Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Any issues with towing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP can take a look just at the pics of Range and Charging While Towing a Trailer - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test to see the possible issues.

I've seen plenty numerous SCs where you can only back in with no trailer attached. Otherwise, you either need to park sideways and block multiple spots and SCs or you need to detach the trailer first.
Agree. It is probably still true that many Superchargers in more remote areas are still not very busy, it used to be the norm that I would pull into an empty Supercharger, but not anymore.

I am in the RV business. Keep in mind that most SUV’s or half tons lose about 40 percent of their range when towing. This is not just an EV thing. Our Chevy with a 350 lost cause to half its range when towing. The engine self destructed at 35000 km and then again at 60’000 ish miles. Sold it one day after the warranty was up.

Made it all weekend. was running a little over 50% loss running up and over mountains. Never passed a SC. I had to charge every time. Did well except at Breezewood. One guy wouldn't move to let me in. said he needed 15 minutes to charge which I can respect and didn't push it at all, but he could have moved over a spot. Backed my speeder into parking spot and was unhooked in 5 minutes and then he took off anyway. :mad: I got soaked in the rain for no reason. I hit SC in Hagerstown, Frostburg, Altoona and Breezewood. I met the Super Charger repairman reworking Hagerstown when I pulled in. He turned the charger back on so I could charge and got an education on how they work. FYI, Tesla knows when a charger fails, no need to call it in. they try to get a guy out to repair them ASAP. this guy flew in from Atlanta. there short handed.

Coming home I had one car parked right next to the SC blocking me from doing the same maneuver . I simply blocked 4 stalls. No one showed up until right when I was ready to leave. Turned out the guy parked in the spot was asleep in the back of the car and left at the same time I did. Guess he thought there is security at the SC stations.

X Sc hagerstown.jpg

X at WMSR.jpg

It will eat into your range. When pulling 4 bikes on a trailer hitch we were averaging 400-500 watts/mile going at freeway speed limits of 60-70 mph. We had to keep our speed to 60mph, at best, most of the time to reach our destinations.

With a full-sized travel trailer like that it's a ginormous parachute -- 50% range may be optimistic. I tow a pop-up tent-trailer with my Model-X that definitely reduces range by 1/3 maybe. More time supercharging on long trips, and fewer options for where to go owing to charger sparsity. However. As mentioned above, the fact that you'll be staying at RV parks definitely opens doors with respect to the range/charging question. Make sure they've got 50A service...