Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X April Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the doors motorized without the premium package?
I can answer this question from what I saw in good details at the SC on a non PUP car. Yes the doors are motorized. The only difference between PUP and nonPUP doors is the self presenting part. The nonPUP doors have to be opened manually using the door handle (tap button). Both driver and passenger doors can be closed from the touchscreen or by tugging on the door handle from inside and also by tapping on the door handle from the outside (while in open state). The driver side door also closes automatically when you press the brake pedal just like PUP doors. So..I would like to conclude that the only difference is self presenting feature. I could not check if the doors can also be opened using the keyfob, I believe they can be, and I believe if you press the door open keyfob button they should pop open slightly ajar, after which if you tap on the door handle they swing open wider.

I can answer this question from what I saw in good details at the SC on a non PUP car. Yes the doors are motorized. The only difference between PUP and nonPUP doors is the self presenting part. The nonPUP doors have to be opened manually using the door handle (tap button). Both driver and passenger doors can be closed from the touchscreen or by tugging on the door handle from inside and also by tapping on the door handle from the outside (while in open state). The driver side door also closes automatically when you press the brake pedal just like PUP doors. So..I would like to conclude that the only difference is self presenting feature. I could not check if the doors can also be opened using the keyfob, I believe they can be, and I believe if you press the door open keyfob button they should pop open slightly ajar, after which if you tap on the door handle they swing open wider.

I haven't figured out how to open the door in a car with PUP from just the fob. What's the trick?

I haven't figured out how to open the door in a car with PUP from just the fob. What's the trick?
Have you tried double clicking the top center button on the key fob. That's supposed to unlock the doors. I am not sure if that opens them too. I was not able to try this out myself at the service center(it was a car being prepped for delivery). Mine has not been delivered yet so I cannot confirm.
Edit: I checked the owners manual, it also says that auto presenting features has a power conserving timeout of 48 hours after which it disables the feature. Just FYI, the manual has a lot of good info, some of which some owners might be confused about.

I ended up adding the premium package when I upgraded to the 90D. Looks like this guys message wasn't true:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 12.12.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 12.12.51 AM.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 76
I ended up adding the premium package when I upgraded to the 90D. Looks like this guys message wasn't true:
Yes, but it's sad how such basic info is not provided as literally bullet point based product training to Tesla staff. My findings are based on observations from the same nonPUO blue/UW X that I posted pictures of in my UW seats thread. So that again confirms I was looking at a nonPUP car (non perforated UW seats).
Edit: this is partly the reason I was glad I did not choose PUP. My main reason not to choose PUP was perforated seats(can get nasty with a kid), but I did want cornering lights, led fog lights with the sabertooth like accent lighting, ambient interior lighting and actuated doors. I got actuated doors, accent sabertooth light in fog light assembly (confirmed by anither post, I don't need foglights in San Diego) without nonPUP. It would have been crazy for me to pay $4.5k for the minor other features I wanted while accepting features which are deal breakers and I don't need. I can live without cornering and ambient interior lighting and use that 4.5k towards the Model 3. Oh more and more reviews confirm ventilated seats are not worth it.. :/ very happy for not choosing PUP. Sorry if this is a downer for anyone who went with PUP, I am justufying and describing my own reasons.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Librae and jeffaa
Yes, but it's sad how such basic info is not provided as literally bullet point based product training to Tesla staff. My findings are based on observations from the same nonPUO blue/UW X that I posted pictures of in my UW seats thread. So that again confirms I was looking at a nonPUP car (non perforated UW seats).
Edit: this is partly the reason I was glad I did not choose PUP. My main reason not to choose PUP was perforated seats(can get nasty with a kid), but I did want cornering lights, led fog lights with the sabertooth like accent lighting, ambient interior lighting and actuated doors. I got actuated doors, accent sabertooth light in fog light assembly (confirmed by anither post, I don't need foglights in San Diego) without nonPUP. It would have been crazy for me to pay $4.5k for the minor other features I wanted while accepting features which are deal breakers and I don't need. I can live without cornering and ambient interior lighting and use that 4.5k towards the Model 3. Oh more and more reviews confirm ventilated seats are not worth it.. :/ very happy for not choosing PUP. Sorry if this is a downer for anyone who went with PUP, I am justufying and describing my own reasons.

non-PUP has a decent air filtration system (PUP's is a game changer for me)?

@K-MTG see my response here:
Doors are powered just not self-presenting. Model X April Deliveries

I'm in BKK today and traveling to DXB. I'll be back in SoCal end of next month, and if you haven't received your car by then, will be more than happy to show you my car. I'm in South OC.

Have you tried double clicking the top center button on the key fob. That's supposed to unlock the doors. I am not sure if that opens them too. I was not able to try this out myself at the service center(it was a car being prepped for delivery). Mine has not been delivered yet so I cannot confirm.
Edit: I checked the owners manual, it also says that auto presenting features has a power conserving timeout of 48 hours after which it disables the feature. Just FYI, the manual has a lot of good info, some of which some owners might be confused about.

I've disabled auto presenting doors because they were randomly opening. I just want to be able to have the door open a crack when I unlock the car or have a way to open them from the key fob but neither seems possible according to the manual or the forums.

Congrats! Is the tint of the panoramic windshield adequate? Any word on sunshade? Would love to see photos, I wonder what the cloth seats look like. Are the doors motorized without the premium package? How about the spoiler, is it active? With store did you take delivery? Sorry for all of the questions
Tint seems perfectly fine to me. We noticed the red glow on the top of the car from our bedroom window this morning (I've seen pics from other people about it). We don't live in a very warm area (far northern coastal Cali), but the tinting seemed fine in the bright partly cloudy day yesterday. Doors are motorized. Spoiler is active. Rocklin was our delivery center (I'm not sure of the Tesla store regions, but that was the one assigned us. It is about 300 miles from here. I will be taking more pics over the next two days and if I can figure out how to post them, I will focus on the seats. It is a fun drive!

Reactions: mikevbf and K-MTG
Are you saying that in the nonPUP the front doors automatically open all the way when you push the handle or just enough so that you can grab it and open it manually?

bump
I am also confused over the nonPUP behavior of the door when it comes to opening. I am not sure what "The nonPUP doors have to be opened manually using the door handle (tap button)." means? Are you tapping the button and the handles pop out like the S or does it open automatically but only a few inches and you then have to stick your hand in and pull the door open.

bump
I am also confused over the nonPUP behavior of the door when it comes to opening. I am not sure what "The nonPUP doors have to be opened manually using the door handle (tap button)." means? Are you tapping the button and the handles pop out like the S or does it open automatically but only a few inches and you then have to stick your hand in and pull the door open.
The door handles don't pop out on the Model X like they do on the Model S. You press the door handle and the door opens. I think we're all waiting for confirmation from an owner on how much the door opens when you press the handle.

The door handles don't pop out on the Model X like they do on the Model S. You press the door handle and the door opens. I think we're all waiting for confirmation from an owner on how much the door opens when you press the handle.

An owner's perspective: On pressing the handle, the doors open narrowly or widely depending upon the position of the person opening the door (as sensed by FWDs since the front door has no sensors). It is a delicate dance and as @ohmman mentioned the only way to guarantee a wide open doors is to stand on the roof of the car:)

On nonPUP, when you tap/press on the door handle it pops open slightly ajar, and then you got to manually open it from there on. Source: tried myself at the SC on a nonPUP X.
On PUP, an owner can advise better. I suppose it would open as far as it can without hitting anything (when it works properly). Given that the sensors of the FWD are used for self presenting front doors, I wonder what happens when the FWD are already open and the key fob approaches the car.

On nonPUP, when you tap/press on the door handle it pops open slightly ajar, and then you got to manually open it from there on. Source: tried myself at the SC on a nonPUP X.
On PUP, an owner can advise better. I suppose it would open as far as it can without hitting anything (when it works properly). Given that the sensors of the FWD are used for self presenting front doors, I wonder what happens when the FWD are already open and the key fob approaches the car.

I honestly wonder if they're any different. On a PUP car, the door might also pop only slightly ajar, if you're opening it from the natural position, which is right in front of the falcon wing door sensor. The test would be to pop the driver's door from INSIDE the non-PUP car, and see how far it opens. This is the case where the PUP door will almost always open the distance given by the FWD sensor.

On the other question, I think the car stores some of the distance measurements from the sensors into memory. If I pull into my garage next to my S, and my daughter opens her FWD before I open the driver's door, my door still opens the correct amount. Just a guess, but it would make sense that once the car is put in park, it would save the state of all sensors and use those for decision making with regard to doors and wings and such. (And hatches, please?)

I honestly wonder if they're any different. On a PUP car, the door might also pop only slightly ajar, if you're opening it from the natural position, which is right in front of the falcon wing door sensor. The test would be to pop the driver's door from INSIDE the non-PUP car, and see how far it opens. This is the case where the PUP door will almost always open the distance given by the FWD sensor.

On the other question, I think the car stores some of the distance measurements from the sensors into memory. If I pull into my garage next to my S, and my daughter opens her FWD before I open the driver's door, my door still opens the correct amount. Just a guess, but it would make sense that once the car is put in park, it would save the state of all sensors and use those for decision making with regard to doors and wings and such. (And hatches, please?)
What happens on your PUP X when you press the top-center lock/unclock key fob button twice? Do they doors simply unlock while closed or do they "self-present"?
I wish someone just posted a walkthrough of PUP and nonPUP door use cases by now, I am brainstorming myself to sleep deprivation by now.
Edit: +what happens when you long press on top-center keyfob button. On a typical car that lowers the windows and moonroof to vent it.

Last edited: