD starts closing on your head!

The car is super awesome, and as a software engineer and avid technology fan, I can live with some quirks. And it's fun to anticipate the next software update. I've gotten so used to flat UI design in the last few years, the big 3D icons on the Tesla display look ancient. :)