Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X AP1 is more stable than AP2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair post, @skilly. Thank you.

The sales people were pretty clear too - AP2 is not par with AP1 and certainly not to be trusted.

This was certainly different for those who ordered AP2 in late 2016, though. I hope it is better now.

wouldn't (didn't) hold back on my purchase because of its current state.

I think it depends on what you are coming from. I would hold back an AP1 car upgrade. No point in upgrading AP1 to AP2 now, especially with the rate of changes Tesla makes. Anyway, due to Model 3 related changes likely to roll over to Model S/X (new dash? new big screen computer? new battery? interior camera?), I would hold back a purchase now anyway - and wait...

Reactions: skilly
Fair post, @skilly.

I think it depends on what you are coming from. I would hold back an AP1 car upgrade. No point in upgrading AP1 to AP2 now, especially with the rate of changes Tesla makes. Anyway, due to Model 3 related changes likely to roll over to Model S/X (new dash? new big screen computer? new battery? interior camera?), I would hold back a purchase now anyway - and wait...

I moved from a 2014 P85D w/ AP1 - if I was only moving over because of AP tech, it wouldn't make sense and I'd be a very unhappy customer. That said, the Im very happy with the refinements in the X. And, I know that Tesla will solve the AP2 challenges. If memory serves their commitment was to have AP1 capabilities by the end of 2017....so there is still time :)

I have to agree that the Model S is long overdue for a design upgrade (but it is very timeless); however, the X is still a very new design. I would agree that they will adjust and upgrade the tech, but it doesn't seem as ready for a complete redesign for that platform. For the AP tech, I think its largely modular at this point. Meaning that it wouldn't be open heart surgery with the car to take advantage of the foreseeable AP upgrades....at least for the time being.

I do have to say that while the focus of this thread is AP tech and whether to hold out or entirely stay away from AP2 cars, what I would have been MUCH more frustrated with is buying my P100DX in any other month this year aside from late August.

I was looking at the car I have today with a price point of $171,900.00 and the next day it was $146,500.00 - I nearly fell over!! And, no one at Tesla knew it was coming, at least at the store level - I had to inform my sales guy who had to validate it was correct because in the pricing change, they had made a lot of mistakes (well documented on TMC) Looking today, in California at least, those cars are all but gone. AP hardware aside, being on the wrong side of that transaction would have been a VERY bitter pill to swallow.

IAnd, I know that Tesla will solve the AP2 challenges. If memory serves their commitment was to have AP1 capabilities by the end of 2017....so there is still time :)

That was the commitment? The only thing I remember is FSD departing from EAP, in terms of capabilities, some time between April and July 2017. And level 5 autonomy some time in 2019.

Not sure how AP1 parity would fit into that timeframe for end of 2017.

That was the commitment? The only thing I remember is FSD departing from EAP, in terms of capabilities, some time between April and July 2017. And level 5 autonomy some time in 2019.

Not sure how AP1 parity would fit into that timeframe for end of 2017.
Im guessing with a software release ;)

Really aside from the ghosts in the machine it does what AP1 does; it just doesn't do it well. That would be a software update to solve it...which we all hope comes soon enough. The video they released shows a form of autonomous driving so achieving that by 2019 also looks achievable. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 person

Really aside from the ghosts in the machine it does what AP1 does; it just doesn't do it well. That would be a software update to solve it...which we all hope comes soon enough. The video they released shows a form of autonomous driving so achieving that by 2019 also looks achievable. Just my 2 cents.

That isn't the answer to how AP 1 parity expectancy would be late 2017. The official timeframe was FSD diverging from EAP some time between April and July 2017. AP2 must be at least equal to AP1 for it enabling FSD features not found on EAP.

I didn't question the possibility of SW updates, nor how much parity there is between AP1, or AP2. Nor did I openly question the possibility of FSD by 2019. I was arguing that your quoted timeframe is wrong. They didn't promise parity by the end of 2017. The promise very clearly was that AP2 would be more capable than AP1 at least from July 2017 on.

tl;dr: They late, mate!

That isn't the answer to how AP 1 parity expectancy would be late 2017. The official timeframe was FSD diverging from EAP some time between April and July 2017. AP2 must be at least equal to AP1 for it enabling FSD features not found on EAP.

I didn't question the possibility of SW updates, nor how much parity there is between AP1, or AP2. Nor did I openly question the possibility of FSD by 2019. I was arguing that your quoted timeframe is wrong. They didn't promise parity by the end of 2017. The promise very clearly was that AP2 would be more capable than AP1 at least from July 2017 on.

tl;dr: They late, mate!

I guess I have my recollection of the timing off....sorry about that!

That said, Tesla is almost always off in their timelines with these things so its not an issue for me. I don't give them a full pardon; however, I just point back to the fact that this functionality is all noted as BETA. And, being from the software business, its rare to see anything cutting edge be on time and excellent. Usually, its one or the other...

AP2 in its current form is more about being on time than being released in a good state and look how well thats working for them. I think their challenge is that they can hardly hold back AP2 from release when AP1 is out there performing like a champ. As an AP2 owner, I would prefer to see the next release a stable and pleasant surprise rather than a quick and dirty revision that allows them to check the "on time" box.

I guess I have my recollection of the timing off....sorry about that!

That said, Tesla is almost always off in their timelines with these things so its not an issue for me. I don't give them a full pardon; however, I just point back to the fact that this functionality is all noted as BETA. And, being from the software business, its rare to see anything cutting edge be on time and excellent. Usually, its one or the other...

AP2 in its current form is more about being on time than being released in a good state and look how well thats working for them. I think their challenge is that they can hardly hold back AP2 from release when AP1 is out there performing like a champ. As an AP2 owner, I would prefer to see the next release a stable and pleasant surprise rather than a quick and dirty revision that allows them to check the "on time" box.

I totally agree with you on them rather taking their time. I think that's necessary, if we talk about things like autonomous driving. What I dislike is the unrealistic timeframes set by Tesla. And I do think a bit more honesty would be nice, especially if they are asking 8k for something that isn't working right. Because if I buy any other software that expensive, it usually works already. That's why I commented on your "late 2017" statement.

Not sure about this whole parity thing. I have a different yardstick to measure AP2

Got my X in late January this year. I was happy it came with the enhanced 40X faster computer, more sensors and addition cameras. Never experienced AP1, so that is not in my frame of reference.

When I drove it from my factory pickup, home to San Diego, I experienced a very steep learning curve. By the time I got home, I understood the supercharger program and application, destination chargers, and having the computer predict the state of charge and time needed at each SuperCharger stop.

Was excited to have auto pilot assist, but had no confidence in it, as I was just learning where it worked, and where it was unreliable.

Since then I have had 6 over the air updates, and the autopilot is improving at a fairly rapid rate.

I have additional experience, and don't totally trust it yet, but it is constantly getting better, smoother, more capable and I am gaining in confidence.

Expect it to continue to improve and I am satisfied with the rate of improvement.

I am kinda happy I did not experience the previous system, as my expectations might be much higher, but from my view point it is very helpful and I expect the improvements to keep on coming.

• Love
Reactions: skilly